Lace up the hiking boots and head to the Aspen cabin. This cabin is a 1-bath, studio vacation rental cabin that sleeps 4 in southwestern Colorado. Perched on a mountain overlooking Lake Vallecito, this spot is perfect for those who love to be outside soaking up cool mountain air and sunshine. With a variety of outdoor adventures to experience, the Aspen cabin is a hidden gem in the heart of the San Juan Mountains. During the summer enjoy, boating, fishing, hiking, swimming, relaxing and exploring. In the fall, come and experience the spectacular fall colors.
This cabin is a 1 story, open floor plan with 1 queen bed and 1 double bed; private bath with shower, kitchenette with refrigerator, small freezer, microwave, coffee maker, two burner, electric, countertop stove/oven, cookware, dishes, and utensils.
This cabin comes with mountains, lake views and lake access and Aspen and Pine trees. Spend your early mornings drinking coffee sitting outside on the front porch while the more adventurous tackle the short, 500 foot walk down to the lake to cast a line in the water in search of kokanee salmon, rainbow and brown trout, northern pike, walleye, smallmouth bass, or yellow perch.
After a long day spent on the water, retreat inside the Aspen cabin to unwind watching a DVD on the flat-screen TV with DVD player or enjoy your favorite book.
If you're not up for the ½ mile walk to the Pura Vida Cafe, treat friends instead to an easy night in. The kitchenette is equipped to prepare simple snacks and quick dinners.
End the night with stargazing and storytelling outside, with an expansive view of the Milky Way. When the evening grows cold, retreat inside and turn up the heat for a cozy night’s rest.
History abounds in Vallecito which was once the hunting and gathering grounds for the Southern Ute Indians before the reservoir was built in 1941. Activities on Lake Vallecito and in the San Juan National Forest are varied depending on the season and your desire for adventure.
Take a scenic, 25-mile drive around the lake or drive up Middle Mountain to witness breathtaking vistas. Bring your fishing pole and your boat and launch in the Vallecito Marina--½ a mile walk or drive away. Rent a kayak, canoe, skiff or pontoon boat at the marina. For a change of scenery, hike the Vallecito Creek Trail or tour downtown Durango or bathe in the historic hot springs in Pagosa Springs.
Refuel with a laid back breakfast, lunch or dinner at one of the local restaurants, all a short walk or drive away. Pick up your groceries as you pass through Durango or Pagosa Springs if you plan on cooking in. Or, for last minute items, check out the Vallecito Country Market or the Rocky Mountain General Store. For something special, the Country Market offers a variety of homemade fudge and the General Store makes their own Elk jerky and sausage.
-Pura Vida is a popular local cafe that is open May-Oct that sits just in front of the Vallecito Marina - ½ a mile away.
-Durango/Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad and museum are ~ 23 miles away.
-Mesa Verde National Park with historic cliff dwellings is ~ 58 miles away.
-Nearest Commercial Airport is the Durango-La Plata County Airport ~ 30 miles away.
-Owner lives off site; Owner’s family rents out additional cabins next door.
- No smoking
- No pets allowed of guests or their guests
- No events, parties or large gatherings
- No more than 4 guests.
- Guests must be at least 21 years old to book
- Check in 3pm-9pm.
- Cell phone service and GPS devices don’t always work near the Aspen cabin. Therefore, it is recommended that guests print out directions to get to the cabin before leaving home.
- The home is accessible via keyless entry. The code is 3724.
- Check out is before 11:00 AM
- Prior to your departure, please tidy up the cabin by doing the following:
- Remove all perishable items
- Place all used linens and towels in the shower stall for cleaning
- Clean the dishes and put them away.
- Turn the propane heater down to the lowest setting.
- Turn off lights and appliances
- Unplug the coffee maker
- Close all windows and close and lock the front door
- Gather up and dispose of your trash as you leave the property in the green dumpster that you see as you drive in and out. The dumpster has a combination lock. The code to the combination lock is 2602. Make sure the lock is securely closed to prevent bears from getting in the dumpster.
- Additional fees will be imposed if you leave the cabin after the designated checkout time or if the above instructions are not followed.
- The Aspen cabin operates on a septic system. There is no garbage disposal in this cabin. Be careful with excessive water usage and with what goes down the drain. Use toilet paper provided and not kleenex. Throw away feminine hygiene products in the trash can provided.
-Please do not pour baking grease or clorox down the sink. Discard used, baking grease in the grease pockets provided after grease is cooled.
-No guests of guests are allowed without prior approval of the owner.
- Bears, raccoons, chipmunks and other wildlife are prevalent in the area. Do not feed wildlife. Do not leave food outdoors or in unlocked cars.
- The Aspen cabin sits on flat land that slopes down the side of a mountain. Guests can walk but cannot drive down to the lakeshore. This cabin is not suitable for individuals with mobility challenges.
- 1 vehicle can be parked in front of the cabin
- Please do not park on the paved concrete pad in front of the Aspen cabin. Please do not block the drives or roads around the Aspen cabin.
- Vallecito Lake Country Market - 18071 Co Rd 501, Bayfield, CO 81122 - 3.6 miles away
-Rocky Mountain General Store - 17454 Co Rd 501, Bayfield, CO 81122 - 3.0 miles away
- Hospital: Mercy Regional Medical Center - 1010 Three Springs Blvd, Durango, CO - 24 miles away
- Durango-La Plata County Airport, 1000 Airport Rd, Durango, CO 81303 - 29.4 miles away.
14452 County Road 501, Aspen, Bayfield, Colorado, 81122, United States - Aspen Cabin