Your booking will be backed by our Book with Confidence Guarantee when you complete your reservation online and finalise payment on HomeAway.Learn more
Large one bedroom apartment in historic house that has been converted into six apartments on 5th Street in Coos Bay. Quiet street, quiet building, great historic neighborhood. Fully furnished with an antique theme. Walking distance to downtown. Wireless internet with a secure password. Cable TV in the living room and bedroom, with a DVD player in the living room. Bedroom has a queen bed with a 2-inch memory foam mattress topper (extra comfortable) and walk-in closet. Includes an enclosed back porch with peek-a-boo views of the bay. Kitchen is fully equipped with dishes, cookware, coffee pot, toaster, blender, utensils, etc. and comes with a starter supply of coffee, tea, sugars, cream, etc. Salt/pepper and a spice rack also provided. Coin operated laundry available on the ground level for $1 per washer and dryer (starter laundry soap provided), along with a covered outdoor patio in back for common use that includes a charcoal BBQ for guest use.
I am a biologist and own Blue Heron Environmental Consulting. I love to clam, crab and fish in the bay and am happy to provide guidance for guests.
Barbara Gimlin, Owner purchased this apartment in 2005
The apartments are located in a quiet, historic neighborhood in Coos Bay that is walking distance to downtown (approximately 7 blocks).
The apartment has plenty of comfortable living space and the enclosed back porch with extra seating has been a favorite with guests.
This is a very old property within walking distance of downtown. Travelers should pass on it if you have issues with:
1. Pet odor and urine stench. Barbara was very nice to have the place fumigated after we arrived.
2. Mold and mildew. Thick green coatings over the window sills. Barbara and Molly tried to paint over them with some success.
3. Lack of ventilation. All the windows except two have been painted shut. The two open about 25%, so there is essentially no fresh air. Tip: prop up a box fan in one of the partial openings. You'll need an extension cord and a pedestal for the fan.
4. No cooking vent. If you cook, don't create vapors which will both smell and set off the fire alarm.
5. The toilet plugs. Barbara has provided a plunger so make sure you know how to use it.
6. Extremely dated/soiled furnishings. The posted pictures are accurate, but reality is very different. Tip: we placed a blanket over the couch and put the greasy armchair in the rear area. The other side tables etc really look like they belong in a yard sale. Barbara has smartly put a placard over one of the chairs warning guests it is unsafe.
7. Spider infestation. Cobwebs are present over most of the rear windows in the house.
On the plus side, the bed was satisfactory and all the appliances functioned and Barbara and her housekeeper were very nice people. We would not book this property again and would not recommend it to anyone else.
Our stay at this one bedroom apartment was very comfortable and memorable! The apartment was very clean and supplied with essentials such as dishes, cooking utensils, even coffee and filters! The neighbors (upstairs and downstairs) were extremely quiet. There are lots of nearby restaurants and activities that the owner had recommended to make our stay even better! We especially loved the local seafood and the drives along the coastal highway. The owner (Barbara) even accommodated us with a later than normal checkout when we left as our flight was not until later in the day. We would recommend this property to friends or family... it's much more comfortable than staying in a hotel!
Very clean, well furnished, cozy little retreat. A great place to relax near the ocean for a great price. The kitchen was well stocked with everything you may need to cook a great meal. Clean linens. I would stay here again!
This is a fun little apartment! We had everything we needed and it was located in a quiet part of town. So much better than renting a motel room! When we come back to visit our daughter, I will check and see if this little gem is available!!
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event Price|
My Standard Rate
1 night minimum stay
for 1 night
|Pet Fee||£20 + Tax|
|Cleaning fee||£33 + Tax|
Rates are subject to change until reservation is confirmed. Guests are responsible for any damage caused to the property beyond normal wear and tear. No smoking inside. Guests must let host know if they are bringing any pets for pre-approval. If your pet has a tendency to get up on furniture, you must bring your own sheets/throws to cover the furniture they may get up on. Any damages from pets, including extra cleaning, will be an additional charge to the guests.
* Approximate monthly price. Actual pricing will depend on the days of the month you stay.