|Minimum Stay||2 nights|
Your booking will be backed by our Book with Confidence Guarantee when you complete your reservation online and finalise payment on HomeAway.Learn more
Maison sans Chèvres, our charming Craftsman style home, has two stories, both with great windows overlooking the St. Croix River.
The main level features a granite countertop kitchen with stainless steel appliances made for enjoying cooking and eating, a dining area that can accommodate 8-10 people; an inviting parlour with a gas fireplace, windows overlooking the river and a queen sized sleep sofa; a guest bathroom, and a master bedroom suite with jacuzzi tub and separate shower stall.
The lower level features a cozy TV nook with a queen sized sleep sofa, a fireplace sitting area, a unique bathroom and a bedroom with a window overlooking the river.
The upper level walks out onto a spacious, wrap around deck. The lower level walks out to a patio with a river cabin feel. Both outdoor areas have furniture for enjoying the sights and sounds of the river and for eating. There is a gas grill on the deck.
As we live only a 10 minute drive away, we will be at the house to welcome you upon your arrival and we will be available by phone if you need questions answered or assistance during your stay.
We have been farming in the St. Croix Valley for over 40 years. If you know anything about farming, you know that there is no 'getting away from work'. You're there 24/7, with all the joys and worries that brings. We never had a vacation home until we bought the river house last year. We
purchased it with the intent of allowing us a perfect way to 'get away'. It only takes us 10 minutes to drive there from our farm, allowing us
to get away frequently and easily. You may be curious about the name 'Maison sans Chèvres'. Our farm is a large, commercial Grade A dairy goat farm. The river house is our 'home without goats.' We've stated the name in French to honor the river's name and the French voyageurs who explored it. (We originally called the house 'Chateau', but decided to change its name to 'Maison' to more accurately reflect its cottage-like character).
Christine Maefsky purchased this house in 2012
In the 42 years we've lived in this area, we've come to love the St. Croix River and the very unique town of Marine on St. Croix. When we were lucky enough to be able to get this architectural gem of a house - not only on the river but also in the village of Marine on St. Croix - we were thrilled. It is the perfect vacation home for us. As we're not able to use it full time, we enjoy sharing it with others.
The Maison sans Chèvres is a peaceful, warm, welcoming house. It has an incredible amount of character. Being right on the river allows for a unique connection to nature and the river towns north and south of us.
Marine on St. Croix is an historic town whose residents take a great deal of pride in their history, their natural surroundings, and the creative energy of people. There are numerous cultural events that occur here throughout the year: concerts in the historic Marine Village Hall, art fairs and exhibitions - from Fourth of July celebrations to the Christmas Market, taking enjoyment from life is an ongoing theme here.
Being in this warm, small town setting but still so close to busier life in the larger towns nearby and even close to the Twin Cities (St. Paul is only a 40 minute easy drive away), gives visitors an opportunity to experience a range of Minnesota life.
As for the house itself, remodeling, updating and furnishing this house has been a labor of love for us. We think the results of our efforts reflect our appreciation for quality and for history.
Maisons sans Chevres is a terrific house beautifully located on the St Croix River and just a few minutes’ walk to the quaint little town (village) of Marine on St. Croix. We spent an extended weekend enjoying the house, the village and the beautiful country side. The owners (Christine and Vincent) could not have been more welcoming and gracious. Christine met us on our arrival and gave us a tour of the house. The kitchen was very well stocked with everything one would need for cooking simple to elaborate meals. The 2 bottles of wine and cheese from Christine was a very nice touch. We had the extraordinary good luck to have a tour of their farm as part of the weekend when the co-ops highlight some of their providers. All in all, the house and the location was more than we had anticipated.
This home is very clean and has all of the conveniences of your own home. The little town is adorable and located just a short stroll around the corner. Our family would definitely go back.
Great location! What a quaint little town, has everything you need walking distance. Upon arriving we met the owner who was very pleasant along with the home itself. The highlight for the kids was the tour of their goat farm not too far from the house.
We would highly recommend this home, plenty of space but yet very cozy!
