This comfortable and homely stone barn offers guests a large garden with spectacular panoramic views over the rolling picturesque Perigord Vert countryside. Outside we have a large terrace with dining table, barbecue and table tennis and a heated pool with decking, table and chairs. On a clear night, after watching the sun set across the valley, the sky is alight with stars. We have even seen the international space station with the naked eye! There are binoculars in the house.
Ideal for families and couples wishing to explore this beautiful region; get involved in the many local sporting activites; explore the medieval villages, prehistoric caves and beautiful churches and chateaux; organise wine, pineau or cognac tastings; or just enjoy the local markets and restaurants.
Local sports, which are detailed further below, include lakeside and river swimming, canoeing and kayaking, golf, crazy golf, tennis, fishing and horseriding. There are two bicycles at the house for guests’ use and further cycle hire is available in Riberac for gentle outings “en famille” or for exploring local villages and market towns using the miles of quiet, peaceful country roads. For keen cyclists the area offers hundreds of kilometres of VTT trails (off road mountain biking). For walkers and those interested in wildlife there are forests and lakeside walks to enjoy. At La Jemaye, which is a 35 minutes drive from the house, there is a beach by the lake for swimming and there are also watersports, wildlife walks around the lake and restaurants and cafés.
Please note that whilst there is a long driveway bordered by a hedge the property is not gated so parents of young children should exercise caution.
Verteillac is a delightful and lively small town 10 minutes from the house. It offers a butcher, baker, a remarkable general store that sells everything (including lawn mowers!), ATM, newsagents, cafés, restaurants and Saturday market.
At 20 minutes away is the town of Riberac with its charming Friday morning market and restaurants, cafés and bars as well as large supermarkets.
Aubeterre-sur-Dronne, listed as “one of the most beautiful villages in France” with its cobbled streets and shops and restaurants, is 25 minutes away. The river has a beach for swimming and opportunities for tennis, kayaking, canoeing , fishing, and horse-riding.
Brantome is often described as the Venice of the Dordogne with the river Dronne encircling much of the town. It offers a beautiful mix of medieval and renaissance architecture, troglodyte caves, the river with canoes for hire and formal gardens. Friday is market day and the drive from the house, which takes about 45 minutes using quiet back roads, is in itself charming.
- Kayaking and canoeing on the river Dronne from Brantome, Aubeterre-sur-Dronne or Riberac.
- River swimming at Aubeterre-sur-Dronne and lake swimming at La Jemaye, 15 minutes south of Riberac.
- The Parc Naturel Régional Périgord Limousin offering 1800 square kilometres of walks, bike trails and horse riding. Its western edge is at Mareuil, 20 minutes away by car, from where you can enjoy walking, rambling, bird watching, hiking, cycling and horse riding.
- Golf at Pillac about 20 minutes away (9 holes and clubs can be hired); there is also an 18 hole crazy golf course in Saint Sévérin which is 15 minutes from the house.
- High tree walking at Poltrot near Aubeterre and also south of Angouleme.
- Tastings: Bergerac wine area (1:15 hours), Bordeaux wine areas (2 hours), Cognac (1 hour), Pineau tasting at Bors (15 minutes).
- Grotte de Villars 55 minutes away offers about 500m of underground cave networks scattered with thousands of stalactites and stalagmites.
- Numerous interesting chateaux and churches, as detailed in our activities guide in the house, such as the huge subterranean church in Aubeterre-sur-Dronne.
The house comprises:
An open, large lounge / dining room with a traditional wood burner, 3 settees, a Clavinova piano, and a dining table to seat 8 people.
Bedroom 1 on the ground floor has a double bed and an ensuite bathroom with large walk-in shower with vanity units. The bathroom has sink, bidet and toilet.
Bedroom 2 upstairs has a double bed.
Bedroom 3 upstairs has two twin beds.
The bathroom on the first floor has a bath, toilet and wash basin.
The kitchen is fully equipped including fridge, freezer, electric oven, gas hob, microwave, dishwasher, combined washing machine / tumble dryer, bean to cup coffee machine and picnicware for eating or drinking at the poolside table.