Set in the heart of the magical Chianti Classico region, this wonderful 6 BD – 5 BA Villa dates back to the 15th century and is strategically located with a short distance from the lively village of Castellina in Chianti.
Surrounded by an exceptionally beautiful landscape, the property is perfect to enjoy relaxing time with family & friends and caters to those who are ready to mix relaxation with the exploration of the most fabulous places in Tuscany!
*** The property video (made in July 2017) can be viewed directly on this page or at this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAIc6lRIUn4 ***
About the property.
The property has been within the family of the current owners for 4 generations. It
includes three houses out of the five that make a tiny borough called Sommavilla, an ancient settlement dating back to the 15th century.
The main villa is the oldest of the whole borough and was run by friars back in the centuries: it served as an inn on the ancient path between Chianti's main villages of Castellina in Chianti and Radda in Chianti, where travelers could stop by and get supplies for themselves and their horses.
With a total surface of approx. 4500 sq.f. the villa comes with a total of 6 bedrooms (named after their colors) and 5 bathrooms. There is also a large billiard room, three living rooms, a large wine collection and a spectacular room in the cellar, featuring some impressive and mysterious antique graffiti designs all over its walls.
Set within 50 hectares of land, the property features a vast terrace garden with a beautiful swimming pool (23x46 ft.), strategically built over an embankment overlooking the estate's olive groves, vineyards and woods.
The stunning views from the villa and its garden are absolutely unparalleled: no signs of civilization can be spotted apart from the historical village of San Polo in Rosso in the far distance and the imposing Castle of Brolio further away.
The property’s private land offers several tracks that allow for beautiful walks in the woods, where deers and hares can be easily spotted. A large aviary, where several species of exotic pheasants are bred (such as the Lady Amherst, the crested fireback and the silver pheasants) can be admired from the private garden.
The second house on the estate is a converted farmhouse and serves as the villa’s laundry facility. While the third house is an old barn, used as a garage for the estate’s machinery.
The estate is located just about 5 minutes away by car from the beautiful village of Castellina in Chianti, one of the oldest and best preserved places within the Chianti Classico territory. From the villa it is also possible to reach Castellina on foot, by taking an easy path through the woods (abt. 30 minutes walk).
Siena can be reached in just about 30 minutes by car (17 miles), while Florence can be reached within abt. a 40 minutes drive (26 miles).
Castellina in Chianti offers a wide selection of great wineries, restaurants, markets and shops. Monteriggioni and San Gimignano are both famous for their tower-spiked walls and can be easily reached from the property.
Famous piazzas, historic churches, ancient castles and renowned museums in Florence and Siena are all within easy reach as well. The village of Radda in Chianti is just about 10 minutes away, hosting Rampini, one of the area's best ceramics houses.
The Chianti region is stunning throughout the year and each season offers truly unforgettable memories, while touring the historic wine cellars and enjoying the tasting of several wonderful local wines… Strolling through the quaint streets and piazzas of the many little towns in Chianti and visiting the fresh food markets to find just the right ingredients to accompany a new bottle of wine is definitely a must!
The pool area.
The swimming pool is located at the far end of the villa’s garden so to guarantee peace and quiet for the guests resting inside the house at daytime.
There are two showers (indoor and outdoor), as well as a changing room and a bathroom. The pool is surrounded by shaded areas with comfortable deck chairs as well as a solarium with sun loungers.
There is a stone barbecue in the area as well as a dining table for up to 14 guests (strategically located under a large laurel bush, providing a fresh spot in the hot summer days). Another stone barbecue is located in the garden next to a more intimate Virginia creeper covered pergola with a stone and wrought iron table that can accommodate 8 people.
The main Villa spreads over 3 floors and comes with a total of 6 bedrooms/5 bathrooms, so to comfortably accommodate a total of 13 guests.
