|Minimum Stay||3 nights|
The Yellow House is a light and bright, relaxed living village cottage that has everything you need for your Harbor Country/Lake Michigan Shore Appellation getaway. Uniquely situated, it provides a degree of privacy while being walking distance to village amenities.
Please scroll down to the bottom of the listing to view Guest Comments, as most guests leave their comments in The Yellow House guest book in the property.
Enjoy your morning coffee or an evening glass of wine sitting on the front porch rockers, at the vintage oak dining table or on the deck facing a beautiful scenic meadow with pine trees.
The open concept layout features a kitchen that's open to the living and dining areas and is stocked with the basic necessities for in-cottage meals.
The dining area has French doors that open to the rear deck with gas grill, patio seating area, and yard facing the meadow. The living area has two seating areas (two couches), three counter stools, a flat screen TV, DVD, and CD player.
The layout is ideal for those who prefer the convenience of having all necessities, including the main bedroom, bathroom, and stack washer/dryer, on the first floor.
Bedroom #1 (main floor)): Luxury Stearns & Foster queen-size bed, quality bedding, chest of drawers, ceiling fan.
Bedroom #2 (upstairs): Luxury Stearns & Foster queen-size bed, quality bedding, cabinet dresser with drawers, ceiling fan.
Den (upstairs): reading chair with footstool and desk (Complimentary WIFI provided), books, ceiling fan.
Walking distance to main street attractions and activities including the new Carver Park Pavilion, The Farmer's Market (Saturdays - summer through early fall), Journeyman, The Vickers and Acorn Theaters, Bistro Cafe, Froelich's, Viola's, Drier's Meat Market and several galleries and antique shops. The playground and community garden park behind the elementary school is one block away.
Three Oaks is centrally located in Harbor Country and about a ten minute scenic drive to three beautiful beaches including the New Buffalo city beach, Townline Beach in Union Pier, and Warren Dunes State Park in Sawyer. Take your pick or visit all three; they all have a different feel and amenities.
Bicycle from the door; the cottage is near the staging area for The Apple Cider Century fall bike tour and Backroads Bikeways trails. The Dewey Cannon Trading Post, which rents bicycles, is only several blocks away.
The wineries of the Lake Michigan Shore Wine Trail are a short 15-minute drive. Whittaker Woods, a beautiful public golf course, and the Four Winds Casino are also just minutes away.
Don't forget to explore the new Galien River County Park with its boardwalk and elevated scenic outlook.
The Yellow House provides a conveniently located charming respite with road activity in front of the house (how many times can you say you've seen a farm tractor going by your front porch)? It's located on Ash Street (also known as the historic Route 12 Heritage Trail), two lanes going through the residential area of the village that also connect the various areas of Harbor Country. The back features a lovely yard adjoining a private scenic meadow. Whether “hanging out” or for base camp, solo renters or couples will also feel comfortable with the scale. Sleeps four.
Please see the Guest Book comments (scroll down) along with reviews!
For a rate quote, please enter your dates at the top right of the listing, click the "instant quote" link, then "view details" next to the final price.
As Michigan natives who've had a love affair with Lake Michigan for a very long time, moving to Harbor Country was an easy choice after living in Chicago for many years. Three Oaks is a fascinating community with its blend of local and relo residents.
One of the 'rites of passage' for living here seems to be: a) having a pretty interesting story about how you arrived, and b) renovating a vintage property that can bring the bravest to their knees! The Yellow House was built in 1915. It was last renovated about ten years ago.
Three Oaks is a comfortable, artsy, safe, and quiet village. It provides easy access to Chicago, South Bend, St. Joseph, Michigan City, beautiful nearby beaches, and all your favorite Harbor Country/Lake Michigan Shore Appellation areas and activities.
Cute and clean little house, adorable backyard (love the privacy out back)! We had a wonderful weekend; great little town!
The Yellow House has the inviting warmth of a vintage farmhouse. The cottage has updated conveniences with touches of nostalgia that are eclectic and lovely. The property is pristine and the beds are very comfortable. I liked that you can sit on the front porch and have street activity (enjoyed reading the framed sign on the porch that the Route 12 Heritage Trail roots are that of a prehistoric trail) or have serenity in the back with the deck, giant fallen tree limb, and view to the meadow. Very peaceful. The house next door added some mystery as to who had lived there as well as the huge property across the street.
