|Minimum Stay||6 nights|
Your booking will be backed by our Book with Confidence Guarantee when you complete your reservation online and finalise payment on HomeAway.Learn more
The Barking Dog is a waterfront home on Gwynn’s Island, one of the few islands left in the Chesapeake Bay. This quite rural area is nicknamed “Dog Island’. With no leash laws, exploring the island with your pet is a relaxing treat! Bring your boat and enjoy a 20 minute trip from your dock to the Chesapeake Bay for great fishing! An additional floating dock is kayak and jet ski friendly. With double decks, there is always somewhere to bask in the sun or relax in the shade and read a good book.
• Three bedroom, two and a half baths
• Sleeps 6 with two queens and a bunk room with full/twin bunk and a twin
• Wireless Internet and satellite TV service, DVD and BlueRay
• Hardwood floors on first floor and master
• Heating and central air
• Fully-equipped kitchen: dishwasher, refrigerator with ice maker, built in microwave, stove/oven, coffee maker, toaster
• Clothes washer and drier
• Dock with boat slip for up to a 20’ foot boat. 3 ft MLW
• Floating dock great for kayaking, cannoning and jet skiing
• Easy boat access to the Piankatank River, the Hole in the Wall and the Chesapeake Bay
• Guests must provide linens.
• Dogs welcome!
-Crabbing off of you Private Dock
- Restaurant (2 miles)
- Bicycling (Community)
- Boating (Bay)
- Water Skiing
- Canoeing and Kayaking (Local Trails),
- Golf (20 minutes away) – Piankatank River Golf Club
- Tennis (in town 7 miles away – Parks & Rec.)
- Convenience Store (5 miles) with Red Box Rentals
- Gym/Fitness Center/YMCA (8 miles)
- Walking (Starts at Doorstep)
- Entertainment (5 miles) Donk's Theatre
- Playground (7 miles – Parks & Rec.)
- Bowling (adjacent county, 17 miles)
- Jet Skiing (Bay)
- Shopping Area (8 miles)
- Beach (2/3 mile)
- Amusement Park (35 miles) Williamsburg Busch Gardens and Water Country
- Movie Theatre nearby at Gloucester.
A great location to enjoy local events:
• Gloucester Daffodil Festival (April)
• Bay, Bikes and Bands Festival, Tour de Chesapeake (May)
• Eastfields Farm U-Pick Blueberry (July to Mid August).
• Mathews Market Days (September)
• Rock Fish Tournament (December)
The Barking Dog Cottage was built in 2008. We were looking for a get away to relax and grow great family memories. Just crossing over the bridge to the island drops our stress level! We enjoy the tidal water and wildlife. As avid kayakers we visit the sand bar reef on the east side of the island and follow the activities of 'Stick Legs', the great blue heron who frequently hunts nearby.
We hope you, too, can enjoy this getaway!
Our stay at Barking Dog worked perfectly for us. We were using it as a base of operations for our daughter’s wedding in nearby Susan VA so it worked perfectly with a rental from Tuesday to Tuesday. It was clean and well-furnished with everything you’d need in the kitchen and around the house (and lots of DVDs!). We didn’t get a chance to bring our 17’ runabout to the dock but we used the nearby public ramps on Milford Haven and the East River multiple times. Morgan & Edwards was very accommodating with a drop-box for key pickup since we arrived late the first evening. A very convenient place to stay on a beautiful island. Next time we come we’ll bring the kayaks, too!
We stayed at Barking Dog for Memorial Day weekend as a last minute getaway. It was one of the easiest rentals I've done. The owner was very patient with my many questions as was the agent. We rented kayaks for adventure and watched movies (great library) and read when we needed to relax. We brought our dog who adjusted well to the surroundings. The house is well equipped in the kitchen and we grilled every night. Had we stayed longer, we would have taken advantage of a boat charter or crabbing. If you just want to just relax and chill, this is the place for you.
We enjoyed our stay at the Barking Dog cottage. The house itself is in great condition, with modern appliances and furnishings and a very convenient layout. We really liked the two decks! The cottage is practically and attractively decorated. Our labrador loved the space around the house, but we didn't find any beaches in the neighborhood to take advantage of the lack of leash laws. There is an extremely well-stocked video library for those rainy days. This is a great location for adults but probably a little quiet for teens.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
My Standard Rate
6 night minimum stay
for 6 nights
Weekly rental is $1,200. Call or email for rates for long weekends and monthly rental.