Two bedroom, three bath home overlooking the St. Croix River
About Christine Maefsky
We have been farming in the St. Croix Valley for over 40 years. If you know anything about farming, you know that there is no 'getting away from work'. You're there 24/7, with all the joys and worries that brings. We never had a vacation home until we bought the river house in 2012. We purchased it with the intent of allowing us a perfect way to 'get away'. It only takes us 10 minutes to drive there from our farm, allowing us to get away frequently and easily. You may be curious about the name 'Maison sans Chèvres'. Our farm is a large, commercial Grade A dairy goat farm. The river house is our 'home without goats.' We've stated the name in French to honor the river's name and the French voyageurs who explored it.
Christine Maefsky purchased this House in 2012
Why Christine Maefsky chose Marine on St. Croix
In the 44 years we've lived in this area, we've come to love the St. Croix River and the very unique town of Marine on St. Croix. When we were lucky enough to be able to get this architectural gem of a house - not only on the river but also in the village of Marine on St. Croix - we were thrilled. It is the perfect vacation home for us. As we're not able to use it full time, we enjoy sharing it with others.
What makes this House unique
The Maison sans Chèvres is a peaceful, warm, welcoming house. It has an incredible amount of character. Being right on the river allows for a unique connection to nature and the river towns north and south of us. Marine on St. Croix is an historic town whose residents take a great deal of pride in their history, their natural surroundings, and the creative energy of people. There are numerous cultural events that occur here throughout the year: concerts in the historic Marine Village Hall, art fairs and exhibitions - from Fourth of July celebrations to the Christmas Market, taking enjoyment from life is an ongoing theme here. Being in this warm, small town setting but still so close to busier life in the larger towns nearby and even close to the Twin Cities (St. Paul is only a 40 minute easy drive away), gives visitors an opportunity to experience a range of Minnesota life. As for the house itself, remodeling, updating and furnishing this house was a labor of love for us. We think the results of our efforts reflect our appreciation for quality and for history.
Minimum age of primary renter:25
100% refund for cancellations more than 30 days before check-in date. 50% refund for cancellations more than 14 days before check-in date.
We had a wonderful time.
Christine and Vince were very accommodating. The pictures online do not do justice to how amazing this little house is. Perfect location close to the cities walking distance to the quaint little downtown of Marine on the St. Croix. With a beautiful view of the river. We loved it
Stylish & sophisticated on the Saint Croix
This beautiful home has been very lovingly restored by the present owners with quality upgrades throughout. We enjoyed every room, especially the living area with the comfortable furniture and fireplace. The location is within a couple of blocks of the town of Marine on Saint Croix, which has all the charm you could ask for, and some excellent business's. The house is right above the river, and would be a great getaway during winter months as it is very cozy - the summer must be even better, given the great decks and sitting area on the dock. Highly recommended!
Great place fantastic people
Beautiful, clean, comfortable, upgraded, I can't say enough about this location, house. Area, it was all so nice. The owners are great folks who own a goat farm about 10 miles away. They have lovingly restored and updated this riverside gem.
Great for families of 4 to 8.
I hope to visit there again.
Great house and very nice owners. A true Craftsman gem, every detail was so unique. Christine referred us to the local Marina and we parked the pontoon right at the property. A wonderful way to experience the scenic St. Croix River. The house is walking distance to the local general store, bar and grill, and the awesome ice cream shop. This house would also be great in the winter with the fireplaces and hot tub!!
Magic on the River
The perfect venue to experience the St Croix and the little town of Marine. So custom and beautifully appointed.
Peaceful, Idyllic Setting!
The property had great character and was very well maintained and equipped. Very private setting with lovely river view. Easy drive to Stillwater and other surrounding points of interest. The host, Christine, met us at the home upon arrival to give us a tour and answer any questions we had and left us a lovely welcome gift of wine, cheese and crackers. The only downside was that the sofa sleepers were a bit uncomfortable, but I would highly recommend this property and would gladly stay there again.
• Enjoy this charming Craftsman style house with its many windows facing the river, its sweeping wrap-around deck, its lower patio area, and its mission-style architectural detail.
• Enjoy being part of the charming, historic village of Marine on St. Croix. Once a lumbering town, later a summer residence haven for city dwellers, Marine has maintained the look and feel of its history. Its architecture reflects the New England heritage of its first settlers and the feel of a vacation retreat. Take the short walk to the Marine Landing and Cafe, Marine Café Coffee Shop, the Marine General Store, St. Croix Chocolates, the community library, the Village Hall and Brookside Bar and Grill. Across from Brookside, enjoy looking over the falls rushing down to the river. For a complete look at the village, take the 'Historic Walking Tour' of the village with the guidance of the walking tour map you'll find at the house. From the village center take the short return walk to the Maison sans Chèvres and its sense of seclusion.
• Enjoy the wintertime - cross country skiing and snow shoeing at William O'Brien State Park, 2 miles north.
• Enjoy the spring, summer and fall living along the river. While the house is about 30' up on the riverbank, we have a short flight of deck stairs leading down to the river and our private dock. From our spacious deck you can watch life in its many forms on this quiet river; from Taylors Falls on the north to south of the village of Marine, the river is a 'slow speed zone' ideal for appreciating the unique beauty of the Lower St. Croix National Scenic Riverway.
•Enjoy Stillwater. Travel 10 miles south to the historic town of Stillwater. Often called the 'Birthplace of Minnesota', Stillwater offers many wonderful antique shops, clothing stores, gift shops, and restaurants, museums, the historic Lift Bridge to Wisconsin, riverboat and gondola rides , and marinas for boat rentals to explore the St. Croix River. Winery and apple orchard nearby.
• Enjoy William O'Brien State Park , just 3 minutes north on Hwy. 95. There you can hike, bike, explore, swim at the Lake Alice beach, rent canoes for local paddling, or in winter cross country ski or snow shoe,
• Enjoy historic Scandia, site of the first Swedish settlement in Minnesota. Scandia boasts Gammelgarden Museum and Hay Lake Schoolhouse Museum, historic sites and shops for antiques and gifts.
• Enjoy Taylors Falls, just 20 minutes north on Hwy 95. Along the way you can take in the free outdoor Franconia Sculpture Garden at the junction of Hwy 95 and Hwy 8. At Taylors Falls you can rent canoes and kayaks, take a riverboat ride or try rock climbing.
• Enjoy other historic nearby towns including Lindstrom in Minesota and St. Croix Falls, Osceola, and Hudson in WI.
• Drive 40 minutes to St. Paul or 45 minutes to Minneapolis for museums, theatres, sporting events and so much more; drive 1 hour to Mall of America for mega shopping