|Minimum Stay||4 - 7 nights|
Your booking will be backed by our Book with Confidence Guarantee when you complete your reservation online and finalise payment on HomeAway.Learn more
The CASA COLONCA, a spacious, independent apartment on two floors in a traditional Tuscan with private entrances and garden areas [sleeps 4 to 5]. Available for short lets or sabbatical stays. Ideally located for tourism of all types. Thick walls ensure cool summers, Fans provided for your convenience. Allergy-sensitive furnishings and appointments. For more pictures and information on the region, see featured website link.
The CASA COLONICA has been renovated with modern conveniences (such as WI-FI internet). Luxury details in every room: beamed ceilings, antique and traditional furniture, original prints. The Casa Colonica offers charm, comfort and convenience.
- UPSTAIRS there are two comfortable bedrooms with beamed ceilings, antique wardrobes, writing tables and large windows with stunning views onto the gardens and surrounding countryside. The huge bathroom (also with beamed ceiling) features a tub/shower, a window onto the garden... and enough floor space for morning yoga exercises!
- DOWNSTAIRS are the daytime living quarters with two arched doors on either side and windows giving out onto the garden. The sitting room has two daybeds, a SAT-TV+DVD, a lending library with recreational reading, guidebooks and cookbooks. Flooded with afternoon sunlight, this room is a perfect place to curl up and plan your day trips, read, or enjoy an glass of wine. The downstairs also features a well-equipped 'taverna' kitchen to make espresso for breakfast, and practice your Tuscan cooking skills. You will enjoy the traditional Tuscan chestnut cabinets, large tables to spread out food and maps, and lots of seating (6-8 each table)
- FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE you will also find a microwave, dishwasher and clothes washing machine. There are drying racks for fresh-air drying, and an iron & ironing board.
- ALL ROOMS have large windows with views. The house has 60 cm thick walls, which means it is delightfully cool in summer, but for extra comfort on hot summer nights there are fans in every room. All bedroom and bath windows have screens. Banister and child gate on stairs.
Outside is an extended, rustic garden area with a panoramic view over the rolling hills and vineyards of the Valdarno. Both sunny and shady areas. Do not miss the deer that graze in the fields at twilight, sometimes often on the garden bushes!. The garden features large terracotta pots of flowers (in bloom according to season), a table with chairs for dining al fresco, and lounge chairs to watch the sunset with a glass of wine. From Il Poggiolo you can see the Valdarno valley, the Appennine mountains, the Sienese hills, and on a good day, all the way to Vallombrosa.
- PRIVATE PARKING on the property.
Guests appreciate the fact that Il Poggiolo is located in the tranquility of the countryside but conveniently close to Florence, Siena, and Arezzo (30-45 minutes drive), as well at to the other major points of interest in central Italy. While a car is necessary for your stay, the center of Florence can be reached by train from Montevarchi (free long-term parking) in just 35 minutes, as can a number of other destinations such as Pisa, Assisi, Cortona, Orvieto, etc. Nearby are historic sites (medieval and Renaissance towns, towers and castles). There are also picturesque villages, national parks, thermal baths and, a bit farther, seaside beaches. Swimming nearby in a number of local pools (10-15 minutes drive - pool/beach towels provided). Excellent wine and fine restaurants in the area, as well as informal village trattorias and pizzerias. Numerous designer outlets in the area for clothes, shoes, household items, etc. Fabulous local food markets. Perfect for day trips to all the historic attractions of Tuscany, for sports enthusiasts and gastronomic tourism, for family vacations, or just to get away from it all.
NO PETS & NO SMOKING (inside) please - allergy controlled environment.
Convenient location for tourism and good train service.
Charming, comfortable and spacious accommodation with luxury appointments, fine antiques.
Gardens (furnished for all tastes) with lovely views.
Country walks and trekking (from gentle sloping dirt roads through vineyards to serious mountain trails through forests)
Local markets for local produce (especially vegetables and fruit, wine and olive oil).
Marvelous eating - from pizza parlours to five-star restaurants.
Major designer outlets and malls.
Private parking area on the property.
WI-FI, SatTV, DVD
Recreational reading library and guide books, maps.
KEYWORDS: Tuscany, Villa rental, Tuscan tourism, Short Lets, Sabbatical stays, gastronomy, slow food region, luxury appointments, holiday home, vacation in Italy, furnished gardens, panoramic views, allergy-sensitive.
