|Minimum Stay||5 nights|
Serenity, clean water, beds for 14, waterfront and dock. Canoe, kayak, bring your own boat, rent a waterski/tubing boat with driver/instructor.
6 bedroom (four with double beds, 2 with 3 twins each, cot available) 2 bathroom bunkhouse attached by breezeway to kitchen/dining/living room building with fireplace and deck overlooking Caspian Lake.
One mile from Metropolitan Greensboro; peaceful, refreshing water.
My mother and I purchased the property from our cousins to keep this wonderful gem in the family; had been in cousin's family since 1947!! Rental buildings are not that old, they are next to the original cabin which has been renovated.
I live in Rural Strafford, VT, 1.5 hours south, but love the Northeast Kingdom and Caspian Lake for a writing, or reading or relaxing or watersports getaway.
Anne Penfield purchased this cabin in 2014
If you love rural getaways, clean swimming water, cozy family fun; this is the place. We can spice it up with waterskiing and tubing for additional costs, but if you want to windsurf, canoe, kayak, provide your own power, that is included. Turn off the electronics and play games by the fireplace, with or without a fire. (Internet/wifi is available).
Waterskiing/tubing boat available with driver/instructor at extra cost.
We had a wonderful week with family and friends. Property set up with bunk house separate from the main living area worked well for our combination of old and young adults (different sleep schedules!). Although we provisioned most of our foods from home (b/c we were feeding hungry several teens/young adults), we were able to supplement day to day for everything we needed from Willey's (general store - ~1 mi walk), vegetable stand (2 mi away), ice cream (1 mi) or nearby Hartwick (5-6 miles away for boat gas). The house and kitchen had all we needed for cooking/grilling etc. There are limited restaurants in the area (within 10 miles - although good pizza - Positive Pie - in Hartwick), so you should plan to cook/grill out unless you are day tripping to Stowe or surrounding touristy locales. Greensboro proper is very quiet and very peaceful which we knew from years of visiting family there. It is the simple life!
We originally planned to do day trips, but the lake was so quiet and peaceful and the weather was so beautiful that we spent most of the time at the house/dock. There is a local 9 hole golf course/tennis facility in town (Mountain View) where we did manage a few rounds of golf. We had use of our own motorboat and the lake was wonderful for skiing, tubing and kayaking (note: it is a relatively quiet lake with 1-3 motorboats out at a time and no jet skis allowed). Tried fishing as well but no bites. We thought there was a SUP included with the rental but it was not on the dock. There were a working canoe and double kayak. Single kayak and windsurfer were on the dock but out of commission during our stay. House has internet but we challenged the capacity with our young adults and their assorted electronics. No TV service (didn't mind although would have been nice to watch the Olympics in the evening). Cell phone service (other than WIFI enabled) was not available (again, didn't mind just good to know!). Lots of books, board games, puzzles available.
House has a beautiful view overlooking the lake - from both outside balcony/deck and inside (full picture windows on three sides). Handyman stopped by the first day and was available to help with any issues while we were there (collected trash and repaired a board we broke on the dock). Also a plus, the owner's allowed us to bring our two golden retrievers.
Great vacation and will hopefully be back for another week in the future!
Nothing fancy, but everything works and is just what is needed. The separate bunk house allows quiet morning sleeping, even with early risers. The kitchen is adequate for big groups, and the living room is comfortable. We had 13 for dinner at the big dining table. But, obviously, the best part is the dock and the clean, clear water. We had a great time getting 3 generations of extended family together here.
We have been going up to Greensboro / Caspian Lake for many years and have rented many different properties, on and off the lake. This property is now clearly on our list for a return visit for a variety of reasons:
- the views are spectacular! The pictures in the listing do not do justice to the view of the lake from the main house deck, the dock or the breezeway. Comforted by what seemed to be a continuous breeze, looking out at the lake will become your new favorite pastime.
- fun at the lake. The dock has easy in and out access to the water for people (steps make it possible for older folks as well) and equipment. The canoe, kayak, wind sail and paddleboard give hours of water fun (not counting the available speedboat and water skiing Kent offers which we did not avail ourselves of). The walk to the beach is steep but enough steps make it manageable for all to navigate.
- the house is clean and well laid out. There is plenty of seating inside and out and the variety of games and puzzles in the house can provide hours of entertainment for different age groups.
- the kitchen is very well equipped. Aside from a dishwasher, and washer/dryer (rare combination in the Greensboro houses we have rented) the kitchen has every utensil, pot, pan, dish, etc. you will need, even for a large group. The two Weber charcoal grills made outdoor cooking easy.
- the bunkhouse works. Having a separate building for the bedrooms worked well for us. People could go off to sleep, or sleep late, and not be woken by activities in the main house. Plenty of beds for everyone, and more towels than most other places we have rented. Most of the windows do not have blinds which is not a privacy issue as the windows face the lake through the trees, but the morning light does come early.
- the house is convenient to The Willey's Store. Like everyone else we go to Willey's almost every day and sometimes twice a day when we are in Greensboro. At just over a mile door to door it is walkable or a quick ride.
- The owners, Kent and Anne, were responsive to all our questions.
Overall this is a great property for a group to enjoy all Greensboro and Caspian Lake have to offer.
When our daughter became engaged last year she wanted the wedding held at the groom's family camp on Lake Caspian. With families arriving from Ohio, Arizona, and Florida I needed to find a rental that could accommodate us and our adult children and their families. The four bedrooms with a double bed in each bedroom suited our needs perfectly. We also had extra space for their children in the bedrooms that had only twins in them.
The home is very well furnished with all the necessary dishes, pots pans, and the dining table accommodated our entire party of 10. We loved the large open living area and the fireplace came in handy for a rather rainy, chilly day. Firewood was available on the property.
Despite being quite busy with the wedding we found the time to just kick back and relax on the dock and thoroughly enjoyed the beautiful sunsets from inside the home, on the deck, at the dock or on the lake itself in the provided kayaks. It became a nightly custom for a "couples" cruise on the lake at sunset.
Our daughter and her fiance enjoyed the property so much they had some of their "first look" wedding pictures taken down at the dock. I tried to import some of her wedding pictures and the beautiful sunsets but they did not copy over.
Working with the Penfields was extremely easy and they did a good job answering my initial inquiries and addressing any questions I had after we reserved their rental.
If you are looking for a well appointed, rustic, lake home that will accommodate your large group this rental will definitely fit the bill.
Patti and Dennis Gardner
House was perfect. Anne was very pleasant to deal with. Right on the lake. The lake was extremely quiet. Bedrooms and bathrooms were very clean.
Lovely lakefront property looking across the lake. Perfect for large families, extremely well equipped, kitchen games, kayaks, everything you need, and only a couple of minutes from the famous Willey's store providing everything you could need (& want !), can't wait to return next year.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event Price|
My Standard Rate
5 night minimum stay
for 5 nights
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£1,601|
Waterski/tubing boat only available with operator and all equipment; 2 hour minimum(trailer boat to lake) $125/hour first 2 hours, $80/hour after 2 hours. May not be always available, and best planned ahead to assure availability.
* Approximate monthly price. Actual pricing will depend on the days of the month you stay.