|Minimum Stay||2 nights|
BRING YOUR DOGS and let them run in the country on 37 acres! This is a house you both can enjoy! (Please note, that this has been a cat-friendly house previously, in case you or anyone in your group are sensitive or allergic to cats/hair.)
I just started the Rocky Hill Farms Facebook page - check out photos!
INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT THIS HOUSE:
This house was a Swedish Barn, from Barrington, IL, that was taken down and resurrected on this site, in 1987, the architect taking advantage of the Mississippi River and tri-state views from every window and vantage point. It has been and continues to be a conservation and preservation property.
Every window in this house has a view of something special – a valley, a ridge, a tree, a prairie. The views are “million dollar”! The Mississippi River (and refuge) can be seen in all seasons, but the view in winter expands as the leaves fall. At night, the lights of Dubuque and the bridge can be seen year round. In summer, you’ll see the lights of the barges shining down the chute. Pilot Knob can be seen as can Sinsinawa WI. Tri state views! Lights of Galena at night as well. The topography of the property, affords views in all directions. An overhead shows where the 5 or so major ridges (fingers) protrude from the property. The view from the back deck is to the Northwest (largest part of the River bend).
Chestnut Mountain resort is 3 miles away and the lights of Chestnut can be vaguely seen through the woods at night.
This is a working conservation farm. As such, the owners, workers, or volunteers may be on the property attending to syrup, bees, garden, woods or landscape at anytime. Their access will be limited to the garage, shed and exterior. We will do our best to allow you maximum privacy, and will not enter the house.
We operate 'Rocky Hill Farms' with several business incomes:
• Honey bees – there are 3 hives on the property, producing anywhere from 40-100 gallons of pure organic honey every year. The summer honey is beautifully fragrant, as the bees feast on the spring trees and the prairie flowers. If a late fall harvest of honey is taken, it may be a combination of prairie flowers and goldenrod. Both honeys are good for allergies. Honey sells for $20/qt as an organic premium honey.
• Maple Syrup – there are approximately 16 buckets to collect maple sap, from trees in the front yard as well as the silver maples in the back yard. Tapping the trees occurs in mid to late February and lasts 2-4 weeks, depending on temperatures. Daytime temperatures need to break into the 40’s and nighttime temperatures need to be below freezing. In the past, Rocky Hill Farms has produces 2 gallons of syrup (2011), 3 gallons (2012) and 1.5 gallons (2013). Maple syrup sells for $20/8oz as a premium handcrafted and organic syrup.
• Morels – morel mushrooms brought $50/pound in downtown Chicago, during late April to mid May, collecting as much as your time allows – filling 2 5 gallon buckets every year.
• Blackraspberries – collection time is late June through July on the paths that surround the property, collecting several gallons of berries every year.
• The Organic Garden – over the last 3 years, we have put in 6 raised beds filled with rich compost materials and dirt. No pesticides have ever been used. Garden production is extremely high in this rich soil. There are also 2 apple trees, 1 cherry tree, 1 plum tree, and 1 peach tree that were planted in 2011 – so are still young to produce, prolifically, but are growing. Organic vegetables and fruits are sold at local farmers markets and/or to local restaurants at great prices.
• Prairie – the prairie was planted in the Fall of 2010 with over 67 species of flowers and grasses. No pesticides have been used in the maintenance, instead opting for prairie burn and cutting of weeds until prairie is established, typically 3 years. The prairie is prime for seeds, which will be packaged and sold as Rocky Hill Farms Illinois Native Prairie Wildflower Mix. Have used Cory Ritterbush of Prairieworks, Inc (Shullsburg, WI) to consult on the project. A species list is available with hyperlinks to the species.
• The Tree Farm – approximately 32 acres are in a managed Tree Farm Plan with the IDNR State of Illinois. There are numerous white pines, oaks and black walnuts. The “woods” are also in the tree plan, and are being managed to limit invasive species and to promote the growth of the good hardwoods.
• The “Woods” – we have had several naturalists come and walk the property and the property is home to several unique features including some sinkholes at the southern end of the prairie, numerous rock outcroppings at about 800’ elevation surrounding the property, with views of the Mississippi River from several, rare wildflowers including the endangered Canadian Violet, numerous ferns. There are two natural springs lower on the property. Wild ginseng also exists. We have done some restoration to increase the view, cut invasive species and promote good tree growth.
FEATURES OF THE HOME:
3 Bedrooms - 1 on each floor, with 2 sleeping lofts
3 Full Bathrooms - 1 on each floor
Gourmet Kitchen with separate pantry and wine cooler, SS appliances, 6 burner gas stove w griddle
Woodburning Fireplace, Heat and AC
Combined Kitchen, Dining, Living Room (Great Room)
Upstairs TV Lounge area
Back Deck with views
Covered Front Porch with Rocking Chairs
Large Screened Porch with Seating Furniture
Hot Tub outside Lower Level
3 Miles from Chestnut Mountain Ski Resort, fine dining
8 miles from Historic downtown Galena
1st floor - Master Bedroom with Queen bed (sleeps 2)
2nd floor - There is a bedroom with a queen bed (sleeps 2). This bedroom has an adjoined sleeping loft with twin bed (sleeps 1). Also upstairs next to the TV lounge is another loft space with a R&B convertible bed that can be 1 twin, 2 twins or 1 queen when separated.