In 1994 Allen and I bought the property we had been renting for over 10 years. The reasons why we ended up in Tuscany - on a hilltop in the Valdarno - are totally serendipitous, and entirely too long to go into here. But we did it, and lived in happy nonchalance, raising our daughter and commuting to work in Florence until the economic crunch began to make itself felt. In 2005 we had the belated realization that this property had better help maintain itself, otherwise we would find it very difficult to keep up the land and buildings after we retired. I keep buying lottery tickets with blind faith, but in the meantime we bit the bullet, hocked our souls to the Montevarchi bank, and decided to carry out a dream: to restore and convert the villa’s barn into a rental cottage, and renovate the part of the villa once occupied by Allen's mother. The idea was that holiday rentals would help with the mortgage, garden maintenance, and miscellaneous upkeep until – when we are well into our dotage – we downsize and move into the converted barn ourselves. Read the first installment of the saga about this renovation process on the 'Wandering Educators' site (under 'Barn conversion').
Sara Matthews-Grieco purchased this villa in 1994
Tuscany is not only a tourist mecca, but the climate is better than Paris and London (where we had been living before), and Florence is within an easy commute, so it is possible to live in the countryside and work in the city. The people in the area are wonderful. In fact, the Tuscans are the main reason why my husband and I opted to stay in Italy, to buy the family villa and make a life here. When Allen's mother moved to the Italian Riviera, the dowager apartments in the 'Casa Colonica' were used on and off by friends and family until we decided to restore them for vacation rental. So far we have been very fortunate with having marvellous guests. We are grateful to Home Away/VRBO for having been such good intermediaries for Il Poggiolo!
N° 4 TRAVEL BENEFITS .....
1. PERFECT LOCATION: Il Poggiolo is within easy reach of the major Tuscan sites of interest, ideal for day trips. At the same time you have the calm of the countryside and vibrant sunsets over the Chianti hills. For both gastronomy and shopping, the Valdarno offers excellent wineries and restaurants as well as a number of designer outlets (the Prada outlet 'SPACE' is a 5 minute drive from Il Poggiolo).
2. LUXURY OF SPACE : The Casa Colonica has the advantage of spacious quarters and far many more rooms than are usual with vacation rentals. This can make all the difference when travelling with a group of friends or family, and the garden also offers the possibility of sunning in lounge chairs, reading in the shade of the evergreen oak , or dining al fresco.
3. OUTFITTED LIKE A REAL HOME: The Casa Colonica offers you all the advantages of a home, with all the conveniences and more beside. There is free parking on site (but you do not need to look at your car - only the view!), the gardens are comfortably furnished, inside there is a flatscreen SAT-TV, DVD player, and fast WI-FI. Bedrooms have extra pillows, and cozy blankets and quilts for cool nights. If anything is missing, please let us know !!
4. EXPERIENCE of LOCAL HOSTS: You have someone next-door who can give advice about restaurants and places to see that are off the usual tourist itinerary. You will not see your hosts unless you need them, but having someone on hand to help with the details of a stay or an emergency can be a blessing.
5 of 5 stars -Reviewed on Trip Advisor October 14, 2014
Il poggiolo is a wonderful old italian villa situated on a hill-top over-looking the Arno valley and surrounding hills with scattered vineyards and olive groves.My daughter and I stayed there for a week, and one of our most enjoyable experiences was sitting in the garden at any time of day basking in the surrounding beauty and quietude.The rooms were spacious, with high ceilings,comfortable chairs and couches, and large,sturdy tables.On our arrival,our hostess Sara had provided a welcome basket containing pasta,fruit,and other snacks,as well as bouquets of beautiful fresh-cut flowers.There are 2 large bed-rooms on the 2nd floor,beautifully furnished and the beds equipped with smooth,extremely comfortable mattresses.The kitchen was well-stocked with utensils,utilities and ample counter-space,and was a pleasure to work in.Sara is warm,welcoming,friendly and extremely knowledgeable about Tuscany and has made numerous folders of suggested trips,places to visit, best routes to get there and good places to dine.I recommend Il Poggiolo most highly and plan to stay there on future visits to Tuscany.
My wife I enjoyed 5 glorious nights in the heart of Tuscany in August 2015. Some highlights for us:
1. The tomatoes, grapes, apples, peaches and pears were all in peak season
2. We were about an hour away from everywhere we wanted to go (Siena, Florence) but on a couple of the days we didn't go anywhere - we just wanted to be quiet and relaxed
3. We ran all through the countryside on dirt roads, up to a tower, through vineyards, it was nothing short of magical
4. Sara and Allen were welcoming and incredible: a stocked kitchen awaited us, linens that smelled like they had been dried in a summer breeze, the house spotless
5. There was a great community library that we took advantage of in the house and a bunch of board games too
6. The local grocery store was huge and had fantastic selections so we didn't eat out except for once during our 6 days - we chose to go "home" and eat there
It was everything we hoped that Tuscany would be. Added bonus: even though it was high 30's outside the house stayed cool and breeze without air conditioning.
Nous avons beaucoup apprécié l’accueil et le grand sens de l’hospitalité de Sara et Allan. Ce sont des hôtes disponibles et avec plein de petites attentions (beau panier d’accueil, invitation à un 5 à 7 à leur domicile et à se joindre à une fête de village). Nous avons trouvé fort intéressant d’échanger avec eux. Ils ont su nous faire partager leur passion de l’histoire et de la culture italienne.
