|Minimum Stay||4 nights|
Our house is located in the Upper Georgetown/Palisades Neighborhood. New neighborhood community pool in summer. Country in the city: Relax in a charming cottage on one of Washington’s close-in and most sought-after upscale residential streets, overlooking the Potomac River five minutes drive from downtown Georgetown (ten minutes by bus and bicycle). This house was built in the 1920s as a vacation house by the Potomac for a Capitol Hill family, and is on a cult-de-sac facing national parkland, one of a handful of houses in Washington with a river view. It has four bedrooms and sleeps 8. Return from a day of city touring to relax on our porch overlooking the Potomac river palisades while ceiling fans keep you cool.
The house is located just upriver from Georgetown in the heart of leafy, upscale Palisades village, just 2 blocks from excellent restaurants, grocery stores, cafes, shops and other conveniences. Easy access to all points of interest in Washington via the D5 Express and D6 MetroBuses which stop just a block away. The house has plenty of parking and the neighborhood is extremely safe. Paths lead down to the river, C&O Canal and jogging and bike paths. Boats and bicycles can be rented at Fletcher’s boathouse just down the hill.
Available for 4 nights to a month. We welcome families, couples and other travelers whether on business, relocating or vacationing.
Amenities In House:
* Fully equipped kitchen with dishwasher.
* Full-sized clothes washer and dryer.
* Air conditioning units to keep your space comfy.
* High speed internet and WIFI, smart TV w cable.
* Four bedrooms (1 king, 1 king, 1 twin, 1 tiwn)
* Screen Porch with view of the Potomac with ceiling fans; in a city with few panoramic views, your porch has one!
* Free unrestricted street parking in front of the house.
* Unrestricted access to the Potomac River and National Parkland hiking and biking trails just across the street!
* Located in the charming Palisades Village neighborhood with wonderful restaurants, coffee shops, sidewalk dining, farmers market, grocery store, gourmet take out, dry cleaners, post office, pharmacy, and public library...everything you need.
* Steps away from the stop from the D5/D6 MetroBus that will take you to The National Mall and all the other high-profile sights in the city.
* Unrestricted street parking in front of the house – a great benefit in parking-challenged Washington!
* We are on the D5/D6 bus lines (corner of V St. and MacArthur Blvd NW 1/2 block away) to Georgetown, DuPont Circle, World Bank, Downtown, The National Mall, Penn Quarter, The White House, Metro Center, Union Station, i.e. everything that you want to see and it's a beautiful ride to boot. Buses run every twenty minutes. Grab a Starbucks, sit back and relax while you enjoy the best $1.70 ride through some of the most interesting and beautiful neighborhoods in the city. For further information on public transit please visit Washington Metro Area Transit Authority's (WMATA) website. Go to 'Trip Planner' to find the travel options between your desired destination and our house. Or bike to the mall in 15 minutes!
Ideal And Idyllic Location:
* Quiet, safe, street in the Palisades Village just a block away from gourmet restaurants (including several of Washington’s best restaurants: Blacksalt seafood restaurant, Makoto 5*Japanese, 7th Hill wood burning oven Pizza, and Kotobuki, the best value sushi bar in Washington; Italian, Belgian and American cuisine also nearby). There are also Starbucks coffee & Liquor store in Safeway Supermkt,upscale wine store, CVS drug store, post office, banks, dry cleaners and Palisades community library within walking distance. Buy fresh produce at Farmer’s Market every Sunday.
* Approximately 1.5 miles to American University, Georgetown, Georgetown University, Sibley Hospital, Georgetown University Hospital and the French and German Embassies.
* Limitless free cultural options. A mere 15 minute drive by car to The National Mall with its memorials and Smithsonian museums. A 10 minute drive to the Kennedy Center where there is a free performance every night at 6pm.
* An outdoor lover’s paradise in the middle of the city. The house is 1 block from Battery-Kemble National Park. Walk/hike to Fletcher’s Boat House (rent canoes, Kayaks, row boats, bicycles), the Potomac River, C&O Canal, Canal Trail, and Capital Crescent Bike Trail.
