Maypool is close to the best South Devon has to offer; Dartmouth, Dittisham, Totnes, Torbay. Family fun, fishing, water sports, crabbing, steam train, river cruises & walk to Agatha Christie's Greenway House. Try the cheese & wine made up-river at Sharpham, the very best local seafood al fresco at the Anchorstone Cafe, amazing fish & chips at Mitch Tonk's Rockfish or go upmarket to his Seahorse restaurant in Dartmouth. Don't miss the Ferry Boat Inn's famous 'Rock on the Beach' festival too.
Getting Around Without the Car:
• Take the steam train North to Torbay or South to Kingswear (and then Dartmouth). Greenway Halt station is a 10 minute walk down the lane http://www.dartmouthrailriver.co.uk/
• Take a ferry boat from Greenway Quay (less than 20 minute walk) across the river to Dittisham for the Anchorstone and the Ferry Boat Inn or up to Totnes / down to Dartmouth http://www.greenwayferry.co.uk/
Activities in the Local Area
• Crabbing on Dittisham pontoon – pack some bacon for bait and buy your lines and buckets over there!
• Hire a boat, kayak or paddle board http://dittishamboats.co.uk/
• Visit Agatha Christie’s Greenway House https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/greenway
• Sip wine at Sharpham Vineyard http://www.sharpham.com/
• Discover Dartmouth http://www.discoverdartmouth.com/things-to-do
• Tour Totnes http://www.totnesinformation.co.uk/attractions
• Explore the English Riviera http://www.englishriviera.co.uk/things-to-do
• As there’s so much to do in the area we took a decision not to install a TV in the house which has proven to be popular. Give it a try! However, the broadband will stream video if the kids need some entertaining or you need to catch that match!
• Breakfast– Churston (and park for the kids): http://www.churstontraditionalfarmshop.org.uk/
• Breakfast – Dartmouth (the legendary): http://www.cafealfresco.co.uk/
• Lunch – Dittisham (really good pub food and an amazing view. Get the Greenway ferry over but check operating times): http://ferryboatinndittisham.co.uk/home.html
• Lunch – Dittisham (only open 6 months of the year in the summer season but an absolute must for seafood lovers): http://www.anchorstonecafe.co.uk/
• Evening – Churston (we call this the spooky hotel!): http://heritagehotels.org.uk/churstoncourt/
• Evening – Dartmouth (Polish, good simple food with a twist, charming)
• Evening – Dartmouth (Oldest operating restaurant in Dartmouth serving burgers, great steaks and Tex Mex) http://www.kendricksrestaurant.co.uk/
• Evening – Dartmouth, Brixham & Torquay (absolutely fabulous licensed Fish and Chip restaurants) http://www.therockfish.co.uk/
• Evening – Dartmouth (Upmarket English specialising in seafood, will need advance booking) http://www.seahorserestaurant.co.uk/
Do also have a look at this article for some excellent suggestions: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/united-kingdom/england/devon/articles/devon-restaurants/
This is our preferred short list but it is only a short list!