La Colonica is a completely private house in the large grounds of an old and very beautiful ex-farmhouse in the Cortona area. It is the perfect base to visit Florence, Siena, Chianti, and the hill and wine towns of Tuscany and nearby Umbria like Assisi and Perugia; itineraries provided. A/C and free WiFi in all rooms. It is ideal for 4 persons (5 with infant). Lovely setting in gardens and olive grove. 2 large bedrooms with en-suite marble bathrooms and A/C. One bedroom has king-size four-poster bed. The other bedroom can either be king-size or 2 singles. Large living room; open wood-burning fireplace. Dining room; Kitchen. Panoramic dining patio. The house is totally self-contained and private; not overlooked. Beamed ceilings and terracotta floors. Very well furnished and fully equipped. Dishwasher and washer. free wifi; SAT TV; DVD; CD. Parking in grounds. Swimming pools and thermal spas nearby. Maid service possible. Excellent good value local restaurants. 3-5 minutes walk to nearby pretty village. • FREE GPS, Italian cellphone. • Welcome amenities include our own organic olive oil, fruit and flowers and local wine. • Rental rates are all-inclusive: utilities, A/C, Wi-Fi, linen, baby crib/cot and high chair, final cleaning, taxes. FROM MARCH TO END OCTOBER, RENTALS MUST BEGIN AND END SATURDAY. A CAR IS ESSENTIAL.
The house is located in a pretty village in the heart of the Val di Chiana countryside. The house is surrounded by large (2.5 acres) gardens and olive grove with views of the surrounding hills. Because of its strategic location, it is the perfect base to explore Southern Tuscany and Umbria or for a relaxing holiday in comfortable and elegant surroundings. See Cortona, Florence, Siena, Perugia, Assisi, the Chianti region and Rome. Explore the unique towns of Pienza and San Gimignano, or Lake Trasimeno. Visit Montepulciano, Montalcino (Brunello wine) and the Chianti region and enjoy their famous wines. Visit the monasteries of Monte Oliveto Maggiore and Sant'Antimo (where the English Patient was filmed). Or simply relax and enjoy your private garden!
Discounts for stays of 2 weeks or more depending on the season.
• FREE baby crib/cot, child bed and high chair: no charge. Experienced baby-sitter available.
• Swimming Pools - Thermal Spas: There are numerous very nice reasonably priced swimming pools in the area, all within a short drive. All towns have one. The nicest are Camucia (near Cortona), Trequanda (magnificent setting), and Castiglion Fiorentino. Foiano is rarely crowded. Badicorte is very popular with children as it has numerous slides etc. Three famous thermal spas are nearby: Rapolano Terme has two spas, and there is a wonderful outdoor thermal pool with stunning view at Bagno Vignoni (40 minutes drive through some of the most beautiful countryside in Tuscany).
• Local events and open-air markets: Local Open-Air Markets (mornings): Monday: Foiano; Tuesday: Sinalunga; Wednesday: Monte San Savino, Castiglione del Lago; Thursday: Camucia, near Cortona (the largest and the best!), Lucignano; Friday: Castiglion Fiorentino; Saturday: Cortona, Arezzo.
• The famous horse-race in Siena, the Palio, is held on 2 July and 16 August. Each village and town has local feasts: please ask us for details. The biggest are in Cortona end July/early August. Lucignano has a May festival in the last two weeks of May. Each town/village often has open-air concerts and other musical events. Cortona has open-air operas and concerts, and there is a music festival in Monte San Savino. Cortona has several historic processions. Jousting competitions on horseback in Arezzo, Castiglion Fiorentino and Montalcino!
• The huge open-air antiques fair in Arezzo takes place on the first Sunday of the month. Cortona, Arezzo and Monte San Savino have numerous antique shops.
Places to see: All are within one hour's drive. We can provide detailed itineraries and advice where to eat etc.
• FLORENCE. Leave your car at the small local train station and take the train to Florence, leaving and returning every hour; 1 hour’s journey. Avoid the traffic problems in Florence!
• SIENA is about 40 minutes away by car, driving through magical country side. Easy parking. Siena has the famous horse-race, Il Palio, and is perfectly preserved. From Siena visit SAN GIMIGNANO and the CHIANTI region.
• CORTONA AND LAKE TRASIMENO. Cortona is a jewel!
• LUCIGNANO: Best kept secret in Tuscany! Spectacular medieval village.
• MONTE SAN SAVINO: small market town with Loggiato in the main street and marvellous garden and amphitheatre. Nearby is the Castle of Gargonza.
• MONTEPULCIANO AND PIENZA. ABBEY OF MONTE OLIVETO. MONTALCINO: home of Brunello wine. AREZZO, PERUGIA, ASSISI. And much much more!
• Wonderful walks (we provide maps etc).
• If you are tired of sight-seeing, or simply want to relax ... your garden awaits!