La Rondita is a fully-equipped holiday home suitable for families, groups or independent travellers, situated at the edge of a traditional Asturian village, close to local facilities and many outdoor activities. Located in the foothills of the Sierra del Sueve, La Rondita is equally close to the Picos de Europa National Park and the Costa Verde's fishing villages and beaches.
Because of this location, La Rondita is ideal for either an active holiday or a relaxing break. To view the house details, please see below.
If walking is your passion, La Rondita offers a number of walks both long and short that can be undertaken directly from the house without needing to drive, plus others that are slightly further afield both in the mountains or on the coast.
Fuentes, where La Rondita is located, has a train station on the narrow gauge FEVE railway, linking between Santander and Oviedo.
This coastline is also known as the Jurassic Coast and there many beaches offering actual dinosaur footprints, plus a visit to the Jurassic Museum of Asturias (MUJA) is a must for any dinosaur enthusiast.
Lunch is an essential part of Spanish life and stopping at one of the many Mesones (Inns) or Sidrerias (cider houses) in the area to try the amazing value Menu del Dia (set meal of the day - 3 courses with choices) is highly recommended. Also, La Rondita is fortunate to be located extremely close to 3 of the 4 Michelin -starred restaurants in Asturias: Casa Marcial (2 stars), El Corral del Indianu (1 star) and Arbidal (1 star). Gastronomy is a key feature of this area.
Recommended local places to visit:
1. Ribadesella - pretty, nearby coastal town with fishing port and beach.
2. Cangas de Onis - gateway to the Picos de Europa, popular tourist town, weekly Farmers Market.
3. Covadonga - religious shrine dedicated to Our Lady set in a grotto in the Picos de Europa, incredible mountainside Basilica plus also spectacular natural lakes set up in the mountains - great for walking!
4. Picu Pienzu - our local 'biggie'..this mountain is 1268m tall and offers breathtaking views across the Sierra del Sueve in the directions of both the Picos and the coast.
5. The Cares Gorge (the classic Picos walk).
6. Incredible beaches, both wide and open (fantastic for surfing) or small and cove-like (good for sheltered swimming and rock-pooling).
7. Oviedo, the capital of Asturias is 45 minutes drive away, small, clean and full of culture, curiosities and shopping!
Interesting fiestas to witness:
1. El Bollu (pronounced bo-yu) - in July celebrates the local chorizo bun!! Local music (bagpipes), traditional costumes, parades, and lots of cider.
2. El Descenso del Sella - the annual canoe race down the River Sella between Arriondas and Ribadesella on the coast, which occurs at the beginning of August. A truly international event, with competitors from many different countries. Worth seeing, both for the party and parades before and the incredible fiesta spirit that absorbs the town for these 24 hours.
3. Amagüestu - the annual fiesta to celebrate the chestnut harvest at the beginning of November. Live music, a traditional food and craft market selling local honey, chestnuts and chestnut products, jewellery, baked goods, freshly-pressed apple juice from the new harvest and many hand-crafted local items.
4. La Cabalgata de los Reyes Magos - every 5th January, Arriondas hosts a parade through the town at night, welcoming the Three Kings who will deliver presents to lucky children the following morning (Epiphany!)
La Rondita: La Rondita is located at the edge of our village, a tranquil and peaceful location. It has its own natural spring and is surrounded by orchards and beautiful mountain scenery. The River Sella, famous for its canoeing, salmon and trout fishing, runs close by. The house is detached and has 3 bedrooms, sleeping up to 6 people. It has been sympathetically restored and is equipped to ensure your comfort. Its English owners, who live independently opposite, are available for advice
and support and have an expert knowledge of the area. La Rondita has central heating and offers free WI-FI 24 hours.
The Property Details: Spacious open plan living room with comfortable seating area, TV, DVD player (guests are advised that there is DVD library in the house) portable stereo, books, games plus local maps and an indispensable information folder full of suggestions and walk details for the area.
Fully-fitted large kitchen-diner (oven, hob, microwave, washing machine, dishwasher, kettle, toaster, fridge-freezer, dining table and chairs).
Family bathroom (toilet, sink, bath with overhead shower).
1 double bedroom (big enough for a travel cot, if required).
1 twin bedroom (big enough for a 3rd single bed if required).
Beds, mattresses and pillows are all new (replaced in 2017).
Separate WC and sink.
Outside of these 3 rooms is a separate bedroom area (double sofa bed, with own bedroom furniture).
Bed linen and bath towels are provided; please bring your own beach towels.
Outside: At the rear of the property is a private garden with BBQ. Here you will find a terrace with peaceful and beautiful views across the village and valley. You can walk to a local village (10 min.) which has a restaurant and bar and the nearest town (Arriondas) is 5 km drive away offering bars, restaurants, cafes and supermarkets, as well as activity centres, parks and picnic areas, a sports centre and an indoor swimming pool.
You can walk to beaches next to the River Sella (5 min.) for swimming and sunbathing; you don´t even have to get in the car to go to the beach.