|Minimum Stay||4 nights|
Your booking will be backed by our Book with Confidence Guarantee when you complete your reservation online and finalise payment on HomeAway.Learn more
Beautiful Log Cabin on Lake McFarland. The cabin is located at the end of the Arrowhead Trail on McFarland Lake. 17 miles from the town Hovland that is located on the North Shore of Lake Superior, 18 miles North/East of Grand Marais. Arrowhead trail is paved the first 4 miles then a well maintained gravel road to the cabin.
* Property is a point with incredible views of the lake on all sides
* 2 large bedrooms and one smaller bed room with a double bed and Bunk bed
* 1 bathroom with walk in tile shower
* Fully furnished cabin
* New Honda Generator (Very Quiet) runs all the electric power for cabin
* Satellite WiFi (No streaming of movies)
* Private Point with water views all around cabin
* Adjacent caretaker for check in and out plus if you have any questions during the stay about the cabin or area or if you want to rent the two canoes. The caretakers are my retired parents and they have a fifth wheel camper during the summer months located on the back property line right before you drive out to the point where the cabin is located. (The point is completely private with no neighbors, only water on all three sides of the cabin)
* Newer LTE Cell phones (Apple 5s, 5c 6 Samsung 4, 5, 6) work in the cabin with the booster antenna. Apple iMessage and Skype work best over cabin WiFi otherwise, you will need to add Canada international rates for Verizon or AT&T cell phones before you arrive. $10 or $20 per month depending on plan. You can cancel it when you arrive back home. Cell phones work in Grand Marais and a few miles before Hovland. If you do not buy the international plan make sure you turn your phone off or airplane mode to avoid data charges. Phones in airplane mode can receive Apple iMessages, Skype and Email over cabin WIFI.
* Built in 2012
* Everything is finished part of ceiling above logs.
* Two Canoes available for rent $75 each for entire stay due at check in.
* Life Jackets not provided
* Large dock for easy boat access and swimming
* Boat ramp located 1/2 mile from cabin
* All sand swimming beach near by
* Mc Farland lake connects to the BWCA (Pine Lake or Big John Lake)
* Mc Farland lake has no motor restrictions or HP limits
* Located 17 miles from Hovland
* Located 20 miles from the Gunflint Trail area
* Located near Grand Marais and Grand Portage
* Border route Superior hiking trail access (Great for day Hikes)
We stayed at this property for one week in August 2016. The owners were excellent communicators and easy to work with. The owner's parents live on the property and are the caretakers, and were extremely helpful to us during our stay. The home is well maintained and has a beautiful view. We took advantage of the canoes and our kids enjoyed swimming in beautiful Lake McFarland. We enjoyed building campfires and stargazing at night. We took a day trip to Isle Royale National Park, did some hiking in the state parks nearby, and enjoyed a local festival in Grand Marais. To truly enjoy the property, visitors should understand that the house is a bit remote, and plan accordingly. The last 30 minutes of driving are on a gravel road, and electricity is on demand from a quiet generator. We were looking for quiet, nature, and a fun getaway for our family, and this house worked very well for us. We definitely hope to be able to return!
This rental is extremely family friendly. Large spacious upstairs allowed our 4 kiddos to have their own place and many hours of hide n go seek were played. Beds, kitchen, and bathroom all great for weary travelers and being on generator not an issue here. Perfect location to visit Grand Portage and Isle of Royale and the many water falls. Several folks we ran into were doing same loop of Apostle Islands, Isle of Royale, and Voyageurs- however, they were all upset about their hotel selection in Grand Portage. We feel very lucky that we found this house with EASY access into official boundary waters. Lake McFarland was very nice 20-50 ft depths that allowed us to canoe, fish, and tube/wake-board. You never feel like you are stumbling over each other as home has nice split to dock and another to sitting area- nice deck and yard with awesome fire pit. Caretakers were simply awesome to ask questions about area and get a good feel for house. When we had an issue with our starter on our personal boat, Gary did not hesitate to help and checked back in offering to help tow and suggestions for parts. I would not hesitate to rent again. (bonus points that this is one of the few VRBO's we have stayed in that offered extensive recycling options)
My husband and I stayed at this rental for a week and absolutely loved it as did our dog! Lots of fishing, hiking and canoeing options in the area and the cabin made for a great place to relax, nap, read and cook. It had everything we needed to truly enjoy the stay! Gary and Shirley were excellent hosts and provided the information we needed about the area. The cabin's location on the lake is perfect and the views from the cabin are beautiful. We will be back!
We were pleasantly surprised to arrive at this beautiful cabin after a long, 6 hour drive from the Twin Cities. It had everything as described and more. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here and we would love to come back and stay again!
Location was absolutely perfect for exploring the areas we had wanted to see near the western coast of Lake Superior. Boundary waters were easily accessible for full day canoe trips, including portages and shore lunch stops. The water was very clear, lake bottom clean, and swimming was really fun. We all relaxed on the pier and counted 17 falling stars on the night of our daughter's 17th birthday. The North Eastern MN state parks were close enough for day trips to waterfalls and hiking trails.
We loved our experience at McFadden Lake cabin. They were so accommodating and found us a second canoe to rent. The cabin was clean and comfortable and there were several outdoor seating areas to either view the lake or sit around a campfire. With the lake being directly next to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area, it took no time at all to paddle into beautiful, peaceful, no motor areas. Great vacation. Just wish we had more time to stay longer.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
My Standard Rate
4 night minimum stay
for 4 nights
|Notes: Rates are based on 4 guests; add £31 per night, per additional guest|
|Property Damage Protection||£48|
|Cleaning||£70 + Tax|
100% refund if canceled 30 days before arrival date.