|Minimum Stay||3 nights|
Your booking will be backed by our Book with Confidence Guarantee when you complete your reservation online and finalise payment on HomeAway.Learn more
For Hunters, Fisherman, canoeing or kakaking, 3 bedroom 2 bath house on property. 18 acres. Close to Lake Okeechobee and Lykes Brothers Hunting; 3 miles from Kissemmee River. Beautiful Oaks, peaceful. Full Kitchen. New appliances. Gas Stove. Master chef grill on patio. If you want to just get away from the city and be in the country, this offers all and is 25 min from Okeechobee or Sebring. Smoking on patio permitted. Pets permitted with pet fee.
I am a nurse-attorney and this is my get away second home. My dad used it as a hunting camp and then as a home where he had started a blueberry farm. I am a Florida native. I grew up in Miami and now live in Tampa.
Linda Commons purchased this house in 1996
I love the area and the people who are really friendly. My neighbor grazes her mini horses on the property in the back. You an feed them small pieces of apples and carrots. The front area is about 5 acres and is fenced.
Close to Lake Okeechobee - 25 min.
3 miles from the Kissimmee River
30 min from Sebring
Horsebackriding in the area
Fishing and Hunting
We were looking to escape the Vermont winter to a dog-friendly place with some privacy and quiet. This place turned out to be pretty close to ideal. The fenced yard is *huge* (5 acres or more) with a mix of lawn and beautiful old live oak trees, with some orange and palmetto mixed in. The house itself is comfortable and well-appointed: decent eat-in kitchen (with dishwasher and gas range), large living area with recliners and an excellent HD television (with Dish Network) and a very large screened lanai. Ceiling fans throughout, though the a/c (and heat) work well, too. Bedrooms (3, though one is quite small) and bathrooms (2, one with large step-in shower) are also quite nice. Washer and dryer in the garage.
Some caveats, however: this is a country house in the middle of Florida’s cattle country, with all that implies:
• Water is from a well and the taste may not be to your liking (we used mostly water bought in jugs for drinking, but cooking and cleaning with the tap water was fine.)
• There is a lovely country store ¼ mile away, with basics like milk, bread, eggs and water (and ice cream!) Also some excellent barbecue – we ate a lot of their pulled-pork sandwiches!
However, for almost anything else…you’ll have to travel *at least* 15-20 minutes to Okeechobee.
• Though cellphone reception (Verizon at least) is very good, the house *does not have Internet.* We ran up substantial over-limit data charges with Verizon during our stay.
• Kissimmee Prairie Preserve State Park is 20 minutes away – this is an extraordinary example of central Florida as it was, before it got so extensively worked over by man. We made 5-6 visits to this park for bird watching, hiking and on one occasion a guided “swamp buggy” tour (which is highly recommended.)
• The Atlantic beaches are just over an hour away, including Hobe Sound National Wildlife Refuge (an amazingly unspoiled stretch.)
• Night skies in the winter time were awesome…very little light pollution out there.
• Okeechobee Cattle Auction (on Mondays and Tuesdays) is a trip!
We came down for the costa fishing tournament. It was a short drive to Okeechobee. We really enjoyed the property with the mini horses our kids loved feeding them. The back deck was great for breakfast and our kids loved playing out there. The house sits back off the road which gives you so much privacy. My husband fished all week. My kids, mother n law and I drove over to Palm Beach a few days which is about an 1 1/2 hours away. The house was great and the owner was very helpful and nice with any questions. I would give info to this house to anyone. Thank you and we will talk again for our next stay.
This property was completely misrepresented. We arrived to experience a foul, moldy odor throughout the home that would not air out. It caused upper respiratory reactions in two of our group and we had to give a Benadryl to our daughter so she could be in the home. We had to clean for 2 hours, but to no avail. The kitchen sink had stains and paint in both sides of it and looked as if it had not been cleaned in quite a while. We contacted the owner and told her that we could not stay there. She would not meet us to return our money but would "mail it to us." Two weeks later when the money still had not arrived she told us via text message that she would NOT give us our money back. We clearly did not stay there....left immediately after contacting the owner. We had to find another place to stay, on very short notice and pay again for our vacation.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event Price|
1 Nov 2016 - 3 Apr 2017
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
My Standard Rate
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£409|
|Property Damage Protection||£81|
* Approximate monthly price. Actual pricing will depend on the days of the month you stay.