Il Conventaccio –“Little Convent”, is built on the foundations of a 1st Century B.C. Roman watch tower overlooking the Tiber Valley. In 1020, the tower was incorporated into a small convent. The restored stone house, about 5,000 sq.ft., sits on approximately 30 acres of olive orchards, sunflower fields, and a vineyard. The ancient and sophisticated walled Etruscan town of Todi is the panorama from Conventaccio’s extensive terraces. The building was restored with close attention to historical authenticity. All building materials were either reclaimed and/or hand made, the extraordinary cornice was hand carved to match a small remaining piece. With the exception of the living room, all chestnut ceiling beams are original to the house. The walls were painted with natural regional pigments, ground and mixed by the artist on site. The carved stone mantels are 14th century. Umbrian and Tuscan antiques are notable, especially the painted corner cabinet in the living room, a Renaissance piece, and the 17th C. refectory table in the dining room. Three sitting rooms. All bedrooms have en-suite modern baths, and thermostats. 3 bedrooms have fire places. All windows have screens. Sophisticated security system; electronic entry gates. On property is a restored 15th C. cistern. In summer, vegetable, herb, and cutting gardens are available to guests. Property includes oilve orchards, vineyard, fig, walnut and fruit trees. Formal gardens planted with hundreds of roses, varieties of Lavender, boxwood.
Three-level landscaped terraces with fountain and sensational views. Shaded pergola for outdoor dining; another for reading, cocktails, conversation. Copious teak outdoor furniture and umbrellas for al fresco living.
Keywords: Luxuriously Restored 12th.C. Small Convent