“Underoaks,” our summer cottage on the Maine coast, built in 1912, has been cherished by our family and friends since 1934.
Underoaks is a seasonal home situated on 1.5+ acres of private waterfront, with beautiful views of Casco Bay and easy access to both Freeport (15 minutes) and Portland (20 minutes). It is rented by the week from late-May through September. Although we are relatively new to HomeAway, we have been renting the house 'offline' for decades!
Here you will enjoy both old-fashioned 'Maine camp' authenticity and modern conveniences. With an updated, fully-equipped, eat-in kitchen, large living room, four bedrooms plus a screened sleeping porch (room for 11 people), and 2 bathrooms, it’s the ideal spot for multiple generations or several families to share. The property also has two sets of private steps to the rocky beachfront and ample yard space for kids of all ages to enjoy.
Explore all that Casco Bay has to offer, from Portland's excellent restaurants to LLBean and other Freeport shopping, then return home to watch the sunset over the bay on one of the house's two porches (one covered). Or spend a quiet day on the rocks, in the sunny kitchen or living room, or on the porch hammock, perhaps with a book from our extensive collection of mystery & detective novels, plus many others genres. Kids enjoy a selection of picture books and YA favorites, including the complete Harry Potter.
In addition to our private waterfront, guests enjoy the use of the neighborhood association pier, just steps from the house. We are happy to provide recommendations for kayak and bike rentals in the area.
· Master bedroom (queen bed) and full bath with shower stall on first floor
· 3 bedrooms upstairs (one with queen bed, other have two twins each) plus a screened sleeping porch (three twins), and full bath with footed tub/shower. The upstairs rooms retain that rustic 'camp' atmosphere, and every bedroom has beautiful water views.
· Large, modernized, eat-in kitchen with adjacent deck. The deck is our favorite spot for watching the sunset.
· Kitchen amenities include gas stove, dishwasher, microwave, coffee maker, food processor, blender, toaster, pots & pans (including multiple large lobster pots), ample dishes & glassware for a crowd, etc. Second refrigerator in garage.
· Living room with working fireplace and access to large covered porch, both with extensive waterfront views
· Free wifi (no long distance phone service or TV set)
· Garage parking for 1 car, driveway space for 3 more
· Stereo with iPod connection in the kitchen
· Two gas heaters on the first floor, good for cooler Maine days/nights
· All bedding & towels are provided
· Washer & dryer in kitchen
· House is cleaned between tenants only
· No smoking or pets