|Minimum Stay||3 - 7 nights|
Monte do Telheiro is perched on a hill with views over olive groves, cork forests and the village of Santiago do Escoural. Shady verandas are ideal for long lunches and for watching the sunset after a peaceful day relaxing by the pool. The large bright house is elegantly furnished and equipped with all the necessities of modern living and all the extras that make a home from home. This spacious house is ideal for families or friends looking for relaxation in the peace of the countryside.
The quaint village of Escoural, just 5 minutes walk away, has bakeries, shops, cafes, some excellent restaurants and a weekly fresh produce market. Situated in the Alentejo wine region there are numerous local wineries offering tastings and tours.
Inside the House
• The first bedroom has an ensuite bathroom with large bath and shower and opens onto an outside shower.
•The second bedroom has a double bed and the third has a linked bed which can be set up either as two singles or a properly joined double.
• An additional single bed is available on request so that the house can be configured as three doubles (plus one single if requested) or two doubles and two singles (plus one additional single bed if requested).
• Each bedroom has air-conditioning to ensure a comfortable nights sleep.
• The second and third bedrooms share a bathroom with combined bath and shower.
•The kitchen is large and well equipped with electric oven, gas hob and granite work surfaces. The kitchen table seats 6 comfortably and is ideal for casual meals or sociable cooking.
• The kitchen opens up onto the pergola covered veranda with charming views of the village of Escoural.
• The utility room is equipped with washing machine and tumble dryer (although the washing line at the back of the house is a much speedier option in summer).
• The high ceilinged lounge is spacious with doors onto the verandas that can be opened up on both sides allowing the cool breeze to keep the room comfortable on even the warmest afternoons.
• The lounge is equipped with TV, DVD player, cable TV decoder (70 Channels), sound system with Ipod docking station. The book cases are stocked with books and a small library of DVDs is available.
• The dining room table seats 10 comfortably and the dining room table top can be removed to reveal a half size snooker table (cues and balls provided).
Outside Areas, Garden and Pool
• Under the veranda a large wooden table and benches are the ideal place to lose an hour or two enjoying the local food and wine with the back drop of the rolling hills and olive groves.
• Sunloungers and a hammock are available for soaking up the sun or that well earned afternoon nap.
• The 10m by 5m pool is salt chlorinated which is much kinder to your skin for those refreshing dips and the diving board offers the opportunity for hours of fun for children and adults alike.
• A child safety fence for the pool is available on request. The fence is removable and is made from a transparent mesh of a climb resistant nature and has a self-closing gate. The fencing has been tested and approved in both America and France, conforming to their strict standards and legislation.
• The barbecue area sheltered under olive and oak trees with Weber kettle barbecue and separate charcoal grill is ideal for perfecting barbecue skills.
• The large garden and surrounding olive fields are full of wildlife and bird life.
• Welcome pack provided on arrival.
• English-speaking representative available to answer any questions.
• Removable child safety fence for the pool is available on request.
The Local Area
The Alentejo is Portugal’s secret. Commonly known as the “bread basket” of Portugal the landscape is a patchwork of breathtaking plains and gently rolling hills forested by cork oaks and olive trees. Dotting the lightly populated countryside are beautiful towns steeped in history going back to the Romans. The major tourist attraction of Evora (a UNESCO world heritage site) is just 28km away. The surrounding countryside is ideal for walking, hiking, horse riding and mountain biking.
The Alentejan coast boasts a magnificent beach that stretches 60km from Troia to Sines. On the stunning beaches of Comporta and Carvalhal (an easy 70km/44mile drive) you can doze next to the turquoise sea to the sound of Atlantic breakers or while away the hours eating fabulous seafood.
This was an absolutely wonderful place to stay which lived up to, and in many ways exceeded, expectations. From the initial booking, I felt confident that the property would match initial descriptions and this proved to be the case. All instructions and recommendations from Lawrence, the owner, proved to be spot-on (even down to a particular dish in one of the local restaurants!). The house was extremely clean, very comfortable (particularly the beds) and tastefully furnished. Great book collection, too! This really is a very unique holiday house. The best thing about the property, however, has to be the exterior and the setting. There is an amazing view from every aspect; we had genuinely never seen such sunsets. Another bonus was the chance for starlight swims! The pool won our vote as best pool of the holiday (we stayed in three places) because of the diving pool and the depth. Our children are now teenagers, so safety is not the same issue, but we could see a safety fence available if needed. We didn't see much of the caretakers (everything worked like clockwork so we didn't need to) but they were friendly when we did see them and were obviously keeping an eye on the place. We have other commitments next year, otherwise we would have been considering returning to this lovely place. It would suit many types of groups as the living space is very flexible. Fantastic place - really can't recommend it enough.
After a very busy week in Paris we decided to relax in Portugal. On the advice of both Conde Nast and Travel and Leisure magazine I decided to look in the Evora area. This is NOT a tourist area which was perfect for us. Instead it is quiet, beautiful, pastoral area. The closest village to the house is Escoural. Evora is about 30 minutes away over country roads. This is a great location to do short day trips out and spend the afternoon relaxing by the pool in the warm sun.
