Welcome to Edgewood Escape!!
Our cottage was built in 1954 by Dawn's parents, Andy and Molly. They lived during the school year in Holland, and moved out to the cottage for the summers - idyllic, magical times for Dawn, her sister, Ronnie, and the many other kids and families who came to the lake shore together. In those days, the section was only about 20 summer cottages; since then, cottages have been updated and expanded, and many people have built beautiful, year round homes, as well.
The cottage is made of redwood, and although it has a small footprint, it feels spacious and airy with its open design - the living and dining rooms are surrounded by windows, and cooling lake breezes flow through from the west. The cottage was built with a flat roof, but about a decade ago, Andy had a peaked roof put on, which allowed for us, recently, to put a furnace and a tankless water heater up in the new attic, opening up the living areas below. We also have parking next to the cottage.
The cottage offers 2 bedrooms, with full beds and closets in each, as well as a Queen sized sofa bed in the living room, all with new, comfy, supportive mattresses. The bathroom has been completely renovated (small but lovely!), and the kitchen expanded; we have ceiling fans in the living room and bed rooms, as well as Wi-Fi, a flat screen TV and a Blu-ray/DVD player. As small as the footprint is, we do not have laundry nor a dishwasher, but there are laundromats close by, if needed.
The Edgewood Association is private, with its own stairway access down to the 300 ft. wide beach, available only for its residents and guests. The landing, overlooking our beach is less than 2 minutes’ walk from our door! The whole shoreline is available for beach walking, the lake bottom is sandy, the waves soothing and hypnotic...! There are many kayaks, SUP's, sailboats, etc. on the beach, however, these are privately owned and not available to guests. You are welcome to bring with you, any such water 'toys' if you wish; many area shops offer such rentals, as well as offering bike rentals for a shoreline biking/hiking trail right along Lake Shore Drive. As this is an Association with many private homes, we require that Association rules be followed, including quiet after 10pm and before 9am (specific rules will be provided upon reservation).
Holland itself is filled with excellent restaurants, including Boatwerks; New Holland Brewery; Ottawa Beach Inn Pizza; Coppercraft, a local distillery; lovely shops, music on the streets, great festivals, luscious blueberries, a large farmers market downtown, Hope College (with a wonderful summer repertory theater), and much, much more - only minutes away!
Edgewood Escape is so close, whether to Holland itself, to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Chicago, Detroit, even Wisconsin (great ferries, across the lake...!), and yet feels a world away!
Come and enjoy the beauties of the Lake Michigan shores, put your feet up and rest awhile.....!
• Queen sleeper sofa
• 40” flat screen TV, with sound bar and Blu-ray/DVD player
• Fireplace (lovely electric insert, no fires allowed...)
• Ceiling fan
• 55” round oak table, with seating for 6
• Sitting area
• Electric stove
• Full refrigerator
• Cuisinart coffee maker
• Full assortment of cooking pots/utensils
• Dinner, flat and glassware
• Large mirrored medicine cabinet; swing arm magnifying mirror
• Single sink vanity with storage and 2 drawers
• 32” well lit shower with corner, sliding door entry (approx. 20” wide); handheld, multi setting shower head; and both high and low brackets (you’re welcome ladies and kids…….)
• 2 bedrooms with new, full sized beds, closets, dressers/chests
• Ceiling fans
Screened in porch
• Wicker chairs and settee, and overall seating for 7-8
• Extra beach chairs available
• Brick walkway/patio in front
• Deck at the side, with Adirondack chairs, side tables
• Gas grill available on the deck
• We do have a few games and beach toys available, stored inside under the east bedroom bed or closet.
* Landing/stairway overlooking the beach only 2 minutes walk from our door, with 2nd landing midway down to the beach, with benches for enjoying the view and friends.
WHAT TO BRING.....
Please provide your own sheets and towels, as we don’t have laundry services for the cottage. We do provide bath mats and kitchen towels, basic cleaning items (vacuum, mop, broom/dust pan, etc.), some basic kitchen needs (coffee filters, salt/pepper, basic spices, baggies, dish soap, etc.). If you use up any of these provided amenities, please be so kind as to replace them for the next guests.
PLEASE CALL to make reservations and rental arrangements.
**Edgewood Escape is a non-smoking property, and, unfortunately, we must also forbid pets - thank you!**
SUMMER: $190/night (3 night minimum)
*Sun. 4pm check in - Sun. 10am check out
*Occupancy limited to 6