Don’t miss your chance to stay in a very rare Lustron home, a fascinating piece of architectural history! You'll have exclusive access to the lovingly curated, prefabricated home and large backyard, which ooze mid-century modern style. Walk to awesome restaurants, bars, multiple transit stations (MARTA), and more!
Please note: The original "pocket doors" of this home have been replaced with floor-to-ceiling curtains that close with magnets to provide privacy in the Bedrooms and Bathroom.
· · This prefabricated, all-steel home was manufactured in a former airplane plant in Ohio, then assembled in the heart of Decatur in 1949. Very few Lustron homes still exist in the US—fewer than 3,000 were ever made. This maize yellow specimen features vintage decor such as a Heywood-Wakefield dining set and lots of modern artwork—definitely Instagram worthy! All Lustrons have metal-paneled interior walls, and all interior rooms and closets feature pocket doors to maximize space. Note that the pocket doors in this home have been replaced with floor-to-ceiling curtains that snap closed via magnets (both bedroom doors, the bathroom door, and all closets). Each bedroom contains a comfortable Queen Bed with dual nightstands. The bathroom is in the hallway between the bedrooms. You'll love reading and relaxing in the large Japanese-inspired backyard, with its sculptural evergreens, rock garden, and bamboo grove. Fresh sheets and towels are always provided, and the kitchen is stocked with tools and utensils so you can cook at home. The space is suitable for up to four adults and one child under 12. The sleeping space for the fifth person is a foam floor mattress and unfortunately will not fit the needs of an adult.
[Kitchen] • Filtered water (BRITA) in the refrigerator • Coffee and tea station with automatic grinding coffeemaker and electric kettle • Pots/pans, olive oil, salt, and pepper for cooking • Plastic dishware for children and outdoor dining (located on the baker’s rack) • High-efficiency washer and dryer (please provide your own high-efficiency HE detergent) • A high chair is available, but let us know if you are going to use it so we don't loan it out to a neighbor. [Living Room] • XFINITY Wi-Fi Internet • Apple TV with Hulu, HBO, and Showtime (use your own login) • Remote-controlled gas fireplace
[Bedrooms] • A curtain separates the bedrooms from the main living space • Lots of closet space with nice hangers • Extra pillows and bedding (located in the hall closet with the curtain) • Folding twin mattress for a child (located in the back bedroom closet) • Iron and ironing board (located in the front bedroom closet nearest the doorway) • Lighted makeup mirror on the vanity in the front bedroom • Blow dryer (in the closet nearest the doorway in the front bedroom) • Two small fans (located in the hall closet with the curtain) • Electric space heater (located in the hall closet with the curtain) • A Pack 'n' Play is available, but let us know if you are going to use it so we don't loan it out to a neighbor.
[Bathroom] • A curtain separates the bathroom from the main living space • Shampoo, conditioner, body wash, bar soap, lotion, cotton swabs, cotton balls, facial tissues • First aid kit (located in a drawer)
[Backyard] • Teak-wood dining set and other seating for admiring the year-round gardens • Grill (BYO-Charcoal) • Fire pit with 4 chairs in the backyard (BYO-Firewood)
• This home is door-free, pet-free, and smoke-free!
• Include the words "No Doors? No problem!" in your booking request or when you message me with a question. There are no interior doors? Yes, this home is from 1949, and the metal pocket doors are no longer safe to use and have been replaced with beautiful grey floor-length curtains on every interior doorway.
• Third-party bookings are never allowed. The person who books the reservation must be staying for the entire duration.
• The gas fireplace (with remote) is working and makes for a nice cozy living room!