|Minimum Stay||2 - 5 nights|
*** Now taking reservations for the 2017 and 2018 calendar years ***
Are you looking for the perfect getaway to escape with your family and friends? Our lakeside retreat on Cove Bay has it all... a spacious house, awesome yard (2 very private acres... see satellite map), perfect swimming beach (only 100 feet from the house, the swimming beach is shallow and clear with a mix of sand and gravel), and many kid-friendly activities. Everyone in your group will have a blast (adults and children alike), and we genuinely look forward to your visit with us!
Our 5 bedroom, 4 bathroom, 2,500+ square foot home on the highly sought-after Cove Bay (Mille Lacs Lake, MN) is only 90 minutes from the Twin Cities and situated on a 2 acre private lot with level elevation (right up to the lake) and 150’ of gently sloping beach, perfect for families with young children. Four of the bedrooms have queen size beds (one on the main level, great for grandparents) and the 5th bedroom has three bunk beds, one queen size bed, one futon sleeper, and a window seat (a perfect room for the children, including 50" television, DVD / BluRay player, and DirectTV)! There are also a total of four bathrooms (two full and two ¾ baths), and these are attached to the bedrooms for complete privacy... you can't ask for a better setup for your family and friends, with the potential to very comfortably sleep 16 people!
This two-level home also includes a fully equipped kitchen (for all of your cooking needs), spacious dining area (huge dining table with seating for eight and eight additional folding chairs available), main-level living room overlooking the beautiful lake, separate TV/Video room (with 60” television, DVD / BluRay player, Wii game console, DirectTV, and complimentary wifi / high speed internet), laundry facilities for mid-week washing, and an outdoor propane grill for your tasty Bar-B-Ques.
Mille Lacs Lake is a world-class fishery, with walleye, northern pike, jumbo perch, giant muskie, and smallmouth bass! Referred to as the "Walleye Capital of the World", Mille Lacs Lake was recently ranked as the 10th best bass lake in America by Bassmaster (2015). The lake also yielded four beastly "world-record" muskies in 2015 & 2016, each in the 60+ pound range! Feel free to bring your own boat… a bait shop and public landing are both less than two miles from this home, and the dock is yours to use during your entire stay. You can also book a launch trip for your group, or a private guided fishing trip that will create memories for a lifetime. There are many trophy fish to be had on this renowned lake!
In addition to wonderful fishing, this lake home also features 150’ of gently sloping beach, perfect for swimming (it is shallow for a long ways out, great for young kids, and the water is extremely clear). Enjoy a gorgeous sunset from the private dock or the lakeside fire pit, and know that the private setting (see satellite view on Google map below) will provide a very quiet and peaceful getaway for you and your family and friends. Our large 2 acre yard is perfect for spreading out and enjoying yard games, and it includes an outdoor playground for the children, basketball hoop in the front driveway, a paddleboat and six kayaks for zipping around on the lake, tons of games and toys for the children, and numerous activities nearby (see list below for some of the local attractions).
The rates posted below include EVERYTHING you could possibly need for your stay in our lakeside retreat... just bring your food, clothes, and toiletries! There are no hidden charges. We provide complimentary wifi / high speed internet, the laundry facilities are free-of-charge, the six kayaks and paddleboat are available for your entire stay, the dock can be used for mooring your boat (no dock charges), two propane tanks are provided for the gas grill, no parking fees for your vehicles, the garage is full of toys and swimming supplies (including life jackets and water shoes), the kitchen is fully equipped (free coffee, condiments, spices, etc), and so forth. We provide a "general information" package one month before your check-in with information on all of these amenities and MORE, including local attractions and many fun things to do during your stay.
The summer months are very popular, but don't overlook the fall, winter, or spring. Each of these seasons provides for very unique activities and many fun-filled days:
Fall Activities - Take in the crisp, fresh air and enjoy the beautiful fall colors on the lake. Popular activities include ATV riding (more than 300 miles of premier ATV trails make this the largest connected ATV trail in the state), biking and hiking (the Mille Lacs Soo Line Trail is the newest "rails to trails" projects in the state of Minnesota and provides a scenic tour for hiking, biking, and rollerblading during the beautiful fall months), and fishing / hunting / shooting / archery (during the fall, trophy fish are fattening up for winter, and Mille Lacs is also home to white-tailed deer, grouse, and various duck species. The Mille Lacs Wildlife Management Area is located on the south end of the lake, and it encompasses over 39,000 acres of public hunting land, all for your enjoyment).