Three Oaks has small town community charm. I liked that Elm Street is in walking distance with all the amenities you'd need from restaurants and services to shops and boutiques. Journeyman is a really state-of-the-art distillery. A mile or two out, there's the countryside. If you want noisy nightlife, New Buffalo is a short drive.The Galien County Park overlook is just beautiful, as well as the pristine beaches.
The yellow house is nicely decorated, clean, and well maintained. There are several beaches in the area, some within a 10-15 minute drive. The home was nicely furnished, great kitchen and big meadow for a back yard. On the downside It can be very noisy at night, the house is on a busy street. It was hot the first few days we were there, and the top floor does not cool off well. I think this was an unusually warm week. The town of Three Oaks is friendly and laid back. Would love to visit here again.
We had a great stay at the yellow house. Its a lovely, cozy, comfortable house that's well stocked. All we needed was clothing. Only a 10-15 minute drive to 3 different beaches. We really enjoyed Warren dunes stare park/beach. It's centrally located to beaches/shops/good restaurants/breweries/distillery. Catherine was very friendly and easy to deal with and contact, most helpful. Glad that we stayed here and would love to return to the area.
1) Location, location, location. You really can walk to everything in downtown Three Oaks, MI. We took a wine tour through Grape and Grain tours and the tour operator picked us up directly from the home--very convenient.
2) The property is beautiful and well-maintained. There is an "eye-sore" of a property directly to the east (abandoned home), but it really didn't detract from our visit.
3) The owner graciously provided us a bottle of wine, a fresh floral arrangement, and detailed information on the community as well as information on the property. Very easy to find everything.
4) Owner is very responsive and helpful.
1) The property is located on a rather busy highway. The bedrooms face the highway and you will hear traffic at night. I am a very light sleeper, but I brought earplugs and didn't have any issues with noise. Just be forewarned that the bedrooms are not "tranquil."
2) The water on the property is most likely well water. It's drinkable, but it doesn't taste or smell very good. I highly recommend you bring your own drinking water. It would be great if the owners would install a water filtration system.
3) We were charged a fairly hefty cleaning fee despite the fact that the owner left us a list of "chores" to complete before checkout including sweeping floors, taking out trash, doing dishes, stripping bedding and towels, etc. It took us about an hour to clean the house prior to our departure (and we're very neat people), so budget that time in accordingly on your check-out day. I'm not certain what the cleaning fee was for because we practically cleaned the house ourselves. I suggest the owner either reduce the cleaning fee or reduce the chore list upon check-out.
4) I would suggest the owner not have guests place dirty linens in the bathtub because linens could easily be ruined by any soaps or residues left in the tub. I would suggest putting dirty linens in a hamper.
Overall, this is a comfortable and well-maintained property, though I probably wouldn't stay here again due to the water, noise and "cleaning" issues.
The rental was everything that was promised!! Wonderful size for 3 adults. We enjoyed eating on the back porch overlooking the meadow and sitting on the patio at the side of the house. It had all the necessities, and Catherine was wonderful.She responded to emails immediately and gave us lots of ideas for restaurants, beaches etc.We loved the area with the beautiful sand and charming lake towns.
Had a great time all around. Rental experience was great, Catherine is very responsive and provided several suggestions for activities and Local restaurants. Was traveling with a 3 year old and was convenient having a large park right across the street. Some great local brew pubs and wineries in the area that we also found very kid friendly.
Unit itself was very clean and has ample space. Great backyard and is a short drive to multiple local beaches. Nice touches like a welcome note and bottle of wine really set the rental experience apart.
Would highly recommend and definitely stay again!
• Walking distance to galleries, shops, and restaurants
• Walking distance to the Acorn and Vickers Theaters, Journeyman Distillery
• Minutes from area beaches
• 15 minutes from the Lake Michigan Shore Wine Trail
• Home of the Apple Cider Century Bike Tour and numerous bike trails
• One block to playground
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£162|
|Property Damage Protection||£48|
Shorter stays are considered. Related fees remain the same. Please contact us for further information!