A delightful year round cottage dog-friendly vacation home nestled in the Litchfield Hills at the base of the Berkshires in gorgeous Lakeville/Salisbury CT.
An accommodating mudroom for travel bags, fishing poles, boots, skis and snow shoes, a warm wood stove, a million dollar lake and mountain view, and comfy beds for a restful night's sleep-- it's all here.
Sit in the formal garden, have coffee on the back deck, or play board games in the library... escape is within reach! Whether you want to shop in Lakeville, Salisbury or Millerton, or you are planning a day at Lime Rock, you are conveniently located for all. Hotchkiss and Salisbury School parents and families, this is an ideal accommodation for you. Leaf peepers? Enjoy the changing colors all around you, no need to drive anywhere to take in the magic of the fall season.
Have a glass of wine on the front awning covered porch, dinner under the market lights and pergola, all while listening to the babbling brook nearby. Hiking trails surround, and area ski hills are a short drive away.
Multiple upscale and casual restaurant options are within minutes of your cottage getaway. Or cook at home! The kitchen has the basics for eating in.
Laundry facilities on site. One full bath with shower and tub (and garden view!) and one half bath. Feel like you are getting away while having the comfort of home.
If charming, cozy, clean, comfy, quirky and whimsical suit you then this cottage is exactly what you are looking for.
Welcome to Fern Rock Cottage!
· Combination for the door code is given privately to guests upon check in. We change it for every guest for your privacy and security. Just punch it in to the key pad and turn the bolt lock to enter.
The cell service is not great. If you are on an ATT plan, let us know and we can add you to the micro cell for the weekend.
· Wifi Password: It is on the bottom of the modem in the middle bedroom.
· Lights for street light and shed light are in the small white shed.
· Heat – the heat (except for the mudroom, the bedroom with the deck upstairs and the living room downstairs) is governed by the thermostat in the dining room. The other 3 rooms are electric and regulated by thermostats in those rooms
AC-- we have a floor unit that keeps the master bedroom cool, but aside from a few super hot nights in the Litchfield Hills, it's a fairly comfortable place to be without AC.
· Garbage/Recycling: There are two garbage cans in the small white shed.
Please put all garbage and recycling in there. If it is overflowing, please let us know and we will come and bring it to the town transfer station.
· BBQ: There should be plenty of propane in the small gas grill out back.
· Woodstove. Wood is by the front door. I would keep the “flu” open as is. The lever on top should be all the way to the left to start it, and as it gets going, you can slide it to the right. Woodstoves are dangerous (wood falls down and knocks the doors open) so I would keep the glass doors tight.
--Enjoy the lake view, it's really pretty! But it is private so no swimming, kayaking or boating.
· Reservoir Road – This is a popular walking spot. If you leave the house and walk to the R, you have nice views of the pond and Sellick hill. At the end of the road is the reservoir which has a nice path through the woods to the right of the building and reservoir. It actually goes all the way to Mt. Riga (but is 2 miles uphill). It follows a pretty stream through the woods. Nice place to walk your dog off leash.
Breakfast/Coffee: Basic: On the Run in Lakeville basic and fast). Irving Farm in Millerton, Oakdale Diner in Millerton are the most popular quick spots.
Dinner (there are lots of good spots to eat but these are our favorites)
§ Falls Village Inn (FallsVillage)
§ White Hart (Salisbury)
§ Stage Coach (Sheffield)
§ Woodland (Lakeville)
§ Prairie Whale (Great Barrington)
o Tea: Harney Teas in Millerton
· Great Barrington is the closest “small city” in the SW Berkshires
· Boats –Feel free to use the kayaks/canoes. Some may be in better condition than others.
· To turn on the market lights on the back porch just plug them into the outdoor socket.
· Directions to Millerton (Shortcut), the most popular small town – Turn right at the end of Reservoir. Up and Over Belgo and left at the end of Belgo at the bottom. In about .5 Miles you will be at the Cumberland Farms in Millerton. Take a right here and in about .25 miles you will be in “downtown”. Movie theater, Harney Teas, Irving Farm Coffee, popular bike path, shopping, etc.
· Nearest Train Station to NYC: Wassaic (follow directions to Millerton and go south 10 miles on Route 22).
· Farmers Markets, Hiking, Fishing, etc. – please call and we can guide you to the perfect spot.
· Please put dishes in dishwasher
· Electric heat- please turn off to 0 when you leave.
· Please lock the door when you leave (via the key code)
· Please turn the thermostat down to 60