Winter Activities - The Mille Lacs Lake area is simply AMAZING during the winter months! Nothing brings out the kids in all of us, quite like winter. If you enjoy quiet sports, there are myriad trails for snowshoeing or cross-country skiing. The Mille Lacs Kathio State Park also has a sledding hill with hot chocolate in the warming house. For the "active" outdoor enthusiast, the wind-whipped expanse of Lake Mille Lacs is perfect for kiteboarding on skis or snowboards, or ice skating. Don’t miss one of the lake’s big kiteboarding events—the annual Mille Lacs Crossing—held the first weekend in March. Or maybe you love to hit the MN snowmobile trails. Trailer up your machines or arrange to rent sleds... either way, the hundreds of miles of groomed MN snowmobile trails will provide a picturesque getaway. If fishing is your thing, plowed roads provide easy access on and off the lake, and local resorts offer fish houses for rent. These well-equipped fish houses have all the comforts of home. Hang out on the lake, play some cards—and of course, fish! Check out the ice reports, hire a guide, grab some tackle and fresh bait, and hit the Lake Mille Lacs ice highway for great Minnesota ice fishing!
We are currently taking reservations for the 2017 and 2018 calendar years. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask these in your response. We look forward to having you and your guests at our lakeside retreat on Cove Bay. Thank you!
My wife and I live in the Minneapolis area and we have three young children (ages 5 - 10). We love the close proximity of our lakehome to Minneapolis (it is about a 90 minute drive) and we have spent many wonderful days here with our family and friends!
Jason Wimmer purchased this house in 2013
My wife and I purchased this lakehome in summer of 2013. We had three young children at the time, and we wanted to have a special "getaway" for our family... someplace outside of the busy city where we could relax and create special memories together, that would last a lifetime!
As we looked at different properties, we had numerous criteria; however, there were five things that stood out on our list, and this property had all of them (see unique benefits below). We have made several improvements to this lakehome over the years, and we continue to make improvements each and every year, based on feedback from our family, friends, and guests. Right now, it is the perfect lakeside retreat!
Our family and friends love this lakehome, the Mille Lacs Lake area in general, and everything it has to offer. Now, we would like to share our blessings with you and your family and friends!
As we looked at different properties, we had numerous criteria; however, there were five things that stood out on our list, and this property had all of them:
1) Close proximity to Minneapolis (it is about a 90 minute drive via Highway 169, and located on the southernmost bay of Mille Lacs Lake, for easy accessibility)
2) Plenty of space for family and friends (the lakehome has 5 bedrooms and 4 baths with over 2,500 square feet, which can easily accommodate 16 people... all of our family and friends can visit without feeling squished)
3) A great swimming area for our young children (the water is shallow and clear, and the beach area is a mix of sand and gravel, awesome for swimming). The children would rank this as #1 on THEIR list of unique benefits.
4) A spacious and private yard with level elevation (the yard is 2 acres in size and provides for very peaceful getaways), and
5) Great fishing! We love to fish, and while this was not #1 on our wish list, we are thankful we were able to find everything above, plus GREAT FISHING! We do not believe there is a better lake in Minnesota to get the variety of fish (walleye, smallmouth, muskie, jumbo perch, pike), while also having the potential to catch a trophy. We have personally caught and released many trophy fish on this lake, including walleye up to 29" and smallmouth up to 21" and muskie up to 52" and northern pike up to 39"... the fishing can be an absolute BLAST!
If these unique benefits match any of the criteria on your search for the perfect rental home, we would love to have you stay with us!
The lake home was exactly as pictured. It was furnished beautifully and fully stocked infact the best stocked home we have ever rented from homeaway. We did not have to go to the local store for anything. We stayed with friends and a few kids and just wanted a winter get away to do some ice fishing. Sadly we didn't catch any fish but greatly enjoyed the house. Spacious and lots of room to play games, watch movies or just chat. We imagined the lakeview in the summer months and can't wait to be back. You will not be disappointed if you stay here. Cheers!
My wife and I rented Jason's lake home for a New Year's Eve getaway with a group of friends and it was perfect! It's a beautiful home and the 5 bedrooms made it perfect for us. Even in the dead of winter the property and lake view cannot be beaten. We even got a few games of battleship and Wii bowling in! I will definitely keep the Wimmer lake home in mind for future trips to the lake!
We stayed at this beautiful lake house for a long Thanksgiving weekend. We live in Florida but have family in St. Paul and since their home isn't big enough for all of us we decided to look for a rental home that would accommodate all of us within a couple hours of the twin cities. There were four children in our party 10 years old and younger. They really enjoyed the "kids room" which is full of bunk beds and a window seat. The home was well stocked with toys and games. We had three adult couples and we all really appreciated having our own full bathroom. The big dining table was perfect for our Thanksgiving meal and the kitchen was well stocked with everything we needed to prepare our meal. We didn't venture out much but the Wimmers are really organized and provide all of the local information you could need during your stay. Jason always answered emails in a timely manner. We hope to come back to enjoy all of this home as to offer during the warmer months!
