Maison Margalide lies in a pretty and tranquil valley close to the river Gers. It still retains many of the features typical of the Pyrenean farms of the 19th century.
Lannemezan is the local market town, only five minutes by car and is the main supply town for the numerous villages scattered around the foot of the mountains. There are several supermarkets, bread shops, restaurants, bars, banks and a market, which is held every Wednesday as well regular festivals during the summer period.
The secret region known as the Barronnies lies only ten minutes from the house; a beautiful unspoilt area that still retains its old traditional methods of farming. There are plenty of walks and magnificent views as well as restaurants and bars; an astonishing place to spend a day or two of your holiday. The benefits of staying at Margalide is its location. The Valley D’ Aure towards St Lary has some wonderful walks all listed in our guide book. St Lary is one of the main winter ski resorts in the Pyrenees and in summer all extreme sports can be booked from here such as parapenting and canyoning. Before arriving at St Lary, one passes the pretty town of Arreau, which is listed as one of Frances beautiful villages. From here one can explore the big Tour de France mountains Aspin and Tourmelet and Peragudes into the town of Luchon. There is also easy access to all the major routes via the motorway or national roads to places such as Pau, Biarritz, San Sebastian to the West and Carcassone, Toulouse and Sete to the East. We also recommend a trip into Spain to the Ordessa National park and the medieval town of Ainsa for example.
Margalide is an excellent base to explore the central Pyrenees and we have a very useful guide book which includes many of our favourite walks in the high mountains and foothills, at any time of year. I think the benefit of staying at Marglide is its location close to the motorway and all the valley routes. Not stuck in on remote village. A bussling local town giving you a chance to get a taste of the whole region in one holiday.
Accommodation Comprises :
• Living room with Wood burner Dining table and Chairs and two sofas. CD/tape player French TV/BBC, ITV and some sky channels.
• Well equipped fitted kitchen with split level oven, washing machine.
• Downstairs bathroom with shower, sink and WC
• Living room leads out onto covered south facing terrace with mature gardens, table chairs and barbecue and through flowing stream.
• Good sized bedroom with double bed /walk in wardrobe
• Second good sized bedroom with double bed and single bed if required.
• Small Bunk room with two small bunk beds
• Bathroom with Bath sink and WC/Electric heater
All electricity gas and water is provided in the price of the rental. We also have a cot and high chair if required as well as 2 road bikes and 2 mountain bikes. Please ask before if you wish to hire bikes.