|Minimum Stay||3 - 4 nights|
Recently completed, new construction, beautiful architectural home designed by Designer/Builder Rob Hussey and Architect Melinda Gray, AIA (Graymatter Architecture). Featured property 2010 Venice Art Walk Architectural Tour, September 2012 CA Home + Design magazine cover story, filming location for shows & commercials.
This home is a unique architectural experience, an integration of nature, light, and volume in a horizontally and vertically open plan. Rectangular-shaped base house (steel troweled, integral gray stucco with mahogany windows) set into the side of the Santa Monica canyon and intersected by three, rotated towers (zinc clad with aluminum windows) with undulating, zinc-panel roofs. Living spaces flow to the southern yard creating a seamless indoor-outdoor experience accentuated by six 10-ft by 10-ft sliding glass and mahogany doors to patios, gardens and pool. Exterior access from every room.
Features intersecting two-story volumes, exposed-wood ceilings, glass catwalk, bent steel stairs, an eclectic variety of natural materials and kaleidoscope of finishes, steel troweled plaster, three wood-burning fireplaces, finished concrete hearths, countertops, sinks and bathtub, exposed steel & concrete, interior and exterior skylights, radiant heat, passive solar, natural ventilation and cooling, steel-troweled concrete & black bamboo floors, world class art, concrete wine wall, saline pool & spa with teak bridge, Koi pond with floating bridge, outdoor shower, bamboo gardens, & waterfalls.
Handcrafted, artistic elements: pivoting 450-pound teak entry door, shattered glass light ensemble, hand-sculpted black walnut stairs, operable windows inset in plate glass, bent stainless steel light ensemble, plate glass sink, and patina metal panels.
Secure, Gated Entry
- Glass & Metal Pivot Gate & Glass Awing
- Floating Teak & Stainless Steel Bridge
Pool & Spa
- 8-ft Waterfall
- Infinity Edge
- Teak & Stainless Steel Bridge
- Board-Formed Concrete Walls with Candle Niches
- Saltwater System
- Wood-Burning Fireplace
- Viking Stainless Steel Gas Barbeque
Landscaped Lounging Patio
- Outdoor Rain Shower in Bamboo Garden
- Floating Mangaris Bench
- Dominic Benhura “Swing Me Mama” Zimbabwe Statute
Hot & Cold Water Stainless Steel Hose Bib Boxes
Interior – Main Level
- Open Douglas Fir Beam & Exposed Sheeting Ceiling
- “Shattered' Glass Light Ensemble
- Board Formed Concrete Walls
Attached, Three-Car Garage with Roll-up Door
- Two-Story Volume with Perimeter Glass Catwalk
- Dual Stacked 10-Ft by 10-Ft Sliding Glass & Mahogany Doors create Lanai
- Vidikron Plasmaview 65” 1920 x 1080 Plasma Television on Articulating Arm
- Surround Sound System
- Mahogany Art Bench
- Hand Sculpted Black Walnut Stairs Room with Patina Metal Paneled Railing
- Two-Story Volume
- 24-Ft Floor-to-Ceiling Plate Glass Window with Embedded X-Brace
- Open Douglas Fir Beam & Exposed Sheeting Ceiling
- “Bent” – Stainless Steel Light Ensemble
- Floating Black Lacquer & Birdseye Maple Buffett
- Art Wall
- Open Design
- Perimeter Plate Glass Window with Operable Transoms Windows to Bamboo Garden
- 11-Ft, Open Douglas Fir Beam & Exposed Sheeting Ceiling
- Two 10-Ft x 10-Ft Sliding Glass & Mahogany Doors Open Kitchen to Dining Patio, Outdoor Fireplace, Pool and Waterfall
- Dual, Built-in Gaggenau Steam/Convection Ovens
- Stainless Steel Subzero Refrigerator & Freezer with Icemaker
- Espresso Bar with Yellow Finished-Concrete Counter and Floating Cherry
- Dual Miele Dishwashers
- Gaggenau Gas Cooktops
- Floating Cherry Bar
- LG Plasma Television on Articulating Arm
Service Porch with Trash & A/V Equipment Cabinet
- 584 Bottle Concrete Wine Wall
- Wenge Panel Wall & Cabinets with Built-in Television
- Board-Form Concrete Walls
- Open Shower with Floating Glass Wall & Rainwater Showerhead
- Floating Glass Sink
- Miele Front-Loading Stainless Steel Washer & Dryer
- Recycled Glass Counter
- Stainless Steel Backsplash
- Stainless Steel Sink with Swivel Faucet & Spray Attachment
- Sliding Opaque Glass Wall
Open Living Room
- 12-Ft Flat Ceilings
- Open to Two-Story Entry
- Sculptural Free Standing Wood-Burning Fireplace
Interior –Upper Level
Starfire Glass Engineered Catwalk