- Two dining rooms:
o The first (directly connected to the kitchen) can accommodate up to 8 people and comes with an old “pietra serena” fireplace, perfectly suitable for cooking on the grill (featuring a vast collection of old copper kitchen tools and three rattan chaise longues to enjoy the fireplace). This rooms also features a 42” TV with extra speaker and subwoofer, SKY satellite tv and Netflix access.
o The main dining room accommodates 14 people on a large antique “fratino” table, has three comfortable armchairs covered in vintage velvet on a soft Iranian wool carpet facing the “pietra serena” fireplace. Rare vintage Empoli glass chandeliers can also be found in the dining room.
- The main dining room gives access to the drawing room, where an impressive collection of Chianti Classico wines from the end of the Sixties/beginning of the Seventies covers a whole wall of the room from the floor to the ceiling. This wine collection has a unique value, being the only existing one so far that gathers all the labels produced by every single wine estate in the Chianti Classico area in that specific period. It also provides a very special feel to the drawing room, that features a vintage 3-seater sofa, two comfortable vintage armchairs and two Tuscan Renaissance armchairs all covered in an exquisite dark green velvet, that beautifully blends with the red silk shades of the table lamps creating a gentlemen’s club atmosphere.
The drawing room also features a “pietra serena” fireplace and a 32” TV with extra speaker and Netflix access.
- The drawing room leads the way to a spacious 33 x 33 ft. terrace, where a dining table for 14 guests and vintage rattan armchairs are arranged under a long covered pergola.
From the terrace, the view spans all over the Chianti Classico hills with only a few villages in the distance.
- On the ground floor there is a more intimate covered veranda with geraniums all along the windows and a dining table for 6 guests.
- The kitchen, which has been completely renovated in late 2016, is connected to the smaller dining room and has a working table that sits 4 guests. It is fully equipped with double dishwashers, large fridge, microwave, Nespresso coffee machine, food processor, electric squeezer, pasta machine, electric meat slicer and oven with steam function.
- The main door of the house gives access to a lawn where a large umbrella provides the shade for a round table that sits 4 guests and several sun chairs.
- There are two bedrooms on the ground floor:
The Indigo bedroom with Tuscan 19th century furniture, a wrought iron Queen size bed, “pietra serena” fireplace and ensuite bathroom;
- The Powder blue bedroom with three twin beds and Empire period furniture.
On the ground floor there is an additional bathroom with tub and shower head.
- A hall with Tuscan renaissance furniture and a vintage Italian carpet (from the Fifties) leads onto the Mauve bedroom with art deco furniture and Queen size bed.
- A small office is accessible through the hall.
- The Red bedroom (Queen bed), with its Tuscan 19th century furniture, is connected to the small office.
- A corridor leads to the Green bedroom, furnished with 19th century precious pieces and Richard Ginori lamps, as well as a brass Queen size bed.
- The Taupe bedroom features vintage Italian furniture, Richard Ginori bed lamp and two single wrought iron beds.
In total there are three bathrooms on the first floor: two with shower stall and one with tub and shower head.
Through the ground floor’s covered veranda, a large pool (billiard) room can be reached descending a staircase. A rare 19th century piece billiard table is on display in this Fifties style designed living room with 17 ft. high ceilings. The pool cues are all wooden vintage. The two areas of the pool room are decorated with antique furniture, comfortable sofas and vintage rattan armchairs. A collection of old brass wind instruments hangs on the room’s stone walls. There is also a small bar area with spirits storage.
The room also boasts three full height picture windows which give the space a sense of continuity with the outdoor garden and provide an impressive view as far as the eye can see…
Air conditioning in all bedrooms
Private swimming pool 23 x 46 ft. with infinity views
Ping pong table
42” and 32” TVs with SKY satellite channels, Netflix and sound system
Hi-Fi stereo system
Window shutters in all bedrooms
Mosquito nets in all rooms
Large private parking area
Pool (billiard) room
On site wine tasting
**“City Tax” of € 1.50 per person per night applicable for a maximum of 7 nights during the period of March 1st to October 31st, is to be paid upon arrival as per the city's regulatory rules (kids under 14 are exempt).**