|Minimum Stay||3 nights|
Cabin includes one bedroom with a queen size bed. Living room has a sleeper sofa for additional guests. Kitchen includes gas stove, refrigerator, microwave, toaster, coffee maker, and water cooler. Dining area in the kitchen and on the deck. Traditional Finnish sauna with shower. Clean Privy. Decks, docks and swimming area. Picnic table at the lake. Paddle boat is included in the rental. Fishing boat available for an extra charge.
Have lived in Ely most of our lives and always wanted to have a cabin on one of the area lakes.
David and Diane Kromer purchased this cabin in 1998
Looked at many other places; but found this cabin and property had the most to offer; in convenience, privacy and peace of mind. Thus the name: "The Escape" This property had it all. Beautiful sunsets, a swimming beach and gorgeous views of the natural beauty of northern Minnesota.
The view from the deck of the cabin or down at the lakeshore is amazing. I love to sit on the deck with a book, listening to the waves, and enjoying the sun and the breeze that comes off the lake. Steam up in the traditional Finnish sauna and then jump in the lake to cool down. It is truly an amazing experience. Fish for walleye, northern, bass, blue gill or crappies. Enjoy the tranquil setting and catch amazing sunsets from the point on the island. Use the paddle boat to check out the beaver house across the bay. You may even spot a turtle sunning itself on a log or rock. Bald eagle and loon sightings are common. Enjoy a nightly campfire under an amazing star filled sky and listen to the loons calling out to each other. Enjoy the peace and tranquility this island cabin has to offer.
We really enjoyed our time there! The only downside was the outhouse. It was very peaceful and we had lots of fun!
If it's windy, be sure to have a boat that can deal with the wind as I can see how the paddleboat could be hard to deal with in the wind.
Beautiful property with wonderful owners. Dave and Diane were both so kind and welcoming to us. The cabin had everything we needed to get away for a few days and the sauna was a bonus! I highly recommend this place to anyone who needs a peaceful getaway
This is a unique property in an outstanding setting. An island get-away that has privacy (with only one neighbor) and the property has great views from island trails. The cabin sits high on the hill and has nice breezes through the cabin. The cabin is rustic ( yup- it has an out-house) and the place could use a few upgrades and some tidying up; however, the sauna was a nice addition. The owners were very helpful with directions as well as being on time to boat us, and our stuff, out to the island.
Our hosts were very attentive and accommodationg. Cabin was super clean and felt like it was your own private place in the world. So many stars at night....and yet the proximity to town is close if you need anything. We love the Ely area and are especially grateful that property owners like these will share their special place with others. It brings joy to be able to be in a place like this away on an island.....thank you for that. PS when asked our 3 teenage boys loved their kayak battles out in the bay off the dock and loved putting glow lights on the tips of their poles for midnight fishing next to the wonderful fire pit. It was a perfect vacation.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The dock, the point, and the sauna kept us on the island and we chose not to leave the cabin other than touring around the lake on a boat we rented.
We highly recommend this get away!
Rick, Katie, and Kennedy Sterling
Loved the place. We picked it pretty late and didn't do the typical amount of research. So will put recommendations below. Before the recommendations though, other comments: great place of solidarity. Plenty of space to hang out and comfortable. Owner is very friendly. We stayed Fri-Sun nights and really enjoyed our time there.
1) Bring coffee. Dave had filters and a machine to brew, but you need your own coffee unless you can wait to drive into town the next morning.
2) I think most people rent a boat for the lake. We didn't since we wanted to canoe in the Boundary Waters while there. So we used the paddle boat to get back and forth to car for the day. That worked out great except one evening when it was windy. The paddle boat is not capable of fighting against the level of wind we had. If that happens where winds head straight between the docks, head to the back of the island and walk the boat around (recommend water shoes). Its a bit of work, but you are still able to get to the island that way. Of course, if you rent a boat like most people, won't be an issue
3) Bring any food you want to cook, etc before you show up. Dave gets you out to island at check-in and back at check-out and has room for extra gear. The paddle boat does have enough room to put a few things in back or on lap to bring things out later, such as a local growler of beer :)
4) Property does have an outhouse vs plumbing, but it was very clean.
5) Dave had plenty of wood for a fire, so no need to grab any of that before the trip. I would just check that he is still stocked when you reserve.
6) Its MN, so of course be prepared for mosquitoes. However, they weren't as bad there as I expected them to be.
7) Shower was in the sauna room. Awesome shower will all the cedar smell surrounding you. You will need your own bath towels and soap/shampoo (not provided). Kitchen towels were provided for dishes.
Highly recommended for a unique experience of staying on an nice lake island in North MN.
Located in Ely, you will also find the International Wolf Center and Bear Center.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event Price|
My Standard Rate
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
|Pet Fee||£40 + Tax|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£81|
* Approximate monthly price. Actual pricing will depend on the days of the month you stay.