Please note that when requested as queen - both mattresses will be on the floor with a featherbed covering and comfortable linens. When requested as 2 twins, both mattresses will be on the floor, but separated, and with comfortable linens. Since these beds are low to the ground, you should be able to get up/down comfortably (i.e. may not be appropriate for older adults, individuals with bad knees, etc..) When requested as a twin, mattresses are stacked, and bed has comfortable linens.
Lower level - 2 twins (sleeps 2), new Jan/2014, both with comfortable linens.
2 Extra plush air mattresses are available with plenty of room anywhere
1st floor off master bedroom, full with jacuzzi tub and separate shower
2nd floor, full with shower
Lower level, new, full with walk-in shower
OUTDOOR fire pit w Adirondack chairs.
Pets allowed with permission, pet fee and prior approval. Please inquire before making deposits/payment. You must sign the Pet Addendum which will be sent to you. $100 first pet, $25 each additional pet. Maximum 3 pets.
IMPROVEMENTS TO THE HOUSE
• Fall 2011: new gourmet custom kitchen. Stainless steel appliances including
o 48” KitchenAid duel fuel range w/ griddle
o custom cabinet depth Kitchen Aid side by side refrigerator
o Kitchen Aid dishwasher
o JennAir under counter microwave drawer
o Kohler sink w/ disposal
o Soapstone counters
o Cabinets are knotty maple
o Seed glass used in “hutch”, transom, and cabinets in pantry
o Pantry includes a stainless steel beverage cooler, a 48” antique cast iron sink, custom cubby holes (mudroom).
• Whole house interior painted 2011-2012
• Spring, 2013: entire lower level remodeling which included:
o Custom wine room
o New pantry/storage
o New shower/sink/toilet with radiant flooring
o New ceramic floor throughout
o Radiant flooring in bedroom
o Large walk in closet in lower level bedroom
o New light fixtures throughout
o New walk in mudroom for coats/shoes/etc…
Property is an excellent property for snowshoeing and xxskiing. Equipment can be rented locally (please inquire and I can help you make arrangements.) Walking and hiking are our favorite activities here as is cycling on the country roads.
I am happy to coordinate many activities for you and have done so for my own company. I can arrange for bootcamps, yoga classes/instruction, golf outings, retreats, and getaways, massage therapists to come to the house, chefs to cook healthy meals, grocery/liquor delivery services, and more. Please inquire if you have a group and you wish me to help plan your weekend or week getaway. Great house for weddings, corporate retreats, and girls getaway weekends, and family reunions. This house is not acceptable or appropriate for loud parties or college/high school drinking parties. Please do not even inquire.
This property 'spoke' to me the moment I saw it. Long driveway, towering oaks, rolling hills and woods. When I heard the story, of how the structure was an old barn that was resurrected on this property years ago, I understood the importance of preserving its history, thus began my own personal service project of preserving and conserving the house and property. This home has served as a personal journey for me, and I hope to share it with you.
Things I love about this house and property:
I LOVE sitting on the front porch with a cup of coffee watching the sun come up to the east. In summer, the warm sunshine gently warms the porch. In spring and fall, I wrap myself in a blanket and enjoy the sunrise.
I LOVE sitting on the front porch rocking chair, listening to the rain.
I LOVE sitting in the screened porch late into the evening, reading a book, or just listening to the owls hooting and the coyotes howling.
I LOVE sitting on the porch in the mornings, with my coffee, in April and May, with the bird migration - the sounds of the birds can be deafening! But I love it!
I LOVE sitting on the deck, having my lunch. Quiet and a view.
I LOVE setting up an air mattress on the deck outside, watching the stars and the meteor showers, and falling asleep to the quiet.
I LOVE how my friends say, every time they come out here, 'It's so quiet out here.'
I LOVE walking the prairie in the morning with the dew on the grass.
I LOVE walking the prairie in the evening with a glass of wine.
I LOVE gardening, and canning and drying what the garden produces.
I LOVE tapping the trees and making maple syrup!!!
I LOVE sharing beekeeping with neighbors!
I LOVE utilizing every inch of outdoor recreation of this property - walking, snowshoeing!
I LOVE the birds (over 60!) and wild animals.
I LOVE the prairie and how it changes colors with the seasons.
I LOVE the sunsets over the Mississippi!
Please enjoy this house as much as I do.