We found the house immaculate with everything we needed for our first evening including complementary wine, coffee, tea, cheese and bread. There is a grocery store in route from Lisbon.
There are activities to do in the area and I would suggest that you take a trip to the cromlech (megaliths ala Stonehenge) and for sure see the Escoural Grotto that has cave paintings and etchings from 30,000 years ago. This is a by schedule only visit that can be reserved at the office in town. We also enjoyed watching the sheep, goats and cattle that roamed in pastures adjacent to the home.
From our first contact with the owner, Lawrence, he provided us with extremely responsive service. The booking was easy and he provided us with information about the area. The home is beautiful and every was as described. Each window framed a lovely view to the outside. The soaker tub in the master suite was an added plus. A caretaker and his wife were at hand to assist with any issues that arose (we had virtually none) and welcomed us as we arrive. The owner quickly returned our deposit upon exit.
I would strongly urge you to rent a car for this location unless you are planning on spending your entire visit at the house. The owner will supply you with explicit directions to follow from the airport.
Have already recommended this home to friends...
We had a very relaxing 2 week holiday in August/September 2015 with our friends and their little boy. The villa is as described and easy enough to find following the excellent and detailed instructions provided by the owner. The building itself is very well laid out and has lots of good design features to keep it cool even on the hottest days. A good sized kitchen with a large fridge makes big dinners easy enough and the barbecue got used on a couple of occasions to extremely good effect. You can get great fresh fish from the local market (only one morning a week) that go very well on the bbq.
The property was clean and very well-maintained by the couple who live at the bottom of the property, although they don't speak any English at all so miming, phrase books and a translation app on the phone were very much required. The only negative was that the pool net was broken when we arrived and not replaced.
The pool was a good size and excellent for diving and doing laps but for us was too cold on arrival (24C). There is a solar heating system that the owner had turned on for us but it is slow to heat the pool and took several days to raise it a few degrees. Having said that depending on your preferences it could be fine. The pool safety fence was excellent and very useful to stop little boys from falling in. It also kept out one of the older members of the party until they were shown how to use the gate!
The owner was always available by email before and during the holiday to provide copious amounts of invaluable information to any questions we asked such as best places to park and the like. He also provides lots of details of the local area and things to see and do in the welcome packs. Local amenities are good with many restaurants and supermarkets in Montemor-o-Novo if you want to self-cater. The village also has a couple of very welcoming restaurants and some small shops.
Evora is not far and has lots to keep you interested, and the local pre-historic sites are breath-taking. There is a local cave with neolithic cave art just outside the village but you do need to book with the visitor centre in Escoural for a guided tour at least 24 hours in advance. Arraiolas is also not far and has been a centre for rug and tapestry making for many centuries.
Would definitely recommend this property to a friend or relative.
A casa é um paraíso.
Adoramos tudo, o fato de estar perto de uma aldeia mas completamente isolada ao ponto de nos dar toda a privacidade de que necessitamos. É super engraçado para as crianças ver as ovelhas que nos visitaram todos os dias e fizeram a alegria dos mais pequenos. A paisagem é deslumbrante e muito serena. Fantástica para relaxar e estar com os amigos e família.
A casa tem tudo o que poderíamos necessitar, está completamente equipada com aparelhos novos e modernos o que nos agradou bastante.
Para além de espaçosa e muito limpa tem uma decoração fantástica.
Óptima para famílias.
O espaço exterior é maravilhoso. A água da piscina é quase quente. A mesa na rua tornou-se essencial e é muito bom comer sem pressa com vista planície. O grelhador é uma mais valia para quem está de férias.
Descobrimos imensos jogos disponíveis num dos armários de um quarto.
A televisão e o sistema de som também são muito bons, providencia musica para toda a casa e para a diversão no jardim.
Não consigo tecer mais elogios. Estava tudo óptimo. Nós vamos certamente voltar.
Parabéns e obrigada pela maneira super atenciosa como fomos recebidos.
Nous avons passé un très bon séjour en juillet 2013 dans cette maison spacieuse, bien entretenue et joliment meublée. Grand jardin, belle piscine et une superbe vue sur la nature. Un lieu très calme et très agréable.
Très bon contact avec le propriétaire qui a répondu à nos différentes questions de façon toujours très réactive.
The easiest journey is to fly to Lisbon (from the UK on British Airways, TAP, EasyJet or Thomson Flights) and then hire a car at the airport. The major international car hire companies (Avis, Hertz, Europcar and Sixt) operate from the airport or alternatively book with HolidayAutos for a range of prices.
The drive from Lisbon Airport to Monte do Telheiro is 114km (71miles) of which 94km (59 miles) is on motorways. The drive is very easy and will take about 1 hr 15mins. Detailed printable directions are available on request.
GPS co-ordinates of Monte do Telheiro are:
38° 32’ 34.92” N
8° 10’ 33.51” W
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£217|
* Approximate monthly price. Actual pricing will depend on the days of the month you stay.