Marine on St. Croix and Maisons Sans Chevres were perfect for our family reunion. The house is easy walking to the general store, coffee shop, restaurant and also access to nature trails, artist studios and Stillwater. The site overlooking the river is exceptional. We saw trumpeter swans, eagles, cranes and more all from the dining/living/deck areas.
The house has everything we needed, plenty of room for eight, big and well equipped kitchen, great bathrooms and well stocked with assorted games. We gathered from all parts of the country and everyone is hoping for a return visit in the future.
Super nice, well decorated house on the St Croix river. Like some of the other reviewers stated, the house is much better in person than as depicted in the pictures. Great location with the small downtown a few blocks away and a short drive to Stillwater and Taylors falls. Perfect if you are looking for a quiet getaway. Owner was easy to work with and we have no complaints. Would book again in the future.
This was the perfect setting for our girls reunion getaway! There was plenty of room for the seven of us and the place is immaculate! We utilized the large kitchen (equip with every you need for cooking, prep etc) & the beautiful deck area for making our meals, relaxing, laughing & playing games. Christine & her family were very helpful, patient & accommodating to our needs.
Marine on St. Croix is a charming, quiet village - you can easily walk around the area for shopping or grabbing a bite to eat (including delicious ice cream!) And everyone is extremely friendly. We made the easy, short drive to Stillwater for nightlife one evening.
I would highly recommend this property - it is home away from home!
• Enjoy this charming Craftsman style house with its many windows facing the river, its sweeping wrap-around deck, its lower patio area, and its mission-style architectural detail.
• Enjoy being part of the charming, historic village of Marine on St. Croix. Once a lumbering town, later a summer residence haven for city dwellers, Marine has maintained the look and feel of its history. Its architecture reflects the New England heritage of its first settlers and the feel of a vacation retreat. Take the short walk to the Marine Landing and Cafe, Marine Café Coffee Shop, the Marine General Store, St. Croix Chocolates, the community library, the Village Hall and Brookside Bar and Grill. Across from Brookside, enjoy looking over the falls rushing down to the river. For a complete look at the village, take the 'Historic Walking Tour' of the village with the guidance of the walking tour map you'll find at the house. From the village center take the short return walk to the Maison sans Chèvres and its sense of seclusion.
• Enjoy the wintertime - cross country skiing and snow shoeing at William O'Brien State Park, 2 miles north.
• Enjoy the spring, summer and fall living along the river. While the house is about 30' up on the riverbank, we have a short flight of deck stairs leading down to the river and our private dock. From our spacious deck you can watch life in its many forms on this quiet river; from Taylors Falls on the north to south of the village of Marine, the river is a 'slow speed zone' ideal for appreciating the unique beauty of the Lower St. Croix National Scenic Riverway.
•Enjoy Stillwater. Travel 10 miles south to the historic town of Stillwater. Often called the 'Birthplace of Minnesota', Stillwater offers many wonderful antique shops, clothing stores, gift shops, and restaurants, museums, the historic Lift Bridge to Wisconsin, riverboat and gondola rides , and marinas for boat rentals to explore the St. Croix River. Winery and apple orchard nearby.
• Enjoy William O'Brien State Park , just 3 minutes north on Hwy. 95. There you can hike, bike, explore, swim at the Lake Alice beach, rent canoes for local paddling, or in winter cross country ski or snow shoe,
• Enjoy historic Scandia, site of the first Swedish settlement in Minnesota. Scandia boasts Gammelgarden Museum and Hay Lake Schoolhouse Museum, historic sites and shops for antiques and gifts.
• Enjoy Taylors Falls, just 20 minutes north on Hwy 95. Along the way you can take in the free outdoor Franconia Sculpture Garden at the junction of Hwy 95 and Hwy 8. At Taylors Falls you can rent canoes and kayaks, take a riverboat ride or try rock climbing.
• Enjoy other historic nearby towns including Lindstrom in Minesota and St. Croix Falls, Osceola, and Hudson in WI.
• Drive 40 minutes to St. Paul or 45 minutes to Minneapolis for museums, theatres, sporting events and so much more; drive 1 hour to Mall of America for mega shopping
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
My Standard Rate
2 night minimum stay
for 2 nights
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£158|