- Two 10-Ft by 10-Ft Sliding Glass & Mahogany Door with Exterior Louvers
- Interior-to-Exterior Skylight
- Free Standing Lupi Tub
- Quadruple, Backlit, Sliding Closet Doors
- Mahogany Walk-in Closet
-- Center “Boxes” Island
-- Leather Tops
- Open Douglas Fir Beam & Exposed Sheeting Ceiling
- Wood-Burning Fireplace
- Access to Rear Terrace
- Balcony overlooking Pool & Spa
- Heated Concrete Tub
- Built-in Television
- Steam Shower
- L-Shaped Finished Concrete Floating Vanity with Integral Ramp Sinks
- Duravit Hanging Toilet
- Heated Towel Rack
Interior – Crow’s Nest
Bedroom / Office Suite
- Large Deck with Stairs to Terrace Garden
- Shower with Starfire Glass Door and Finished-Concrete Bench Seat
Interior – 3rd Floor
Oak Tree Guest Bedroom Suite
- Cantilevered Balcony with Overhead Flying Roof & Recessed Lighting
- Walk-in Mahogany Closet with Leather Counter & Guest Drawers
- Floating Wenge Vanity with
-- Finished Concrete Counter & Ramp Sink
- Shower with Full-Height Starfire Glass Door
Unique Features / Appointments Throughout
- Mahogany Wood Details
- Distinctive Ceilings
- High Volumes
- Bent Galvanized Steel Stairs
- Galvanized Steel Catwalk with Glass Panels
- Abundance of Natural Light
- Black Bamboo or Finished-Concrete Floors
- Mahogany Doors & Windows
- Radiant Heat
- Museum Quality
- Floating Patina Metal Base
- Plaster Walls with Venetian Plaster Accent Walls
- Lutron Silent Shades
- Art Hanging System
- Custom-Designed Furniture
Keywords: Santa Monica Canyon, Beach, Architecture, Pool, Spa, High Quality
Rob Hussey is the founder and lead designer of Hussey Design Build Group. As a designer, builder and real estate developer, Rob has completed over 300 homes and various residential and commercial renovations.
The Owner purchased this house in 2010
I choose to build this unique home in the Santa Monica Canyon for its tranquil lifestyle and unique, eclectic collection of architectural homes.
The Santa Monica Canyon is the epitome of the California lifestyle: refined, relaxed, eclectic, interesting, tranquil. This home is an architectural experience. Perfect for family reunions, vacations, romantic getaways, and or short-term executive housing.
The house is a knockout - very beautiful. we had 4 adult kids (family of 6) and the house was a perfect setting for us. The owner is as helpful and accommodating as anyone could ask. and, he is close by. That said, the house is all form, no substance. The lights dont work reliably, the TV was crap in the living room, you cant get out of the front door (God knows what would happen in an emergency) and there is no light in the garage nor is there a fixed way to open the garage without the door opener. IF what you like is style over subtance, this is the place for you. the location is indeed to die for. But if u want a house that functions or is safe, move on. Worry not, i cant imagine the house will ever sell so it should be on the market for a long time to come. Also, be careful about your security deposit; ours evaporated over some wierd circumstances. Enjoy at your risk.
My friends and I had the BEST time possible at Robert's AMAZING house!! Everything about it was great!! We had an important event at the house and to say that it was an impressive and perfect setting would be an understatement!! The house is brilliant for entertaining and has a great and warm welcoming feel to it. We all really felt at home and didn't want to leave. The pool and hot tub are a really great bonus that really add to the whole experience of staying there. All of our guests were blown away, including a very successful businessman who is big into construction, architecture and design....he kept walking around admiring and pointing out the wonderful attention to detail that Rob has included throughout the house. I learnt alot about building and design from his comments as we walked through the house together. I could go on further with singing the praises of the house but suffice to say that the photos don't do it any justice and I would recommend anyone to stay there cos you absolutely will not regret it. Rob is the perfect and very helpful and considerate owner........so all round it was a brilliant experience.
