5 Bedrooms, 1.5 Baths, (Sleeps 10) rents weekly in summer. 3 nights off season
Tom and Patsy Harman
About Tom and Patsy Harman
The Harman's, Tom and Patsy and three grown boys (and now grandkids) have been coming to Pelee Island since Tom was in his OB/Gyn residency at Case Western University in Cleveland. We now live in WV but get to the island fairly often. Tom is still in practice and Patsy, a nurse-midwife, works part time in the office and is an author of memoirs and novels.
Tom and Patsy Harman purchased this Cottage in 2002
Why Tom and Patsy Harman chose Pelee Island
What we love about Harmony House is the peace and quiet. The South Bay is not crowded with beach houses like some parts of Pelee Island. We have 2 1/2 acres of lawn and trees. The bay attracts all kinds of water fowl, so bring your binoculars!
What makes this Cottage unique
The house is larger than most cottages on the island and can host about 10 people. There are two living rooms so you don't all have to sit in one all the time. There is no screened in porch, so if you can bring a screen tent you might like it. From our deck on the breakwall you can see both sunrise and sunset. We see bald eagles, geese, ducks and even pelicans on the bay nearly every day. We love it.
Minimum age of primary renter:21
Cancelled bookings will not receive a refund
Great location/older property
Loved the property and the deck! Beautiful sunsets. But could use some TLC.
Comfortable, Clean, Spacious, Serene, Perfect for family weekend jaunt
I miss this place already! Pat and Tom were very accommodating. They had great communication, via email and phone. So many great island suggestions and info in the home too! It was the perfect place for me, my family of 6, and yellow lab to spend the holiday weekend. It was spacious, clean, everything working (filter on the kitchen faucet was fantastic, yay for sulfur free cooking water! Also very lucky to have a washer and dryer!) There was more than enough space for us. The yard itself was huge, perfect for us to play frisbee. Sure, the house isn’t modern or hugely updated, but it’s a lived in cottage that’s been loved on and well taken care of. I’d highly recommend anyone planning to stay on Pelee to stay at Harmony House. You’ll be missing it too once you leave! :)
Thanks so much for the nice review. Hope you come again. It is a great place isn't it? Patsy
Rustic, Private House on Pelee Island
We are a group of 5 couples that vacation together every summer. Harmony House was a lovely, secluded getaway. We read in other reviews about the proximity to the barn - but it was empty during our stay so we cannot attest to that.
The kitchen and barbeque are well-equipped for cooking.
One member of our group has a dust allergy that was acting up a lot from the carpeting.
There is very little cellphone service and no internet in the house, which made it very secluded.
Overall, we had a lovely stay in Harmony House on Pelee Island.
Thanks for the nice review. "Rustic" is a new adjective for our lakeside home. Sounds like a log cabin...which would be strange, considering the house is a 100 year old refurbished farmhouse with 5 bedrooms. Unplugged it is, however! And it's one of the things we like about Harmony House. You can occasionally get connected from out on the deck...but it's nice not to have internet all the time. You can get WiFi at the local art store for $1/30 min. Not sure about the allergies. All the carpets are pretty new (except in two rooms) and are vacuumed regularly. Hope you come again. Sounds like a great group.
Sunshine on the south side!
Another great stay at Harmony House. House was clean, tidy and well ready for our stay. Easily sleeps ten (five bedrooms). Two large common areas allow for great togetherness and still have the option to sneak off for a bit of quiet time. The house is more practical than fanciful and the awesome bits are really on the outside!
Property is wonderful with the alley of trees, the enormous expanse of lawn, and the break water deck. Combined, they constantly call you outside.
This location is exactly what you are looking for if you need to house a number of people and you love outdoor living. It's ten minutes to the hike at Fish Point, 15 minutes to the winery (!!) but still on the quiet side of the Island.
Peaceful enjoyable time
We had a wonderful quality time at the Harmony House. It is located at the southern side of the of island which is very quite area away from the mildly more active Northern and Western sides. The following are the positive and the constructive comments:
* The owners are wonderful friendly couple! they stayed in the barn, but we hardly noticed them. We actually asked for some extra favors since they were reachable :)
* The island is very peaceful place, the shops close anywhere from 2pm, 4pm and very few later. The co-op has some essentials (eggs, milk, baking materials, and some snacks) But for our party of 10, we brought two big coolers and few bags full of food. We ended up buying milk. The trash dumpster has short operating hours and takes $3 per bag but free for recyclables, we took some trash in the trailer back to Ontario.
* The house has a large yard for kids to play around, located on a 15 KPH (10 mph) dirt road.
* Is on the edge of shallow beach that you can walk down the stairs and into a 100 ft length of shallow water. Which starts rocky then gets sandy further in. The stairs could use an update as few steps had some nails sticking out and the last cement step is tilted downward and slippery
* it's right next to a deserted marina which is great if you have a boat and want to drop it off. It is deserted so it's free to park, however it is pretty gone in terms of docking areas, so you probably want to lift off your boat out of water, park it in the northern marina, or enjoy a little swim back and forth to your boat
* The house has 5 bedrooms and 10 people can sleep in comfort. There are 5 small window A/C around the house which are sufficient when it's not too hot outside, but you will need to keep the bedroom doors open upstairs since only 2 out of the 4 rooms have ACs. We would appreciate more cleaning to be done prior to our stay. Carpets could use an update, and please remove the carpet from the half bathroom! More lighting needed around the house. charcoal grill works fine, the gas grill needs replacement.
* Water from the filtration system, although potable, had very strong sulfuric odor. Leaving the water in a pitcher for a while solves it, but we ended up filling water from a water machine on the W shore Rd. I think the filtration system may need some tuning.
* For fishing, go the Northern side of the island. Nothing bites on the southern side.
It was a great time to unwind and unplug!
We enjoyed having this lovely family at Harmony House. Thanks for the tips about the house. Water was easily fixed and we again have state of the art filtration, the best on the island. Better lighting is good idea and easy to do. We could not find any nails on the dock that needed pounding in. I think after the guests found that one and pounded it in, the problem was fixed. The steps down to the water are always a problem. The peaceful bay can sometimes roar with waves as big as the ocean and the cement block at the bottom tips .This year the water has been deeper than usual and we haven't yet tried. Hope you come back someday and bring the kids.
peaceful bliss on Lake Erie
Had a great vacation at Harmony House. Since it is on the south side of the island it does not get the traffic as on the west side of the island with the dock and businesses or the north side of the island with the restaurants (not that there is a rush hour in those areas). The deck on the sea wall is a great place to relax and read or soak up the sun. Read all the books by the property owner in addition to other books in the bookcase. Also lots of videos and dvd's available if you want to watch movies. Lots of land between houses so there is a lot of privacy. All the restaurants on the island have great food and desserts. Grocery store is handy if necessary though we bought the bulk of our groceries in Leamington before we got on the ferry. Fully equipped kitchen if you want to cook your own meals, which we did many times. Hope to be back soon!
So glad you had a great time. The food on Pelee at the various eateries is great. Keep in mind there is a farmer's market on Saturday AM at the Quarry, across from Art Works. Pick up a map at the Ferry Dock. We try to leave some at the house and there is one on the kitchen cupboard, but sometimes we run out
Pelee Island is in the Western Basin of Lake Erie. There is something magical about an island. Maybe it's the light. This is a quiet place with about three places to eat, a few lively bars and a winery. If you like peace and quiet and want a time to relax and reconnect this is for you.