|Minimum Stay||2 nights|
Rancho Loco is perfect for your desert hideaway home away from home. Come rain or shine, Rancho Loco has something beautiful to offer. When it's sunny, drinks by the pool, quiet time on the veranda with a book, watching the sun rise or set and enjoying some good barbecue with friends and family. When it's stormy – get cozy on the couch with a fire crackling away, a home cooked meal with a glass of wine while you watch the clouds roll in over the dramatic landscape, framed by the huge picture windows. Rancho Loco also affords extra privacy with separate living quarters, the cozy & bright main house and the open & airy studio.
Located on its own secluded 20 acres, minutes from Joshua Tree National Park, Rancho Loco offers 360º views with over 50 Joshua trees, yuccas and native desert foliage all on the property. Situated between the two houses is a salt water swimming pool with an observation deck, perfect for sunset viewing, outdoor dining, and maybe even a skinny dip under the stars. Rancho Loco is a rustic modern take of a 1920s ranch house updated to today's standards including solar power as its primary source of energy and water drawn from a private on-site well!
Rancho Loco is a great affordable base no matter what your interests are – rock-climbing, hiking, mountain biking, horseback riding, model rocket launching [our fave], novel writing or just relaxing by the pool. So please do not hesitate to contact us if you want to get away and visit this magical California vacation home location.
We, Karen and Marcus, have lived in Los Angeles since 1990 and take great joy and pride in making things better.
Marcus Wright purchased this house in 2001
We purchased this property after many years of traveling to Joshua Tree as a get-away. It became our home away from home with the space, privacy and solitude that was hard to come by in Los Angeles. The idea of a two hour car drive putting you in a different world creates an invaluable peace of mind.
More than just a base for exploring Joshua Tree National Park and the surrounding area, Rancho Loco is a self-contained resort. It provides all the comforts of home in a spectacular setting. Unlike many vacation homes in Joshua Tree, Rancho Loco provides a year round experience due to the salt water pool, which provides the remarkable sensation of cool blue water beneath the hot summer sun and the limitless night skies.
The house is really great and the pool is an awesome centerpiece. The description is right that you can't swim in early March but it's still really fun. There's plenty of room to spread out and enjoy.
Our family rented this place between Christmas and New Year's and really loved it. The house is nice and bright and comfortable, and the kids loved rambling around in the desert finding treasures. The house had everything we needed, from kitchen amenities to Netflix. We weren't able to use the pool because it was too cold but we might rent again to enjoy it in the heat. The other effect of the cold was that the second house was a bit chilly at night and my poor camping skills meant the fire I built didn't really help much. It wasn't so cold that we didn't sleep soundly in the comfortable beds, though! Definitely recommend this place.
20 Acre Retreat is a true gem. A little off the beaten path but still close to good amenities. The property is tastefully put together, with lots of natural light, and space to enjoy the beautiful landscape of the area. Clean and well maintained and thoughtfully furnished and decorated. We loved hanging out and barbecuing around the pool and exploring the area. Highly recommend this property.
We had a nice stay at Rancho Loco – property #242104. We were a group of eight (very considerate and responsible) friends staying for three nights to celebrate a 40th birthday. I was initially not going to leave a review based on the “if you don’t have something nice to say” philosophy…but the host inexplicably gave us a one-star review after we treated the house well, including cleaning before we left. So now I feel compelled to let other guests know what to expect from the house and the host.
• Nice house and studio in Joshua Tree with six beds and two couches
• Everything you need for cooking in the kitchen
• Comfortable beds and nice linens
• Location very remote (dirt roads) – don’t plan on having a night out with drinks at a bar or restaurant – there is nothing that is not more than a 15 minute drive away
• Check-in at 4pm and check-out at 10 am, so you lose the first day and have to rush out the last day (host did make exception and let us arrive at 2pm upon request, but said cleaning crew arrived at 11am the day of check-out)
• Pool is unheated and so cold that you can barely put your feet in (seriously, ice cold) – perhaps it is bearable at high noon in the middle of summer…texted host about whether there was a way to turn the heat on – no response. So we could not swim.
• Grill was filthy with three empty gas tanks – called host, who was very dismissive, and was told to buy a new tank at Home Depot – could not use the grill the first of our three-night stay (we had not planned on a stove-based dinner for eight...)
• Water pressure is extremely low – shower in the studio not more than a trickle
• Low flush toilet in the main house that clogged with no way to unclog it – this is a house that advertises for up to eight people…seems like a foreseeable problem
• Wood-burning stove unusable – we didn’t need it, but don’t expect to use it
• Host gave us a one star review even though we followed the lengthy “house rules” – which were only provided as a PDF after we had paid in full. This will make it difficult for me to rent from anyone else using Home Away.
In short, we had a great time visiting with old friends in beautiful Joshua Tree. But the house, while nice, has some issues. And it seems like the host should be in a different business…
Year round Joshua Tree activities and festivals, Big Bear is an hour away for skiing and lake activities, Palm Springs and Palm Desert communities, airport, shopping, and aerial tram within one hour drive, Las Vegas is just under 4 hours away for gambling and whatever else floats your boat, Los Angeles is just over a two hour drive.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
My Standard Rate
2 night minimum stay
for 2 nights
|Notes: Rates are based on 4 guests; add £8 per night, per additional guest|
Pet cleaning fees are $10 per pet per night.
Additional fees apply for parties over 4 people. $10 per person per night.
3 night minimum stay on Holiday Weekends
3 night minimum on Holiday Weekends
Check in is at 4pm. Check out is at 10am.
Pool is not heated. Best swim times are from Memorial Day thru September.