Walker’s Neuk is an immaculately presented, ground floor cottage apartment situated in the charming fishing village of Anstruther. Renovated to a very good standard and thoughtfully furnished for comfort and ease, it creates a wonderful atmosphere for a relaxing holiday. This is just the ticket for exploring the cobbled streets, little alleyways and working fishing harbour, where you can watch the fishermen land their catch. Award-winning fish and chip shops, restaurants, cafés, bars, local shops and galleries are all within a few minutes’ walk, or take a boat trip to the Isle of May and visit the world-renowned bird sanctuary and nature reserve, famous for puffins, grey seals and other wildlife. Enjoy leisurely walks along the Fife Coastal Path, which runs through the village, and visit historic castles, pretty fishing villages and many beautiful beaches and coves. The area is famous for golf courses, with a challenging 9-hole course along the shore and many links courses in the surrounding areas. The sunny back garden is set over two levels and is shared with the upper apartment. It is the perfect place from which to relax after a day exploring the area. From the upper level garden you can enjoy beautiful sea views of the Bass Rock and over the Firth of Forth towards North Berwick, or on cooler days, curl up in front of the wood-burning stove with a glass of wine.The land at East Green in Anstruther was originally common ground, but in 1221 the Balmerino Monks were granted the right to pasture four cows and one horse. The monks businesses grew and small workshops were soon built to facilitate this. Walker’s Neuk was built in front of the site of their workshops in the 18th century, and workshop chimneys still jut out from one of the walls in the secluded gardens. Walker’s Neuk used to house the local blacksmith, whose brass founding facilities were kept busy making horseshoes for the horses that were working just along the road at the old gasworks. The upper apartment still has the iron bar on display where the forge door used to hang. Across the road is the birthplace of Andrew Waid, a local benefactor whose legacy is the foundation of the local secondary school in 1886. During the 1730s and 1780s the British Government received grants to set up whaling ports, some of this money came to Anstruther and in a land between Waid’s home and Hadfoot Wynd, a boiling house was erected. Two whalers called ’The Rising Star’ and ’Hawk’ worked for the company. Unfortunately, Anstruther could not compete with the other two main whaling ports on the east coast of Scotland, and the company dissolved leaving behind the legacy of Whale Close. The site of the boiling houses is now home to The Fisheries Museum. St Andrews is 9 miles away, and Edinburgh, Stirling, Perth and Gleneagles are all within an hour’s drive. Beach 200 yards. Shop and pub 200 yards, Michelin star rated restaurant 100 yards.
Property # 1866824