La Casa Colonica , où nous avons séjourné, est une vielle maison de campagne qui a été restaurée. Elle est spacieuse, bien entretenue et très confortable. La cuisine est particulièrement bien équipée. Elle est située entre les montagnes des Apennins et celles du Chianti. Le paysage extérieur est enchanteur. Les couchers de soleil sont superbes. En dépit de l’absence de climatisation, la maison reste fraîche l’été en raison de ses murs de pierres et du vent provenant des montagnes. Elle est située à proximité des régions de Sienne, Florence, Arezzo, Chianti... Toutefois, il faut savoir que les routes sinueuses rendent les temps de déplacement plus long notamment en suivant les indications des GPS. La gare de Montevarchi est une alternative intéressante et à proximité pour accéder aux principales villes. Aucun doute que les amateurs de la campagne Toscane y trouveront un lieu merveilleux de vacances.
This was our second stay at Il Poggiolo and it felt like coming home. The villa was perfect, Sara and Allen are friendly and helpful and the location is an easy ride to major tourist destinations. It also allows you to visit the small and charming Tuscan hill towns that are less well known. It is the perfect place to relax and enjoy the Tuscan lifestyle. We look forward to our next visit.
I booked this villa 8 mos prior to our trip and had been in contact w/the owner numerous times. Sara was so very helpful before the trip and during the trip in regards to travel, distance, restaurants, town, etc. Upon arriving, Il Poggiolo was more than we could have expected. It was private, landscaped nicely w/a hammock that one could relax in while taking in the views. The views, WOW - we live in the mountains; but this was panoramic views of the mountains, vineyards, olive groves, a villa in the distance. This was a WONDERFUL experience and Sara helped to make it so. Thanks again, Sara!!
We just returned from a two-week stay at Il Poggiolo and it was perfect in every way! The owners welcomed us with a lovely basket of local products. The entire house was spotless and everything we could possibly need for cooking, relaxing, and enjoying our stay was provided. The rooms are spacious and furnished in an authentic Tuscan style. The location of the house is convenient to the Autostrada (but don't worry- you won't know you're anywhere near it!) We easily travelled to all the highlights of the region including Siena, Florence, Orvieto, San Gimignano, Arezzo, and Volterra. The views were breathtaking from our outdoor benches -- the sunset is spectacular. Best of all Sara and Alan were so helpful as we planned each day, giving us suggestions and information based on their years of experience in the region. We could not have asked for better hosts or a more perfect place to stay.
Casa Colonica is a warm, inviting setting on a little hill with easy access to tiny villages and historic art centers. It is spacious, has gorgeous views, and fascinating details within the house. Sara provided all the information necessary to locate it, and was completely accommodating when we needed some assistance or guidance. Since we "brought rain" during our stay we could not always enjoy the wonderful sitting areas outside - there are lawn chairs, benches, a table and umbrella for shade. The house has beautiful, large windows, and the kitchen is completely equipped for cooking all that fresh market produce found in the co-ops and markets. Sara also thoughtfully provided a large basket full of food items for that first night, morning breakfast and later snacking. It was hard to leave, especially after nearly 2 weeks where we really felt "at home".
A scenic rural retreat in a central area of Tuscany surrounded by vineyards and olive groves with easy access to numerous sites of interest, from Medieval & Renaissance towns (Florence, Siena, Arezzo) to charming local castles, monasteries and hamlets. There are numerous markets with local produce & fine wines, oulet shopping nearby. Many privately managed & municipal pools in area. Thermal Spas 30-45 min. drive. Easy country walks at your doorstep, serious trekking trails in nearby hills. Designer outlets in the area (VAT tax rebates for non EU citizens). Cooking classes, painting lessons, bike rental and winery tours are some of the favorite activities after cultural tourism. There is something to do for visitors of all ages and interests, and in the morning and evening you will see the roebuck deer in the fields around the house.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
15 Apr 2016 - 22 Oct 2016
4 night minimum stay
for 4 nights
|Notes: Rates are based on 4 guests; add £21 per night, per additional guest|
My Standard Rate
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
|Notes: Rates are based on 4 guests; add £21 per night, per additional guest|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£171|
Municipal Visitor Tax (Comune di Bucine) of €1.50/adult/night for first 4 nights (=total €6/adult) payable on arrival.
DISCOUNTS: Casa Colonica for two guests only: 10% discount. Take both the Casa Colonica and the Fienile Villa Cottage simultaneously for a family reunion or a group of friends (= 5 bedrooms 3 baths) : 5% discount !!
01 Nov .through 15 April : GPL heating charged at cost (individual meter) = c.€4.00 per cubic mt.