House, 2 Bedrooms, 2 Baths, 4 Sleeps
Stephen F. Smith
About Stephen F. Smith
Owners Stephen and Betsy Smith are nearby Tampa natives. Stephen is an architect and partner of Cooper Johnson Smith Peterson Architects. The firm specializes in coastal architecture around the hemisphere . Betsy has recently retired from directing the non-profit Voices For Children (benefitting the Guardian Ad Litem program of Hillsborough County), and spends her days as the architecture firm's marketing director and playmate to their rambunctious rescue greyhound Leia. The couples happiest times are spent reading or snook fishing along Florida's magnificent beaches .
Minimum age of primary renter:25
Max guests:4 (sleeps up to 4 adults)
100% refund for cancellations more than 30 days before check-in date. 50% refund for cancellations more than 14 days before check-in date.
The house is great for relaxing and visiting the beach and the bay. Perfectly situated for an easy walk to the water and restaurants. We bought our fresh meat and fish from Shaner's Market every night and prepared delicious dinners at the house.
Thank you Marianne, you guys were great! Please comer back soon!
Charming Walk to beach
If you enjoy an old fashioned, authentic seaside cottage less than 10 minute walk to the beach, you'll love this cottage. Filled with character and reflections of Florida's seaside past coupled with all of the conveniences you need for an enjoyable vacation. We loved everything about Banyon Tree Cottage.
thanks so much Ken, please come back soon!
Beautiful cottage in an excellent location!
The Banyan Treehouse Cottage was just what our family needed! We stayed here for our daughters' spring break and it was so relaxing! Everything we needed was provided to make our stay comfortable. Stephen was extremely pleasant & friendly. We are already considering when our next stay should be!
It is a hop, skip, and a jump away from the beach. The location couldn't be more perfect. Extremely quiet street & friendly neighbors.
Thanks again, Stephen!
Great Location But...
Apparently, we are the outcasts on reviews of this cottage when compared to what others had to say. I cannot explain why as I do not feel we are all that picky. We have stayed in multiple VRBO properties in recent years and rarely have written negative comments.
Notes on our stay:
2 couples shared the cottage for 8 nights
• Great location; walking distance to bars, restaurants and Pass a Grille shops
• Charming “old Florida” atmosphere with a lovely front porch
• Appreciated the availability of beach chairs
• Owners were very responsive when we lost the Internet connection and in response to another issue
• Nice collection of books if you need a beach read
• Hall bathroom was not clean (floor, tub, window sill)
• Refrigerator was really dirty
• Cleaned the counters myself before we started using the kitchen (film of dust/sand?)
• The door handle to the hall bathroom fell off repeatedly; couldn’t close the door all the way the entire week after having been locked in once when the handle fell off.
• Uncomfortable beds – mattresses are very old with major craters (both bedrooms)
• One comfortable sofa in living room
• Very old and small TV
• Wi-fi service is limited – must sit in the living room to use it with any confidence it won’t cut out (not a problem if you don’t need it for work but two of us needed it daily for work issues)
• Front room is lovely but 2-seat wicker sofa very uncomfortable
• Could not use the gas grill; bought a new tank (owner reimbursed us) but just couldn’t get it to work. Both couples have owned gas grills for years so it wasn’t a matter of not knowing what we were doing. If a grill is that difficult to start, a new one is needed.
Please note that we did not inform the owners of the issues noted in our “downsides” as we didn’t feel they could be addressed immediately so there was no point.
Thank you Sue T for your review. We want to assure you these things will be addressed as we want all of our guests to enjoy their stay at our cottage! We have replaced our cleaning service since your visit and we will address your other concerns right now. Thank you again and please consider returning!
Really great stay--close to beach and short walk to historic area
Our two-week stay at this sweet Passagrille cottage was really incredible. Situated between both beach and bay, it was close to both water experiences. The house was outfitted with all of the needed conveniences with blender, queen beds, comfy couch, w/d, tv, study nook perfect for journal writing. Easy walk to beach, parking space allotted next to property, the kind neighbors, the ease of living...what more can I say? It was the perfect beach bungalow experience near everything! Be sure to take an easy walk to historic 8th street--the shops are small but well out-fitted with boutique beach items and nice local art in the small art gallery there. Stephen was easy going and made renting the cottage simple. We are thinking of moving to St Pete and wanted to experience what living day to day would be like in a beach community. We really got a great taste of it--we love Passagrille! Thank you Stephen and Betsy for opening your lovely home! We can't wait to return!
We just returned from our wonderful stay at the Banyan cottage. We had a glorious week. The cottage feels like home with all the amenities and is wonderfully located. We could walk to just about everything that we wanted to do. Enjoyed grilling Shaner;s fresh grouper at the cottage and having pizza and Italian dishes at Gennaro's. Pass-A-Grille beach was just as lovely as we remembered. We will certainly want to return next fall and will be contacting you in the future. Again, may thanks for a wonderful week.
-World famous Pass-A-Grille Beach
-Two community parks including tennis, basketball and shuffleboard
-Parasailing, waterskiing, jet ski and boat rentals
-3 fishing piers and famous promenade along Boca Ciega Bay
-shelling and dolfin watching excursions
-Some of the Florida's finest offshore and back country fishing
-Located adjacent to Historic Fort Desoto Beach and Park(rated the
most beautiful public acess beach in America,2005)
-Historic Egmont Key and Fortifications
-Wet and high-and-dry marina within one block of your cottage
--Historic 8th Avenue shops, restaurants and galleries within
-Historic five-star Don Cesar Resort and Spa
-Seasonal concerts by the sea
-Annual tour of homes
-15 minutes to downtown St. Pete
-30 minutes to Tampa and Tampa International Airport
-120 minutes to Disney World