Seal Cottage is located in a most exclusive part of the Beara peninsula, Waterfall, Castletownbere, West Cork which has a long history. It overlooks a private beach and has spectacular sea views.
On the eastern side of Seal Cottage lies Waterfall House. It was the official residence of the Royal Naval commodore of the Western Approaches squadron, anchored in Berehaven. It was purchased a number of years back by the film director Neil Jordan who spends much of his free time there.
Beside Seal Cottage lies the Hermitage, built just after the Second World War. It was built on the site of a farmstead - Curryglass House, dating back to about 1800. Erskine Hamilton Childers, President of the Irish Republic and son of the IRA man Robert Erskine Childers, stayed in the house periodically with the owners his friends.
Seal Cottage accommodation comprises approx 3,500 sq.ft. briefly:
- entrance hallway
- large utility room with Miele washing machine, dryer, large freezer and storage for household goods. There is an entrance to garage off the utility room.
- Large double bedroom downstairs with walk-in wardrobe and large en-suite with shower, toilet, wash basin and Jacuzzi bath overlooking the lawn and sea. There are also patio doors opening on to a private patio area from the bedroom.
- luxury living room
- fully equipped kitchen
- dining area overlooking the sea and Bere Island
- large conservatory with a range of tropical trees such as banana trees etc.
- upstairs there are two double bedrooms each with en-suite bathrooms
- there is also a very large 'spare' room upstairs which can be used as a visitor room, office, study etc
- there is zoned electric under floor heating in all downstairs areas.
There is a Bose surround sound system which also has the option of being switched on in the conservatory area.
- There is a solar heated swimming pool in the garden which is available for use from 01-Apr to end-Sep depending on weather and a traditional Scandinavian sauna in the woods.
- There is private access to the beach down steps at the eastern side of the site.
- There is a private mooring for a boat.
- the entire site is wooded with a natural walkway through it.
- There is also a stream flowing through part of the woodland which had been used to create a miniature lake.