I am a homemaker and former World Bank officer, and experienced host of holiday travelers. My husband and I rented our English basement for two years. Now our growing family is moving to a larger house in the neighborhood, but we are keeping this special house to move back into when we start shrinking again! In the meantime, we hope that our guests will enjoy the neighborhood and the house as much as we have.
Denise von Gersdorff purchased this house in 2001
My husband, an avid canoer and kayaker, dreamed of living on one of the streets above the river for years before the house became available.
This is a truly special house - in a city that has very few panoramas, this one has a wonderful open vista, and it's a quick hop down to Fletcher's boathouse, one of DC's most active outdoor resources (fishing, canoes, bikes, picnic areas). And it's remarkably close-in for such a spot - a short commute by bike to the city. Palisades has a village feel, with library, shopping, and farmer's market, and Georgetown in just a short bike away.
The home is located really close to the bus stop which takes you anywhere you wish to go in the city. The home was clean and the beds were comfortable. There were actually 3 working bathrooms despite our thinking there were only 2. The WiFi worked wonderfully and our teenage kids were able to enjoy Netflix and their Xbox at night while we adults enjoyed playing card games in the dining room. We did bring along a second TV for our kids since we read there was only one TV in the house. We figured why not bring it for the kids to enjoy their vacation time too and it was the best idea we could have had. The kids had a blast! There is a driveway for parking and a grocery store close by which was also handy. There are plenty of restaurants that delivered dinner to us at night so we didn't cook much, but the kitchen was equipped well to cook simple meals. If you are wanting to do extensive cooking, I would recommend bringing your favorite pan or spatula because this is a rental house and is not equipped like your home. I share that because if you do not rent homes very often it is sometimes surprising that "everything" you want is not there. I would highly recommend this home to families traveling to D.C. because it was a safe, clean, quiet retreat from the city despite being just a short bus trip from everything you would want to see. Denise and her husband were wonderful hosts and very helpful explaining everything to us before we arrived and I would rent from them again. The dining hall inside the Capital Building was remarkable and a hidden surprise for us. They even served sushi among the pizza and burgers. Make sure you remember that because finding such a selection was a rare thing near the museums.
This is a charming home in a wonderful location. Denise insured that everything was ready for us and kept in touch via text to insure that we had everything we needed during our stay. She provided info on how best to access metro and local services - grocers to restaurants. When I return to DC I will definitely book the house again.
This house was located in a beautiful setting in the Potomac Palisades west of Georgetown. Bus was the public transportation into the city with several Metro stations along the route. It often took 45-50 minutes to travel down to central DC.
Four couples stretched the capacity somewhat. Comfortable, but not luxurious. Kitchen was workable but not a culinary magician's dream!
The owners were easy to work with. Hiring a handyman for 2 hours would have fixed several small glitches that were annoying more so than problems. Overall our four couples said it was a nice place, but could use a few repairs that come with age.
The house is just wonderful. My family and I stayed here as a Base to explore Washington and couldn't want for a better place. Everything listed on the site is spot on. Would come here again definitely.
We loved our stay in this charming older home in the Palisades neighborhood of D.C. The scenic view was beautiful and the area was very safe. The owners were so responsive, helpful and gracious.
We had a great week visiting DC with our three kids...after racing around to all the many museums and sites, it was nice to come home to a spacious house where the kids could spread out. Denise and Trigg were great hosts and responded quickly when we had questions or needs. The home is in a quiet area with beautiful natural surroundings yet we were a 10/15 minute uber ride to nearly all of the places we wanted to see. The house is clean, comfy and provided a great home base for our family.
Palisades is a relaxed and upscale neighborhood in Washington, DC, a narrow, leafy neighborhood of streets and shops just upstream from Georgetown along the Potomac River basin. Residents come here for the proximity to downtown DC and to the Potomac River and C&O canal - many commute along the river to work (and it's a short shot to the mall and attractions). The neighborhood has a dozen eateries. a number of which are in 'best of DC' lists, as well as all other shopping.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
May/June/July Grad.& Summer
1 May 2017 - 31 Aug 2017
4 night minimum stay
for 4 nights
My Standard Rate
4 night minimum stay
for 4 nights