This is quintessential Tuscany. Nestled in the rolling hills between Florence, Pisa and Siena, the 800 year old hilltop village of Castelfalfi sits in an 1100 hectares estate of charming, un-spoilt countryside. This is an enchanting, evocative and serene location offering hospitality, good cuisine, a prestigious golf course and a host of sporting and other activities, all surrounded by nature, centuries-old traditions, a timeless landscape and the best in Tuscan culture and relaxation. Recently lovingly restored, the ancient hamlet of Castalfalfi represents everything that is authentic Tuscany but with all the modern conveniences. And Florence, Siena and Lucca are each less than an hour’s drive away, Pisa some 40 minutes and the famous towers of San Gimignano only 25 minutes.
This 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom generously proportioned open plan apartment is situated on the 1st floor of Terrazza 1, Via Castello in the very centre of Castelfalfi with glorious un-spoilt views of the surrounding countryside. The accommodation is presented over two floors with an internal area of 100 square metres and an outside space (loggia) of 9 square metres. TV, wifi, heating and air conditioning are all available and are included in the rental price. The apartment is newly decorated and furnished in a contemporary style and has a very light, airy ambience.
Also the apartment comes with free access to a private outdoor swimming pool (photos 19-22) complete with sun loungers, umbrellas and breathtaking country views. Open seasonally from late May to late September, this is shared with around 15 other apartment owners. (This is much quieter and more secluded than the large swimming pool complex mentioned below).
o Entrance to Hallway with stairs to upper level;
o Utility area with Miele washer/ dryer and washing area;
o Bedroom 1 (4.9m x 3.4m) with double bed, side tables and lamps and spacious built in wardrobes. Adjacent travertine marble Bathroom (3.6m x 1.6m) with rain shower, toilet, wash basin, bidet and heated towel rail;
o Bedroom 2 (4.9m x 3.4m) with twin single beds, side table and lamp and spacious built in wardrobes. Includes 3rd foldaway bed to accomodate 5th person to sleep. Adjacent travertine marble Bathroom (3.6m x 1.6m) with rain shower, toilet, wash basin, bidet and heated towel rail.
o Open plan Living, Kitchen and Dining area (8.9m x 4.9m):
o Large L-shaped sofa, glass coffee table, TV with stand, hanging egg chair;
o Fully equipped kitchen (including fridge, freezer and dishwasher) with island and two high stools;
o Glass dining table with 6 dining chairs;
o Loggia (1.8m x 4.9m)
o Wooden dining table with four chairs and coffee table
o Bathroom with toilet, rain shower and wash basin
o TV, DVD player
o Easily adjustable heating and air conditioning system
o Once a week maid service (if requested)
o 6 person dinner setting including a range of plates, bowls, cups and saucers and cutlery along with wine, water and beer glasses;
o A range of kitchen equipment including: toaster, kettle, filter coffee maker, Moka Express coffee maker, cafetiere, saucepans and bakeware, teapot, cutting boards, jugs, decanters, tea towels, general kitchen utensils;
o Duvets, pillows, bed linens, towels;
o Hair dryer, vacuum cleaner, microwave, iron and ironing board;
o Fire extinguishers.
Within 100-200 metres of the apartment:
• A main swimming pool complex consisting of 4 outdoor pools including a children's paddling pool (photos 29 & 30). The changing rooms are clean, modern and well equipped. Open seasonally from late May to late September. Please note: there are per person fees payable for entrance to the pool area as well as for the renting of sun loungers, umbrellas and towels. Rates available on request;
• Alongside the main pool area is the luxury Wellness & Beauty spa/sauna/gym and café/bar. Please note: there are per person fees payable for entrance and use of the spa, sauna and gym. Rates available on request. Open seasonally from late May to late September. The spa offers a range of treatments including massage, facials, manicure, pedicure, waxing and more;
• In Via Castello directly below the apartment are shops and boutiques offering local food, wine and oil, pharmacy products and local artisan crafts as well as clothes/ shoes fashion, leather goods and more;
• The excellent and informal family trattoria, bar & pizzeria Il Rosmarino (photos 33 & 34). Outside and indoor dining available. The pizza from the wood-burning oven is to die for! Serves lunch and dinner 6 days a week. The adjacent café is open 7 days a week.
• Situated on the ground floor of the 800 year old castle, La Rocca is a modern fine dining experience in a traditional and authentic Tuscan setting (photos 31 & 32). Outside and indoor dining available. The restaurant’s terrace enjoys panoramic views of the Tuscan countryside and is the perfect place for a peaceful, intimate dinner. The restaurant is led by Michele Rinaldi, a chef who achieved his first Michelin star at the age of 27.
• The new 5-star hotel Il Castelfalfi has an Italian fine dining restaurant La Via Del Sale and the Ecru bar open all day and evening.
SPORTS & ACTIVITIES
The following sports and activities are locally available. These are subject to availability and may be booked and paid for directly through Castelfalfi's Concierge Service or local hotels.
• Castelfalfi boasts two golf courses (photos 27 & 28) which are regarded the best and most challenging that Tuscany has to offer (green fees available on request - closed Mondays):
o 18 hole Mountain Course – Par 72
o 9 hole Lake Course – Par 37
• Mountain biking
• Spa, sauna and gym
• Horseback riding
• Organised tastings of local wine, olive oil and food
• Rosso Toscano cookery school
• Truffle and mushroom hunting
• Wild boar hunting (seasonal)
• By car:
o Central Florence – 1 hour, 10 minutes
o Florence Airport – 1 hour
o Pisa – 40 minutes
o Pisa Airport – 40 minutes
o Siena – 1 hour, 10 minutes
o San Gimignano – 25 minutes
o Lucca – 1 hour
o Livorno – 1 hour
• By train:
o Florence – 1 hour (take train from Castelfiorentino, 20 minutes away by car)