|Minimum Stay||7 nights|
After a quiet night (no noisy traffic in our street!), awake to the sun filtering through the shutters, open the double French windows to the fresh smell of baguettes and the sounds of the cafés readying the day. Dash down to the famous Ruhl Plage beach and club (250m / under 5 minutes) for a wake-up dip in the sparkling bay. The sun shines all day on our long balcony overlooking pedestrianised Rue Massena at the heart of Nice beside the best restaurants and chicest shops.
This smart, 35 square metre apartment, high up on the 3rd floor has a serene Master 200cm double bed room that sleeps two and a 180cm living room sofa-bed for another two family/friends. There is a lift after an initial short flight of 12 steps. There are two air-conditioners / heating units. Free WiFi. Landline. TV plus 100 DVD films. Mini HiFi with dock for iPod. As one of our guests said 'All that you need and nothing that you don't'. Access is from 4pm with easy key collection and a warm welcome from multi-lingual AnneLine. Rental change-over day is on Saturday. There is an arrival fee of €70 to cover a perfectly clean apartment, cleaning materials, fresh sheets, bath towels, beach towels and time for the welcome and departure. AnneLine is also available for you during your stay if there are any emergencies or questions.
A very special place to relax and enjoy the Riviera. You can see that the calendar books up quickly...if you see a week or two that you want, get in touch!
Nice things to do - Around 28 Rue Massena:
· Bakery under Hotel Felix – fresh baguettes at 7, 9 & 11 am and then at 2, 4 & 6pm
· Newspapers – from the kiosk in Place Grimaldi, pretend you’re a citizen with a Nice Matin!
· Food, Drink & Supplies – out front door, 100m on right for all the basics in the shops in Rue Maccarini
· Fine Shopping – out front door, 300m on left Galleries Lafayette, Ave Jean Medecin as well as Rue Massena
· Restaurants & Cafes – they can all be brilliant so just be bold! See D.Telegraph recommendations in January 2014 http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destination/france/35179/Nice-restaurants.html
· Wifi – free WiFi is installed in the apartment
· Beach – public beaches or super luxurious private beach loungers (~€20/day at Ruhl Plage)
· Radio – Riviera Radio 106.5FM laid back expat music station based in Monaco
· Rooftop cocktails – Hotel Aston (overlooking the new Paillon redevelopment and the old town) and Le Meridien (near) or Radisson (far) Hotels have really superior sunset views
· Market – Cours Saleya for flowers & general foods (except Mondays when it’s a flea-market!)
· Galleries – lots of bright art studios in the dark streets of the old town.
. Open top bus tour - a French Riviera pass is valid for many trips around, including entry to, many sites over 24, 48 or 72 hours. Google "French Riviera Pass" for details
. Since 2015 a 7 day €20 pass is a great way to see all the municipal museums and galleries including:
Musée Matisse or Palais Lascaris
MAMAC (Musée d'Art Moderne et d'Art Contemporain)
Théâtre de la Photographie et de l’Image
Galerie de la Marine
Galerie des Ponchettes
Musée des Beaux Arts
Musée d’Art Naïf
Musée d’Archéologie (Cimiez)
Musée d’Archéologie (Terra Amata)
Muséum d’Histoire Naturelle
Prieuré du Vieux Logis.
Nice things to do - Old Town & City:
· Eat local specialty socca (chickpea pancake) washed down with rosé, in the old town near to Place Garibaldi
· Ice cream – Fenochhio’s in Cathedral square has more flavours than you’d believe!
· Port – gorgeous super yachts and simple fishing boats beside loads of restaurants
· Nice Chateau – on the hill between the old town and the port, a steep walk
· Trams – €1.5 or can be used on extension of €1.5 bus ticket (e.g. from Villefranche via Riquier walk past Carrefour and then take the tram back to Place Massena)
· Museums – free on the first Sunday of the month – we highly recommend: Musee des Beaux Arts (Duffy), Musee Massena (local history) and a stiff walk up to the Musee Matisse (always free) and Chagal (great garden restaurant). Plenty of others!
· Roman ruins – the Roman Spa besides the Musee Matisse in Cimiez is free and fascinating
· Churches – all fabulous, the Russian Cathedral has a small entrance charge
· Open top bus tour - €20 but valid for many trips around the sites over 48 hours
Nice things to do - Further afield:
· Haut de Cagnes – bus 94 west to Bourdet then free shuttle to Place de Chateau & lunch at Le Jimmy
· St Paul de Vence – bus 400 to this iconic, beautiful hilltop village.
· Vence - Matisse’s chapel is magnificent, short walk from the centre
· Antibes – bus 200 for a great old town, markets & huge marina or just carry on to Cannes
· Mougins near Cannes – another outstanding hilltop village, super glamorous with restaurants to match (600 bus from Cannes station)
· Grasse – bus 500, haven’t done this yet but there is promising countryside all the way
· Isle de Marguerite off Cannes - a fast ferry service from Nice port (or carry on to Cannes & St Tropez)
· St Tropez – by boat but also via great train / slow bus through St Raphael or by helicopter if you’ve won the Lotto!