I cannot say enough wonderful things about this property. My family stayed at the Wimmer's lake home over Veteran's Day weekend to celebrate my cousin's wedding. We had several out of town relatives and the house accommodated everyone comfortably. The property is beautifully maintained, and the view is unbeatable. Jason was very accessible and made the booking and check in process seamless. Even though we were there for a special event, we are considering planning another vacation just so we can come back to this house! I would highly recommend the lakehouse to any families looking for a relaxing getaway spot.
The Wimmers maintain a beautiful lake home and surrounding property. Access to the beach is great for children, mine wanted to go swimming even though it was October 20th. They called the play area the "Park" and spent a good amount of time there. It is a carefully "stocked" home -- from the play equipment in the garage to the "Movie Theatre", games and books in the house that were shared, and a kitchen lacking nothing. The layout of the home is exceptional, wonderful bedrooms, dining room and a "room with a view" overlooking Lake Mille Lacs. Favorite of the grandchildren was the bunk room - three sets of bunk beds, a queen bed and futon. We told them they could sleep there if they were quiet at lights out. Some nights that worked :) The owners were extremely responsive in answering questions and addressing the details of our stay. They provided very useful information about the home, and activities in the surrounding area. There were two State Parks within a short drive with beautiful trails and overlooks. This home is everything it appears to be, and more. Thanks for the memories!
We went in the cooler weather of fall, so the playground was a big hit! The kids also enjoyed having their own TV in the bunk bedroom! That was very special for them. We appreciated having the dock still in and the kayak, the owners were great to leave them in for us. As a group we loved the large dining room table, easy for all 9 of us to sit around for meals and to use for games once the kids went to sleep. Very nice place, we hope to go again!
There are numerous activities nearby, for all of your family and friends, including the following:
• GOLF: Izatys Resort is only a 5 minute drive, and offers the award winning golf course Black Brook, nestled within the Minnesota Great North Woods with natural water and marsh hazards, native deciduous trees and extensive use of wildflowers and undulation greens. The Garrison area (approximately 20 miles) is also home to the Northwood Hills Golf Course. For over 40 years, the Mille Lacs Golf Course in Garrison has welcomed golfers from all around! Finally, Fiddlestix Golf Course is located in Isle (approximately 10 miles) and is a par 71 championship course that spans 6,250 yards of wonderful, scenic terrain. It was recently recognized by Star Tribune as a top ten public golf course in Minnesota.
• 4-WHEEL & SNOWMOBILE: The Red Top and Soo Line Trail systems are just minutes away and offer miles and miles of beautiful wooded trails, for four wheeling, snowmobiling, cross country skiing, or hiking.
• STATE PARKS: The Father Hennepin State Park and Mille Lacs Kathio State Park are both less than 10 minutes and provide hiking trails, swimming beaches, fishing piers, picnic sites, playgrounds, cross-country skiing, 100 foot observation tower, nature programs, canoeing, and various other outdoor activities.
• GRAND CASINO MILLE LACS: The Garrison area is approximately 20 miles and home of the Grand Casino, which offers gaming (casino, bingo hall, pull tab booth, arcade with over 80 games), live entertainment (see their website for a full listing of concerts and shows), a 4-screen stadium movie theatre, four delicious dining options, and retail shopping..
• PLEASURE BOATING: Sailing, jet skiing, canoeing, and pleasure boating are great on Mille Lacs because it is wide open and has relatively little boat traffic.
• FISHING LAUNCHES: Fishing launches are very popular on Mile Lacs Lake, with many resorts and local businesses in the area that offer fully guided fishing trips and sunset cruises around the lake. Mille Lacs launch fishing boats range in size from 25 to 73 feet and hold up to 50 people. Many are even equipped with restrooms and grills for outdoor dining.
• SHOP & DINE: Browse the many shops and craft stores in the small towns of Isle and Wahkon, both less than a 10 minute drive. Or drive / boat to one of the many local Restaurants and Diners. A full list of local attractions and dining options will be provided to all of our guests prior to their check-in date.
• MILLE LACS INDIAN MUSEUM AND TRADING POST: Trace the history of the Mille Lacs Band of Ojibwe and discover how they have preserved their culture.
• HUNTING: If you are staying during the fall months, and are into hunting (or would like to give it a try), the Mille Lacs Hunting Lodge is located in Onamia and a short drive. The lodge is set on 400 acres which provides the perfect setting for many outdoor activities. In the fall, pheasant hunting is their main focus, and they can provide everything from guides and dogs, sporting clays, and even home cooked meals. The Mille Lacs Wildlife Management Area is also located on the south end of the lake, and it encompasses over 39,000 acres of public hunting land
• WILDLIFE WATCHING: We regularly see many types of wildlife from this lake home. Included on the list are turkey, white-tailed deer, squirrels (both black and grey), bald eagles, blue herons, wood peckers, gulls and terns, ducks and geese, humming birds, orioles, and a variety of song birds. If you are a wildlife enthusiast, you will love the private setting... surrounded by lush woods, panoramic views of the water, and natural beauty everywhere!
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£400|