About Rob Boettner
Don and I bought our first vacation condo at Wailea Ekahi in the mid 90's and escaped to Maui from Los Angeles as much as we could. Loved Maui so much that we retired here in 2000, designed and built a home in Maui Meadows, then moved to a real 'fixer' in Wailea and have spent the last year completely remodeling it. We have also remodeled 4 condos on Maui for friends.
Rob Boettner purchased this Condo in 2015
Why Rob Boettner chose Kihei
more Views!! I don't believe there is a condo in all of Kihei that is any closer to the ocean than this unit. Menehune Shores is a "top notch" building, well managed, and always in perfect condition. Great central location!
What makes this Condo unique
Directly in front of Menehune Shore is the historical 16th Century Alii (Royal) Fish Pond of Kalepolepo. This pond provides excellent swimming and is great for small children!
100% refund for cancellations more than 30 days before check-in date. 50% refund for cancellations more than 14 days before check-in date.
Please read my entire list of Pros and Cons below. I felt the Pros out weighed the cons. Ty.
CONS= (We visited in July 2019)
•No AC!! If the ad does not state having air conditioning, inquire and don't assume. It is considered unnecessary in many areas.
• Small kitchen ants eventhough we never left dishes in the sink. (bug spray under the sink didnt help)
• No screened front door like most other units have so that ocean breeze could flow through in the mornings and evenings.
• Bedroom TV could not get cable.
• Afternoon tradewinds can reach 30-40 mph making outdoor activity or just standing on the balcony difficult. Patio door must be closed at this time.
• A continuous breeze off the pacific.
• Box fan and other fans supplied to help with the no AC and afternoon heat.
• A view from the balcony that was everything we'd hoped for.
• Complex beach is very nice and Tree lined beaches are within walking distance
• Out door grilling and picnic areas
• Humpback Whale Conservatory right next door.
• Living room TV has cable and Netflix.
• Full 4 piece kitchen, with unexpected extras such as... blender, toaster, kettle, coffee maker, pots, pans, dishes, utensils, manual can opener, cutting boards, pot holders , and plastic wrap, that made it easy to feel like home.
• Quiet building complex.
• Plenty of parking.
• Extra bed from the pull out sofa.(we didnt use -not able to state condition)
• Beach supplies like boogie boards and beach chairs in closet.
• Loved having W/D in unit.
• Plenty of beach towels.
• Fish Pond wall built at the beach by natives many years ago works as a Breaker Wall around the complex's beach area.
•See fish and sea turtles in the Fish Pond.
Also, water is so salty that you can easily float.
• Deep balcony aprox 7x12, with small table, chairs and lounge chair
•Indian restuarant in the complex has vegetarian options
• Amazing Roof top view. Seventh floor access 7am-9pm with provided key.
• Can see West Maui, Lanai, and Kaho òlawe from your balcony.
• Catch gorgeous sunrises from your front door and sunsets from your balcony.
• Kehei (pronounced Kee-hey) is on the dry side of the island and we went in July so we did not have any rainy days.
What a screw up!
I made a reservation for this property 3 weeks to a month in advance. I was told by the owner that I'd be receiving info on check in closer to my check in date, which was July 4th (which happened to be my birthday!). A couple of days prior to check in I hadn't received any info so I contacted the owner and he sent on documents that assisted with check-in. We checked in at 3 only to find that the housekeeping cart was in the condo but no housekeeper to be found, and the place was a disgusting mess. The ceiling fan in the living room only had 3 blades on it! I immediately contacted the owner and the Property Manager. The PM was VERY confused that anyone was even checking into the unit that day and the owner assured me that he told them the unit was reserved on that day. The owner, I assume made a call to him as well, because he never called back to let me know what they discussed. A housekeeper was called to clean the place and we had to wait an additional 3 1/2 hours to settle in. It sucked. We initially couldn't even go in the pool because the "pool key" is really a code, which we eventually got from the Property Manager. We ultimately had a lovely stay after a sucky start. This condo has a lovely view, although the afternoon gets VERY warm in the condo due to direct sun coming in and no AC. The Owner reimbursed us for the cleaning fee, which probably wouldn't have even been given had I not asked. The Property Manager was diligent in communicating with us in this process, but I have yet to receive any kind of an apology from the owner for the inconvenience and screw up regarding notification of the property that we were arriving on the 4th. Sometimes it isn't just about the $$
We loved our stay here. Beautiful view from condo and the roof top. Lots of turtles to see right out your lenai. Anytime I emailed a question I got a response within a few hours. Everything was great would stay here again. Thank you
Waterfront Views nothing more
Incredible water front location. Beautiful sunsets daily. Whale watching from the deck. Close to lots of activities. Condo is basic and dated. Great value. We would love to stay there again. Wayne Calgary
Location Location Location: Just can't beat the View
What can I say: Location, Location, Location. 5th Floor balcony overlooking 180 degrees of Ocean view. A small private beach below which has a rock perimeter so it almost becomes a GIANT natural pool. Excellent building. The sound of the waves so enchanting keep the Lanai door open all night. We actually slept in the Balcony one night.
1.Central to everything from the Airport to the Crater, to Lahaina, Kaanapali parasailing to Ziplining to Road to Hanah.
2. Can't beat the View or the location
3. The manager Mr. Kim who sits in suite 200 in the building, is an absolutely amazing help. He genuinely cares and helps. Very friendly.
4. Just a half mile Walk to amazing Eateries. Coconut Cafe was amazing. Along with the Food Trucks parked behind Coconut. We loved the "Da Nani Pirates" food truck. Finally, 3 Amigos was just downright soul satisfying.
5. The building has a rooftop access for those beautiful sunsets.
6. This building has enough parking and an amazing pool overlooking the ocean.
7. The home had great amenities, Stainless steel appliances, and a Washer & Dryer. Does have some basic utensils. 2 TV's with basic cable and HDMI ports which is enough. Having two TV's is so convenient with Kids if you know what I mean.
9. Absolutely a great building & Host Rob.
Constructive feedback because there is no negative:
1. Home needs the thorough cleaning.
2. It's a bit dated. That carpet in the bedroom needs cleaning. My kids are allergic so maybe we felt it a bit more. The bed cover on top needs to be washed for sure. Not Bad.
3. In the night there were a few small bugs that came out, Not a biggie, just cleaned them up.
Thats it. Just an amazing place. A must stay. You will be happy. Hosts were great. Very punctual, easy to work with and happy people. Thank you Mr. Kim and Rob.
1. If you are looking to buy Pineapples and take it back to homeland, please buy the boxed ones. 1box Per passenger is allowed for a free checking by most airlines. We flew United and they checked our two cases for free.
2. DO NOT BUY from the Juice stand on Highway 30 going from Kihei to Lahaina. They charged us $65 for 6. At the Airport( most expensive place to buy these per comments on the web) they are 6 for $56. Costco and other places are much cheaper.
3. We did Jungle Zipline 7 line and the crew was amazing. My little one (50lbs) was really scared but they make you feel at ease. The owner a young lady/manager is so amazing.
Very nice accommodations with everything you need.
The condo (unit 512) at Menehune Shores was exactly as described and what the photos showed. It was nice and clean and we enjoyed the proximity to beaches and shopping. The trade winds were quite strong during our stay which helped to keep the condo cool. Thank you for providing a nice place for us to stay. The sunset on the last day was beautiful over the mountain.
Elliott and Gail Hawk