Stylish apartment located in historic Apsley Village, ideally located for exploring the Hertfordshire countryside and the delights of central London. The apartment is opposite the Grand Union Canal and a beautiful marina, and 15 minutes walk from Apsley Village with its boutique shops, restaurants and pubs. Hemel Hempstead town centre, shopping mall and the historic city of St Albans and Watford are within easy reach.
Central London - 20 mins away by train.
Warner Brothers Studio Tours (The making of Harry Potter) - 15 mins away by car.
Ascot - 60 mins away by car.
Hemel Hempstead Town Centre - 5 mins away by car.
The Snow Centre - 10 mins away by car.
Verulamium Park & Museum - 20 mins away.
The Rex Cinema - is 20 mins away by car.
History of Apsley Village:-
The construction of the trunk canal (later to be called the Grand Union Canal) between London and the Midlands through the valley in 1798 that began its industrial rise at the start of the 19th century. The canal gave an easy way of transporting the raw and manufactured products to and from the mills.
John Dickinson, the inventor of a new method of continuous papermaking, purchased an existing mill in the area in 1809. There is record of paper making already taking place nearby at this time. John Dickinson, the inventor of a new method of continuous papermaking, purchased an existing mill in the area in 1809. There is record of paper making already taking place nearby at this time. Streets of mill workers' terraced houses grew up adjacent to the mills. Housing for managers was built on the old Manor Farm, higher up the hill towards Felden, in the grounds of the Manor Estate, today known as Shendish Manor.
1938 – Apsley railway station was built with backing from John Dickinson Ltd as a way to bring more people to work at the Mills.
1853 – Charles Longman, heir to the publisher Longman's and partner to John Dickinson, bought the Shendish estate and built an impressive manor house.
St. Mary's Church (1871) stands above the modern Sainsbury's supermarket in Apsley. It was built to serve and inspire the workers of the paper mill that once occupied the supermarket site.