Devizes Castle is tucked away in its own grounds, close to the centre of the town. A spectacular building with beautiful interiors which reflect the history and grandeur of this lovely building. Available to let as a whole for large family gatherings or special occasions, this is the perfect opportunity for you to be the king of your own castle. Overspill accommodation is available at Castle Grounds House next door where there are two further bedrooms available.
The original castle was built in 1080 by Osmund, Bishop of Salisbury and was a motte-and-bailey castle. It was burnt down in 1113 and rebuilt by Roger, Bishop of Salisbury, completed in 1120. He occupied it under Henry I and later under Stephen. Roger sided with Stephen and the castle was taken and retaken. It then remained the property of the Crown and it was used as a prison by Henry II and Henry III. It went on to become the property of Catherine of Aragon, the first wife of Henry VIII.
Important prisoners were held at the castle, including (from 1106) Robert Curthose, eldest son of William the Conqueror, and (in 1232) Hubert de Burgh.
In 1643, during the Civil War, the castle was occupied by Royalist troops and besieged by Parliamentary forces under Sir William Waller. However, three days later in the Battle of Roundway Down, Waller's army was routed by Royalist forces. The castle and town remained in Royalist hands under the military governorship of Sir Charles Lloyd who defended the town against repeated attacks and bombardments by the Parliamentarians. In September 1645, Cromwell with large forces and heavy artillery invaded the town and laid siege to the castle, which capitulated after a bombardment. In May 1648 the castle was dismantled following a Parliamentary Order, a process known as slighting. All that remains of the medieval castle today is the original mound, the outline of the moat and traces of the foundations of the great hall.
The present castellated Victorian era 'castle', which is Neo Norman/Gothic architecture in style, was built by the Leach family in the 19th century. It was begun in 1842 to a boldly asymmetrical design by Henry Goodridge, an architect from Bath. It was extended northwards in the 1860s and succeeding decades. The north tower incorporates the remains of a 17th-century brick windmill.
The building is now divided into three homes, including the main part of the castle and is in private ownership and not open to the public. It is the main part of the castle which is available for short-term lets.