Spectacular getaway & home base for peak orca and gray whale watching seasons
- English, Spanish, Italian
About Brian Gilligan
We used to live on the Monterey Peninsula, and it has a special place in our hearts. In 2014, we decided to purchase two weeks at Carmel Highlands Inn. We hope you love the Big Sur Coast and Monterey Peninsula as much as we do!
Brian Gilligan purchased this Townhouse in 2014
Why Brian Gilligan chose Carmel-by-the-Sea
We love the Pacific coast, especially Carmel, Big Sur, Pacific Grove and Monterey!
What makes this Townhouse unique
We have a premier unit at Carmel Highlands Inn, a corner unit with a full ocean view. It really is paradise!
100% refund for cancellations more than 14 days before check-in date. 50% refund for cancellations more than 7 days before check-in date.
Great view-enjoyable stay
Please read review of the Highland Inn Hyatt -this will give you an accurate picture of the property. You will note opinions are split on this Hyatt and both are accurate- it comes down to what you’re looking for in your stay. This is our third stay in the area and we greatly enjoyed our time here and would return. However, if it is your first time to the area there are some things to know about this Hyatt property as a whole:
1. This is an old property and it shows -there are really no fancy amenities you would expect from a luxury resort
2. It is very small property compared to Hyatt’s like the one in Bastrop or Maui- do not go with the plan of staying on property for your whole trip - think of it as a home base for exploring this beautiful area
3. There is no AC (typical for the area) - so you will likely need to leave windows open on warm days. That being said - there will also be noise from outside. Also since all the units have fireplaces and there is wood piled up everywhere for them - there is a fair amount of smoke on cool days.
4. Staff were helpful and approachable, although since we were return travelers we did not need the service of the concierge.
5. Views are great - we enjoyed time in the lobby bar to watch sunrise and sunset
6. The general feel for this hotel is typical of the area- we.ve stayed in hotels in town and also felt they were a bit run down and none have central air/heat -similarly we rented homes through VRBO and they are similar. We like this property because of the view and easy drive into town and also Garrapata State park and Big Sur. We also liked access to hot tub, grills, and on site restaurant and bar with a view. This is unusual for the area in my opinion.
As pertains to this particular unit-
1. The photos online are not of the unit you will stay in- it is older, darker, and with a lesser view.
2. It was clean and beds were comfortable but carpet and furniture are showing wear and tear.
3. Balcony is small with view of roof/chimney and water over that -dramatic views of coast are to the side and left
March 15-18: Relais & Châteaux GourmetFest international food and wine festival in Carmel-by-the-Sea (5 miles north).