(Text automatically translated) Very quiet with a view over the sea and stunning mountain and perfect for a holiday with friends or family.
- House2368 sq. ft.
- Separate WCs0
- Min. Stay5 nights
- Response rate:
- Response time:
- within a few hours
- english, french, spanish, portuguese
- Calendar last updated:
- 13 Nov 2018
Cancelled bookings will not receive a refund.
Clean, well maintained, historic charming - with some quirks
This property is very clean, well maintained, and charming. It has a wonderful rooftop terrace/deck with beautiful views. We stayed in the main house and it is what I would consider renovated historic. As such, it has some quirky features that often accompany historic structures. I would reiterate some of the comments we found in previous reviews, and add a few more:
- The property is accessed by a very steep and narrow road which requires skillful driving and steady nerves.
- There are many lava rock steps to be negotiated, inside and out. Our mother, with our help, managed them, but the consequences of a fall could be serious.
- Do not rely on GPS to direct you to the property. Print out the home’s location on a map and bring it with you. The manager is very friendly and available for help if needed.
- There was no welcome package – that would be so helpful!
- The home was spotlessly clean, with no general supplies around. Be prepared to have to purchase everything you need for your stay. There is an excellent grocery store down the hill a couple miles.
- The home appears to be part of a compound with either one or two other rental structures within the walls of the compound. There are outside spaces (gardens, picnic table, etc) and I assume that they are shared. There was a couple staying in the building adjacent to us and the path to get from their car to their unit took them right by our house and in front of the big round living room window (which we loved!). They would peer in through the window which we found unpleasant. There was no curtain on the window, and, if there had been, we would have been sad to have used it since the view of the flowers and gardens was so lovely.
- The bedroom/bathroom layout is very odd and potentially awkward and uncomfortable. There is one bedroom on the ground floor and it has its own bathroom. There is a full bathroom (with tub/shower unit) on the ground floor located between the dining room and the living room. There are three bedrooms on the second floor, with one bedroom having a full bath attached. The occupants of the other two bedrooms must either go through the upstairs bedroom or go downstairs and through the dining room to access a bathroom.
- And lastly, there must be a dog kennel up the hill, as there was often times a chorus of dogs talking to each other.
To sum it up, we loved our vacation and were not unhappy with our accommodations – it had many wonderful attributes.
Lovely , please make sure you bring basic supplies before you get there as none provided
The house is in an beautiful location with specutular views .
I have rented many vacation properties and have never experienced the lack of basic supplies like we did here- there was not even any toilet paper when we arrived .
I know we left tons of supplies when we left so assume others do - would rate this a 5 if the owner just made sure there had been some basic supplies
A twenty minute walk gets you to local shops and cafes and a beautiful view of the ocean, take a walk to the right of the house and walk for thirty minutes to get beautiful views
Caretaker and his wife were very helpful
Owner was very kind in letting us arrive early
Clean and friendly
Property was beautifully clean with lovely views from the terrace but we found limited in facilities. Property details were somewhat vague so an incomplete picture of what was available was presented. The following should be noted:
- Air conditioning only available in the lounge and one upstairs bedroom. Some of our party had to resort to sleeping in the lounge as it was too hot and stuffy in their bedroom..
- The property is accessed by a steep and narrow road which was perilous when faced with opposing fast moving local traffic
- There are many steep uneven steps to be negotiated in /around and to access the house. Unsuitable for elderly or infirm.
- BBQ listed as amenity available was not on site and had to be requested.
- Crockery available insufficient for a party of 6
- Directions to house in English inadequate. Google before you leave UK otherwise you may have real difficulty finding the place.
- There was no welcome package in fact nothing was available for our use not even a little washing up liquid so be prepared to have to purchase everything you need for your stay. It was disappointing after travelling all that way, arriving late to have to immediately shop in order to make a cup of coffee.
All of that said we found the neighbours very friendly and they helped resolve some of the minor problems like the bathroom door that wouldn't close and loaned us a small BBQ.
Highly accommodating for indoor and outdoor living
This attractive renovated mansion was perfect for our group, composed of 8 adults and 3 young children. The living room was large and furnished for comfort, which included AC. The bedrooms were spacious and well appointed for longer stays. The kitchen is of sufficient size and adequately equipped for any group wishing to prepare some of their own meals.
The mansion is attractive and painted in cheerful bright colors. The grounds are beautiful and very well maintained, i.e., grass cut, gardens tended, sufficient outdoor seating, shade and eating areas. The view from the large top deck is awesome both during the day and at night. Everything is perfect for formal or informal picture taking. The quietness of the location impressed us to no end, aside from the few barking dogs that seemed to know when to go to sleep!
The regular contact with Pedro, the property manager was a plus. His easy going manner put us at ease from the beginning. His generosity with eggs and vegetables was most appreciated by all. He responded to any concerns promptly and effectively. He certainly is a strong asset to the property.
As any reader of this review can see, we had a wonderful stay at the Mansion, Capelas. However, we would recommend that a set of clear directions to the place be included in the description as we found that our GPS was not fully accurate.
We highly recommend Mansion - Capelas to anyone and we would not hesitate in staying there again.
Great guests and very nice people!
Lots of room with a fabulous view from the roof deck.
Arrived to a clean house with lots of room for 8 adults. Outside area was beautiful as well. We grilled out one evening and used the roof deck everyday. The view from the roof deck was fabulous. It is situated on a hill so a car is helpful.
Amazing View and Beautful House
Just arrived from 2 weeks’ vacation in Sao Miguel Azores (June 24-July 8 2017) stayed in this beautiful mansion in Capelas, old charm with the new, the grounds where beautiful with lush flowers and good size garden, very well maintained by the garners who were there every morning and we were greeted with fresh eggs and greens . The view was amazing, overlooking the sea and island on the rooftop with loungers. We would stay up to 2 am enjoying the evening on the rooftop with the twinkling lights overlooking the island. 7 of us stayed in this in this home which is big enough for a good size family.
When we arrived at the house it was very clean and at the end of the week the cleaners changed the bed sheets and gave us fresh towels. The beds where very comfortable, each one had a down duvet so comfy to sleep in.
I only have two suggestions, one of the down stairs washrooms to have only a walk in shower for those who have difficulty climbing in and out of tubs and a clothes dryer for the island can be very damp and it takes forever to dry clothes.
I would go back in a heartbeat, already have the vacation blues.
Great people, very clean and friendly