A fantastic, true designer house. The building itself is as beautiful as the pictures show, and the location was even more beautiful; a quiet retreat within walking distance of the beach of Santa Monica. The house, pool and garden were very well maintained. The owner was extremely helpful and available when needed.
We recommend this house to anybody interested in design/nice family holiday (perhaps less with small kids!)
My family and I stayed at Rob's wonderful, amazing house for the month of July 2011 and everyone ranging from our 6 year old twins to my 70 year old mother just loved it!
First of all, to us it is the perfect vacation house - open and spacious with 4 full bedrooms; multiple living room/den areas; amazing indoor/outdoor living spaces with built-in outdoor gas grill and dining table/chairs; big, modern, well-equipped kitchen; great heated pool and Jacuzzi which we used almost daily; steam in the master bath......and fully and tastefully furnished.
And it helps that architecturally the house is simply amazing to experience. It completely changed my misconception that a house that modern would be "cold and uncomfortable" to live it. It turned out to be just the opposite. It is "warm" and filled with light and great space for fun and play for the whole family.
The location is great - 5 minute down the hill to the Santa Monica beach; within 10 minutes to many of the top rated restaurants in Zagat's; 10 minutes to 3rd Street Promenade and the Santa Monica Pier.......yet it is nestled in a quiet, hilly neighborhood that felt very serene and safe.
And to top it off, Rob is simply the nicest and most helpful owner one can hope to work with. In fact, we became friends and have stayed in touch since our stay. We would certainly return next summer if the house is available, so if it weren't for the fact I feel I owe it to Rob to write a proper review, I should be trying to keep this house a secret.....Enjoy it!
This house is stunning from every angle and functions beautifully too. I could have spent hours just gazing at the fabulous design features and enjoying the colors of the surfaces and furnishings; yet, it was as livable as it was aesthetically pleasing. It was perfect for a multi-family group. Open common areas and the indoor-outdoor flow made for great social spaces while the bedroom areas were oases of privacy and tranquility. The carefully planned kitchen worked well for one cook or many. While houses as art may not appear child friendly, our two nine-year olds completely enjoyed the place in their own way--exploring its many nooks and crannies, spying on the adults below from the glass catwalk, watching the koi pond, and playing in the pool and Jacuzzi. If the house had any drawback, it was that it took us some trial and error to figure out the complicated lighting—perhaps unavoidable for the wonderful effect. My personal favorite times were drinking morning coffee and evening wine around the dining table open to the outdoors pool area while the kids ran in and out. It was often hard to leave for the day’s activities.
The friendly and knowledgeable local owner can make excellent recommendations for activities and restaurants. We walked to nearby coffee shops; enjoyed rollerblading, people watching, swimming and eating on the Santa Monica beach; and even took a day-trip to Disneyland.
My boyfriend and I spent a romantic long weekend in this magnificent home. Every day we experienced something new...the light in this space is amazing and the architectural details are unique. Its unlike any other modern home we've seen. We enjoyed cooking breakfast in the large, open kitchen, relaxing in the Jacuzzi and taking long walks in the neighborhood. Its the perfect location for anyone looking to spend time in LA and have access to the beach. We'll be back!
Quiet, Tree Lined, Cul-de-sac Street, Adjacent to Riviera Country Club Golf Course, Walk to beach, Channel Road Restaurants & Galleries, Montana Avenue Shops & Boutiques, Third Street Promenade Restaurants, Shops & Theaters, Easy Freeway Access via Pacific Coast Highway, Close to Brentwood, Beverly Hills, Venice, Malibu
Property includes beach cruisers.
Neighborhood has 24-Hour Security Patrol
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event Price|
23 Dec 2016 - 2 Jan 2017
4 night minimum stay
for 4 nights
My Standard Rate
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£11,803|
14% Transient Occupancy Tax
$350 Exit Cleaning Fee
* Approximate monthly price. Actual pricing will depend on the days of the month you stay.