Your booking will be backed by our Book with Confidence Guarantee when you complete your reservation online and finalise payment on HomeAway.Learn more
A cabin in the woods + a cottage at the beach + a cutting-edge art gallery = the happily factory. With interior designs by a regular in Boston Magazine, Boston Globe Magazine, New England Real Estate Journal, HGTV and more, this 106-year-old cottage/cabin is exciting And comforting. Just outside Boston (30-45 min), near Quincy Center, w/public transport access, free parking, 10 minutes' drive to the freeway. It feels like Boston & Cape Cod combined.
It’s a special treat - IF you like antiques, weird cool things, and see beauty in imperfection. But it's not for everyone - so please read on to see if it's right for you...
On the plus side:
- half block walk to the beach
- reading in the hammock on the porch watching birds & squirrels
- grilling steaks or boiling lobster to eat on the farm tables inside or out
- fans, shade, ocean breeze, gentle weather
- flat screen with Netflix & DVDs in the living room
- ping pong, toys, games, & art materials to play with, books to read
- self-serve coffee/tea & Light breakfast included your first night
- loaners like beach stuff, umbrella, sunglasses, stuff you maybe forgot
- cute furry wild animals in the yard who won't bother you (really!)
- naturally clean indoor air, avoiding chemicals
- It's exotic! Stay in the home of a real Bohemian!
- super safe neighborhood, quiet, peaceful
- witty, playful art like the best contemporary museum, in a range of media
- charming! unique! full of life!
- cheaper than a hotel!
On the minus side (for some folks):
- no AC, no TV
- the yard outside is a wild-life preserve, not a croquet court
- inside you may see a spider or something with wings (it's ok! it won't get you!)
- something is always not quite finished being renovated
- sound travels thru wood walls & ceilings more than thru modern ones
- some of that art is related to sex! or bodies! or (gasp) feminism!
- it's not a familiar perfect chain hotel or McMansion
- it's not the cheapest thing imaginable!
But what are the bedrooms like?
- 3 main, 'cute' bedrooms: 1st w/queen bed, 2nd w/twin, 3rd w/full: each w/memory foam-topped bed, mirror, desk, chair, hooks or closet, fan
- 2 'storage' (not for being cute) rooms with twin floor mattresses
And if we have 8-12people?
- queen air mattress, queen sofa bed, in living room; feather bed pallete there or in third bedroom
Other things to note:
1. Kids: art is within reach, it's not too fragile but active youngsters should be supervised. There's lots of toys and games kids get to play with too!
2. Dis/abilities: 1 full flight of Imperfect stairs outside, squirrels who like to throw walnuts on walk paths & such, & 1 full flight of wood stairs inside.
3. Upstairs balcony: off-limits currently.
4. Yard: not off-limits, but not conventionally landscaped.
5. LGBT friendly, welcoming all, regardless of race, language, nationality, etc.
6. Art: Some of our often playful, witty contemporary art references a bit of nudity & the existence of a concept called sex!
In 4 years I've had 100's of vacation rental guests, including children and adults of every age - 98% of guests were content (often overjoyed) with the decor. There are over 100 works of contemporary art. Many are abstract paintings, but others are more unusual sculptures or imagery.
1. Pets: well behaved pets ok, w/negotiation. 10$/night/pet fee. No pets live here now.
2. Smoking outdoors only, porch ok, 420 ok.
3. Style: Here you make yourself at home like a trusted friend.
4. Information: I've got a ton of info about the house, neighborhood, & Boston public transport in manuals in the house! If it's not in there, i can answer more questions too!
5. Communication: I prefer texting! I don't check email every day, don't do voicemail much, and 'find the app is unreliable for notifications.
Come and enjoy the best sky, the freshest sweetest air, and the most relaxing walks in the Boston area!
I'm an artist living in a giant gallery & adult summer camp. I've got tons of cool stuff here you can look at & play with. And i've got tons of work fixing a 100-yr-old house, too, so something's always half-done. I was an interior designer for 14 years, and put the really amazing & bold stuff in my house, for pure pleasure, and for PR & portfolio.
I'm kind of a hippy, & definitely a humanist pinko leftycrat, yet am driven - an entrepreneur who works a LOT. in my art organization, American Family Happily Institute, i collaborate with about 100 volunteers & interact with thousands of people each year. our work is about empowering people to be happier and more at peace, and working together to build a better world.
I grew up in the the middle of america but know and love boston well now, and can share tips/cool stuff to do.
i speak a little french badly. My housemate, Jean-luc, is a french pastry chef, who speaks French, German, & Alsatian.
Be Be purchased this cottage in 2001
the easy access to the city oombined with a sense of quiet, peace, and privacy unheard of this close to the city, and even a feeling of proximity to and oneness with nature with the ocean, trees, little animals and birds, made me fall in love. the sense of spirit, uniqueness, warmth, and artisanry of the house made me addicted.
This house has many nooks & spaces for people to feel free & easy while working or relaxing separately, as well as places to come together for socializing.
The house has it's charm but is in need of upgrade and repair. Lighting is limited, especially in the kitchen. House is filled with an eclectic assortment of antiques,, art and thrift store clutter. Natural landscaping is overgrown and blocks much needed natural light. Quiet neighborhood location. Not on, but near small beach. Reasonably comfortable rooms but musty. Be aware if you have dust allergies. Dirty shabby exterior appearence.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event Price|
My Standard Rate
1 night minimum stay
for 1 night
|Notes: Rates are based on 2 guests; add £22 per night, per additional guest|
Some pets are allowed, but must be discussed. Smoking outdoors only.
* Approximate monthly price. Actual pricing will depend on the days of the month you stay.