Pack your backpack for a trip to the mountains. The Birch cabin is a one bath studio vacation rental cabin that sleeps 4 in southwestern Colorado. Sitting on the side of a mountain just 500 feet from the shores of Lake Vallecito, this cabin is an outdoor enthusiast's paradise. During the summer enjoy, boating, fishing, hiking, swimming, relaxing and exploring. In the fall, come and experience the spectacular fall colors.
The Birch cabin is a quaint, single story, 340 square foot cabin built in 1957 and updated in 2016. This open floor plan vacation rental has 1 queen bed and 1 double bed. It includes a private bath with shower, a kitchenette with a refrigerator and small freezer, a microwave, a drip coffee maker, a portable, electric, countertop oven with a 2 burner stove. cookware, dishes, and utensils.
While staying at this cabin, you'll be welcomed home with swaying pine trees and the occasional local chipmunk or songbird, stopping by to say hello. After a busy day on the lake or the hiking trail, this cabin serves as the perfect place to take a hot shower, unwind and plan your next day’s adventure.
Retreat inside and enjoy some well-deserved downtime. Prepare a simple dinner in the kitchenette while loved ones cast their line one more time down by the lake in search of fish known to be in our lake--Kokanee salmon, rainbow and brown trout, northern pike, walleye, smallmouth bass, or yellow perch.
End the day with card games or storytelling. Watch a movie on the flat screen TV with DVD player or read a good book. Can’t get enough of the outdoors? Amaze yourself by the clarity of the stars that seem to go on forever before calling it a night.
Kids or friends can doze off in the double bed, while you sink into the queen-sized bed in the adjacent room with a partial room divider.
Refuel with a laid back breakfast, lunch or dinner at one of the local restaurants a short walk or drive away. Pick up your groceries as you pass through Durango or Pagasa Springs if you plan on cooking in. For last minute items, check out the Vallecito Country Market or the Rocky Mountain General Store. For something special, the Country Market offers a variety of homemade fudge and the General Store makes their own Elk jerky and sausage.
History abounds in Vallecito which was once the hunting and gathering grounds for the Southern Ute Indians before the reservoir was built in 1941. Activities on Lake Vallecito and in the San Juan National Forest are varied depending on the season and your desire for adventure.
Take a scenic, 25-mile drive around the lake or drive up Middle Mountain to witness breathtaking vistas. Bring your fishing pole and your boat and launch in the Vallecito Marina which is a half a mile walk or drive away. Rent one of our kayaks or canoes or rent a skiff or pontoon boat at the marina. For a change of scenery, hike the Vallecito Creek Trail or tour downtown Durango. Another popular tourist attraction is relaxing in the historic hot springs in Pagosa Springs.
-- this cabin is one of 3 cabins (Aspen, Birch and Cedar) that sit on flat ground that slopes down to the Lake Vallecito shoreline with a view across the lake of the San Juan Mountains.
-guests can walk but cannot drive down to the lakeshore.
-the cabin is marked with a small gray sign labeled ‘Birch’ at the front left side of the cabin.
- cell phone service and GPS devices don’t always work near this cabin. Therefore, it is recommended that guests print out directions to get to the cabin before leaving home.
-the owner of the cabin lives offsite; text the owner with any questions before, during or after your stay
- this cabin operates on a septic system. There is no garbage disposal. Please do not pour baking grease or clorox down the sink. Grease pockets are provided in the cabinet for guests to discard used, baking grease after it is cooled.
- Bears, raccoons, chipmunks and other wildlife are prevalent in the area. Do not feed wildlife. Do not leave food outdoors or in unlocked cars.
-this cabin is not suitable for individuals with mobility challenges.
- There is room to park one vehicle behind the Birch cabin. Please do not block the drives or roads around the Birch cabin as they are a used by others.
-If you have any special vehicle parking needs, please discuss with the owner in advance and we'll try to accommodate your needs.
- No smoking
- No pets allowed either of guests or their guests
- No events, parties or large gatherings
- This cabin can comfortably sleep 4 guests in 2 beds.
- Photo ID may be required upon check-in
- Check out is before 11:00 AM
- Prior to your departure, please tidy up the cabin and remove your trash in the dumpster on the drive out.
-Pura Vida is a popular local cafe that is open May-Oct that sits just in front of the Vallecito Marina - ½ a mile away.
-Durango/Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad and museum are ~ 23 miles away.
-Mesa Verde National Park with historic cliff dwellings is ~ 58 miles away.
-Nearest Commercial Airport is the Durango-La Plata County Airport ~ 30 miles away.
- Vallecito Lake Country Market - 18071 Co Rd 501, Bayfield, CO 81122 - 3.6 miles away
-Rocky Mountain General Store - 17454 Co Rd 501, Bayfield, CO 81122 - 3.0 miles away
- Hospital: Mercy Regional Medical Center - 1010 Three Springs Blvd, Durango, CO - 24 miles away
- Durango-La Plata County Airport, 1000 Airport Rd, Durango, CO 81303 - 29.4 miles away.