Rocky Hill Farms is an amazing property. The house and grounds really are beyond description - words and photos are simply not adequate to describe this location. I traveled here for an anniversary weekend with my husband and our two American Bulldogs. To say we loved it is an understatement. The grounds and surrounding scenery are breathtaking. The house is so well-equipped and beautifully furnished that I was amazed. I've stayed at several rental homes, many high-end, and none came close to the amenities offered at Rocky Hill Farms. Of course I loved the gourmet kitchen - fabulous! We all loved the beautiful front porch, the large back deck, and the wonderful screen porch (complete with beautiful wind chimes). The location is perfect - a quick 15 miin drive into downtown Galena. The grounds must be experienced - sitting outside at night listening to the call of the Barred Owl while stargazing at the brilliant display of stars overhead is an amazing experience. While I enjoyed the peace and tranquility of the property with its exceptional array of plants, trees and birds, my husband and logs loved hiking and running (bounding) through the prairie and woods. I really cannot say enough good things about Rocky Hill Farms. If you're on the fence at all, seriously, just stop your research and book now. This is by far the best place in Galena. And a bonus - owner/hostess Kathy is beyond wonderful. Very responsive, professional, courteous and accessible via Home Away, call/text, and facebook messenger. Thank you, Kathy, for opening your beautiful property to the public. We look forward to returning soon.
If you're looking for a secluded area to spend time with family/friends... this is it. Beautiful piece of property and a beautiful home.
Wow! What an awesome place for a family get-away! Close enough to the activities, great shops and restaurants in Galena, and yet far enough in the country for peaceful, quiet time.
The house was large enough to give plenty of "private" space, and wonderful gathering space for the whole family. We enjoyed the fantastic views from the large deck and from almost every window - more than one afternoon nap in the comfortable porch lounge chairs!
We loved early morning walks on the property and exploring the herb garden for special dinner ingredients!
Absolutely a five star property!
The photos on this site are wonderful, but the actual house, the land, the views and the garden were even better in person than in the photos. When we walked into the house and saw the kitchen, then the bedrooms, and the three porches, we were so excited, then we looked out and saw the views...we couldn't have imagined a better place to spend 4 days with our family and dog.
The owner is very professional and at the same time has a lovely, warm way about her. She left plenty of information in a well-organized notebook about anything we would conceivably have questions about. The linens were clean, fresh and very nice quality.
I have told many friends about this place, and recommend it highly.
No one in our family has ever been into bird watching but outside the large picture window is a bird house with many little houses that attract a dozen bird species we have never seen before. The owner has a bird species chart and we made a family game of recognizing all the various species of birds on the chart. We loved the organic garden.
We made some wonderful meals using some of the herbs from the garden. We never watched any movies while we were there, we found we spent a lot of time together playing lawn games, bike riding, taking walks, sitting on the different porches, sitting in the hot tub, preparing meals and sitting down to 3 meals a day as a family.
As a family vacation it was relaxing, refreshing and renewing.
My husband and I, along with our 2 adult children and their children enjoyed this home for a week end that went way too fast. We loved the house and all that it had to offer, inside and out. Kathy (the owner) went out of her way to assure that we could enjoy watching our favorite basketball team during he NCAA Tournament. Thanks, Kathy for providing us a place to be together to cheer. We all hated to leave this little slice of heaven at the end of the week end.
My family and I went skiing/snowshoeing at Kathy's cabin and it was the most peaceful trip we have taken in a long time. It was a nice break from reality! The house is absolutely stunning!! Everything you could possibly need is provided for your stay. We went grocery shopping in Galena and the cooked a big dinner and breakfast for everyone to enjoy! Kathy did an excellent job of laying all the information out for us ahead of time, so the pack up/clean up went smooth as well. We sincerely enjoyed every minute of this slice of heaven and look forward to coming back again!! Thank you, Kathy!!
While this house is rural, sitting quietly and privately on 37 acres, it is located just 3 miles to Chestnut Mountain Resort (bars, restaurants, skiing, alpine slide in summer, putt putt golf, hiking, mountain biking, off-road Segway tours) and 8 miles to historic downtown Galena with dozens of restaurants, bars, wineries and outdoor activities (kayaking, biking, SUP - check out Fever River Outfitters). Hospital is 15 minutes away, and it has a fitness center with day pass for $8/day. Walmart and groceries are also 15 minutes away. Dubuque is 30-40 minute drive away and there are lots of restaurants and a Casino at the Port of Dubuque. Local hunting in JoDaviess County is outstanding and the property has large bucks, does, and turkey on and nearby. (Hunting is prohibited on the 37 acres. You must secure your own hunting license and locations.)
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£400|
|Property Damage Protection||£79|
Upon satisfactory departure and inspection, the damage deposit shall be refunded. Damages for which charges will be incurred include anything except normal wear and tear. In the event that special cleaning is required, an amount will be taken from the damage deposit. Grocery service available.
* Approximate monthly price. Actual pricing will depend on the days of the month you stay.