· Villefranche – a spectacular 5m / 8km walk around the Cap de Nice, dine and return by bus from the port to Riquier (see map) then use the same ticket to jump on a tram back to Place Massena
· Bealieu & Cap Ferrat – 100 bus to Beaulieu, walk the beachside path to St Jean on Cap Ferrat, then carry on around St Hospice for the most beautiful walk in France (we think!). Get the 81 bus back to Nice from St Jean Cap Ferrat.
· Eze – get bus map from the box on top of our fridge!
AnneLine is Norwegian, has been living in Nice for 10 years and has much experience helping people make the most of their stays in Nice.
Anne Line purchased this apartment in 2007
Location - this apartment is central to all the sweet spots in Nice yet beautifully quite at night! Nice is more chic, cleaner and better laid out with car traffic pushed away from the centre by the fabulous new tram system. We bought this central (Carre d'Or) apartment because we knew we wanted to keep on coming back to Nice for the sunlight, the fresh food and the superb way of life here.
One of the best balconies in Nice, the apartment fills with sunshine all day, it is right in the middle of the 'Carre d'Or' heart of Nice. Central to all the fun, yet quiet at night, easy to use and comfortable!
lovely apartment within easy reach of all a holiday needs. Main train station 10/15 mins walk away for travel to Monaco, Cannes, St Tropez,
Villefranche etc all at reasonable cost with regular trains. Promenade de Anglais just 2 mins walk away and 10 mins for old Nice. The balcony
is great for relaxing with a drink or having breakfast, in fact any time of day as we did. There's plenty to see and do from this location and would visit again.
A perfect apartment for 2 persons in the centre of Nice. The apartment is quiet with an extra plus for the air conditioning. Anne Line gave us a warm welcome and was helpful with advice about restaurants and things to do.
This is a really nice little flat in a superb location. Convenient for trams, shops and a multitude of restaurants. We had a couple of issues due to Anne Line being away when we arrived but nothing insurmountable. The street door lock did not work.
The flat had everything that we needed although some of the crockery etc was a little worse for wear.
The main issue which we had was with the shower. I am not a particularly large lady, (size 16) but the shower access was very narrow. We had to enter and exit it sideways. The other issue was that there was insufficient hot water for 2 consecutive showers. It may be fine in summer, but in winter more hot water is probably used. We got round this by showering at different times of the day, again not an insurmountable, just inconvenient. I would stress that neither of these things would stop us from booking the flat again.
Anne Line was present for our check out and was very pleasant and friendly. I am just sorry that she wasn't there when we arrived.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and found Nice to be delightful, especially the old town. We also were fortunate that the carnival was on with some very entertaining street theatre on the go.
Thank you Susan and Marcus for letting your apartment.
We had a great week staying in this lovely little apartment. The apartment is very well located with a small supermarket and 2 boulangeries just a few yards away with lots of cafes and restaurants on the doorstep and the seafront just a 5 min walk away.
Although the apartment is small is was very clean and comfortable but perhaps it would be a bit of a tight squeeze for more than 2 people!
We were met at the apartment by Anne Line who is really lovely so friendly, kind and very helpful - thank you Anne Line for looking after us. We would definitely stay again in this apartment when we come back to Nice.
The WiFi was brilliant too!
Janet and Bob
We wanted an apartment with shuttered doors leading to a balcony in the heart of Nice and found everything we wanted in this lovely apartment. The description of the location was accurate and we enjoyed starting and ending our day on the balcony enjoying watching the cafe life below. The beach is 250 metres away and shops are even closer. We took a bus from the airport and it stopped closer to the apartment than the beach! The owners clearly love spending time here and we felt like guests in a cosy home rather than a faceless holiday let. We will be returning.
We had the most amazing week in Nice. This beautiful and charming apartment is a perfect base for visiting the city, bathing and trips to the hinterland.
We would definitely recommend the apartment to friends and family and look forward to return.
Karina og Jim Nygaard
Situated in Nice's centre, the Belle Époque fashioned Carré d'Or, our sunny 3rd floor apartment overlooks the wonderfully atmospheric shopping, dining and pedestrian zone - Rue Masséna - see photos. Only 250m from the Promenade des Anglais and the super glamorous Ruhl Plage beach. Chic shopping at the Galleries Lafayette in Place Masséna and Nice's sleek new tramway. A huge selection of Brasseries, fine Restaurants & Bars awaits. Fashionable shopping....Rue Masséna, Rue Paradis, Rue Alphonse Karr and Avenue Jean Médecin are all on the doorstep. You wont need a car as there is easy €1.5 bus access to Monte Carlo, Cannes, Grasse, Antibes/Juan les Pins and the artists havens of Eze, Haut de Cagnes and St Paul de Vence among others. Walk 5 miles along the coast to Villefranche. Stride up to Cimiez to see the wonderful Roman ruins, Musée Matisse and Musée Chagal. For a cosmopolitan, sunny break by the sea – it cant be beaten for style or convenience for 2 plus 2 people.
Ski: If you want beach and ski holiday - it's possible here! Isola 2000 is about 1 hour's drive away.