|Minimum Stay||2 nights|
Your booking will be backed by our Book with Confidence Guarantee when you complete your reservation online and finalise payment on HomeAway.Learn more
HISTORIC, WATERFRONT HOME ON MARYLAND’S EASTERN SHORE (CRISFIELD, MD) – SECLUDED/QUAINT/PEACEFUL
The LaVallette House is where the Maryland terrapin originated! Albert T. LaVallette, Jr., launched the terrapin soup industry from this very site. (You can still see the old terrapin pins beside the driveway.) In addition to the property’s historic charm, the location just can’t be beat. The three-bedroom house is completely private. Guests have to drive through wetlands to get it, and the only neighbors in close proximity are the gulls and the fish in the Chesapeake Bay. The house is surrounded on three sides by water; you can see the Bay from all of its windows. Outside, you can sun yourself on the private beach, sit with a cool drink on the front porch, fish and crab from the bulkhead, or launch your boat or kayak from the dock. And the fishing’s great from the front yard! You hardly ever need to leave this place—but if do you want to get out, downtown Crisfield offers charming restaurants, shops, an ice cream parlor, and plenty of places to get fresh crabs. Crisfield is known as the “Crab Capital of the World.” This home is unlike any other. It’s a perfect spot for family vacations, friends’ getaways, or writing retreats. It’s been in our family for 15 years. We love it dearly and know you will, too!
This Queen Anne Victorian was built in the late 1800's. The main floor features a large updated kitchen with seating for 8-10; a family room with a game table, flat screen TV, DVD player, and stereo; a formal dining area; a sitting room with a futon that sleeps two; and a Captain's room with books, desk, and panoramic views of the Bay. There is also a bedroom with twin bunks on this floor and a large full bath and laundry area.
Upstairs, the master bedroom features a widow's walk for two, a queen size bed, and furniture to lounge on. There is a full bath across the hall. The second bedroom features two double beds. The house is spacious with lots of room to spread out.
There is also a screened porch, an open porch, and an outside shower! A two-person kayak is available to launch from the beach and explore the natural wonders that surround this local treasure.
Please note: This charming home is quite old and thus does not have central air conditioning. It does, however, have window units in all of the bedrooms, the Captain's room, and the family room. Screened windows also offer great ventilation!
Purchased in 1999 as a weekend project and retreat. We spent the next 5 years getting the house updated so that family and friends could visit and enjoy this historic property. As anyone who owns a home knows, the work is never done. Our home has been the sight of many happy and sad memories. After my husband's passing, I listed it with a local realtor for several years and in 2014 I placed it on the VRBO site. I have been pleased with the responce and look forward to sharing my home with many others in the future.
Virginia Liberatore purchased this house in 1999
For the traveler who seeks peace, isolation and panoramic views of the bay this property delivers. The town of Crisfield can be seen in the distance and is a short bike ride away. Set your sight in another direction and you can see Smith, Tangier Island and the unspoiled shores of Jenkins Creek. While the house has been comfortably updated, it still contains 4 original fireplaces from this homes storied past. The chimneys have been landmarks for boaters for more than 100 years. It is especially well suited for star gazers, birders, kayakers or anyone who loves nature and getting away from the frenzy of our digital world.
My 3 adult sons and I had a wonderful 4 days at LaVelette House. No fancy 21st century distractions just quality time playing board games, watching movies on the DVD, kayaking, crabbing and lining up on the front porch and watching the sun melt into the horizon in a "Montana" sized sky. Loved it!
We were amazed with the house and the location. My 7 year old decided that he didn't ever want to come in from the dock and that he will have a house like this when he is older. We had so much fun kayaking, crabbing, fishing, relaxing and more. My boys have already asked about when we will return, which we certainly hope to do.
Thank you much, we had a great time crabbing and just watching the boats pass by. This vacation was the first in a long time that I didn't feel like I needed another day off to recoup after vacation. Highly recommend !
Michael Schultz sent a message
Jul 28, 2015
One and all, my family Loved our stay from July 17 – 24, 2015. With nine adults present we were never under each other’s noses. There was plenty of room for each of us to find whatever space we needed. We loved the estate, its history and provenance; we loved the scenery, the wildlife and natural beauty; and most we Treasured the solitude and tranquil peace and quiet. We felt as if we had found Land’s End.
And now, as Paul Harvey might say, for the rest of the story:
With regard to maintenance and whatnot, the following small items are noted:
1. Broken access chain lock: I retrieved the key from the lock box, and inserted the key into the lock, it fell open. It had not been locked. Attempts to lock it were not successful. I left it as I found it, wedged shut with the appearance of being locked.
2. Recycle bin was full on our arrival.
3. One regular trash container was half full with the makings of a foul stench. A cousin and local resident took several large trash bags to the reclaim site.
4. The grills were filthy and full of ashes. We cleaned them, used them and cleaned them again.
5. It was recommended that we use the water dispenser for cooking and drinking. As it was empty, we purchased jug and bottled water.
6. We let the kayak down to see about using it; however, the seats, straps and hardware are badly corroded and broken. When we tried to hoist the boat back into position, the rope jumped the pulley wheel and bound up. We set the boat up in the corner as best we could.
7. The leg of the bench to the picnic table on the side screened porch is broken, as it was upon our arrival.
8. The screen of the back door to the screened-in porch is torn at the hand area. It was torn when we arrived; we tried to be careful, but it is worse now.
9. One note of safety concern is that there is no handrail for the stairs to the second floor. Several of us are rather infirm and had to forgo visiting the upper floor. Also, a handrail on the front steps might be useful and prudent for safety concerns.
10. A final note, you may want to have your maintenance folks look at replacing the deteriorated wood of the fascia and eves around the house.
Well, I guess that about does it. I spent the second half of my boyhood crabbing the Big Annemessex River and the Tangier Sound, and it was good during this visit home to be able to wade out into the Bay’s waters again.
Outdoor area is nice , However, house has a lot of bugs. The house also doesn't have ac units in all the rooms and the ones that have don't work well. So it will be a very very hot stay. So if you don't mind bugs or heat it might work.
Owner is also difficult to deal with. Hasn't returned the security deposit yet.
Overall I would find a different home to rent.
If you're looking for nightlife, a boardwalk, crowds - this place is NOT for you. We chose this location specifically because it is so very isolated and quiet. The house is very clean, beautifully furnished and decorated, comfortable and spacious. The view across the sound from the master bedroom balcony first thing in the morning is something to behold, sunsets are spectacular as well. We had a great week on the water, had crabs with dinner every evening and froze 6 pounds of crabmeat to take home. We've been coming to the Crisfield area for years and love everything about it, despite the poverty and obvious challenges to living there. I highly recommend this property!!!
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event Price|
My Standard Rate
2 night minimum stay
for 2 nights
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£191|
* Approximate monthly price. Actual pricing will depend on the days of the month you stay.