The old Racquet Club may be gone, yet the lore lives on.
Originally owned by actress Joan Fontaine (perhaps this was her Palm Springs pied à terre) and later by actor Tab Hunter (perhaps his desert hideaway bungalow or his private pool-house pad), seclusion has always been central and essential. The architecturally stylish property is totally enclosed, overlooked by swaying palms and embraced by ficus, pyracantha, bougainvillea, calliandra, dwarf bottlebrush, blue elf aloe, climbing fig, crimson flare honeysuckle and heavenly bamboo, with a large private patio and sparkling private pool. It boasts western views of the mountains that are nothing short of stunning.
The living / great room is airy and light, featuring 10’ ceilings, an Italian stone fireplace & mantelpiece and walls of floor to ceiling windows showcasing a spectacular view of the San Jacinto Mountains (named for Saint Hyacinth). The kitchen is updated with granite countertops and stainless steel appliances.
The bedroom, which can be closed off from the living room or en suite, has beautiful marble floors, a 10’ high ceiling and a large Fleetwood sliding glass door leading out to the breakfast patio.
This 1,062 sq. ft., one bedroom, one bath get-away in the beautiful Club Condominium complex, designed by renowned architect William Cody, offers classic Mid-Century Modern architectural design for the perfect desert retreat. The gated, secure complex is beautifully landscaped and also offers dedicated covered parking and a large heated community pool and spa just a short walk from the bungalow.
I am sharing my home-away-from-home for the first time as a vacation rental.
• Painting décor with Benjamin Moore cloud white walls and pure white ceilings
• Bright nickel and maple blade ceiling fans from Modern Fan Company
• Nest learning thermostat
• Vizio 48” flat screen television, wall mounted with a flexible swing arm
• Time Warner Cable service including WiFi
• Sutton sofettes in platinum linen from West Elm
• Ava black lacquered campaign desk from Pottery Barn
• Vintage French Round Belgian linen dining chairs from Restoration Hardware
• Barcelona Style Daybed, inspired by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, in black Italian aniline leather from Rove Concepts
• Grey linen platform bed with pure white sheets and hypoallergenic down-alternative pillows
• Queen size Simmons Beautyrest Bernardsville Luxury Firm AirCool memory foam mattress with Micro GelTouch
• Alexa white lacquered buffet from Pangea Furniture via Metropolitan Designs
• European sidewalk cafe table & chair set from Ballard Designs
• Sleek solar shades (discreet when up, dramatic when down)
• Gas fireplace design with crushed glass that twinkles in the flames’ flicker
• Kitchen appointments from dishes and cutlery to pots, pans and utensils
• Keurig coffee maker (for that quick caffeine fix)
• Whirlpool EnergyStar refrigerator
• Pool chaise lounges, arm chairs and garden stools
• Towels and linens
• Locks on refurbished Villa Fontaine gates
• Landscaping including French pea gravel and heavenly bamboos
• Updated electrical throughout
• Refurbished marble and tile floors with newly sealed grout
• Artwork on loan from my home in Los Feliz
• The City of Palm Springs Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT) rate is 11.5% on stays of 28 consecutive days or less. Stays of over 28 consecutive days are exempt.
• Housekeeping (every 7 to 10 days) is additional for stays of 28 consecutive days or less. Weekly housekeeping is included for stays of over 28 consecutive days.
• Please note that the City of Palm Springs Palm Springs recently amended its vacation rental ordinance to require a renter to be at least 25 years old.
• This is a small, quiet community secluded from public access, intended as a romantic respite, rather than a revelry.
• Pool heating for your private pool is an additional fee of $25 per day, however the larger community pool is heated at no additional fee.
• City of Palm Springs ID #2996, TOT #6392