--Imagine yourself rocking on the 2nd floor screened porch, watching the sun go down over the marsh, sea, and dunes.
--Imagine yourself eating dinner with friends and family in a beautiful great-room under soaring, white rafters.
--Imagine yourself relaxing in a home that is the perfect combination of beach-house casual and vacation elegance.
--Our year-round home has striking views over Barnstable Harbor and an original design from an award-winning team of architects.
--The classic, shingled exterior and light, airy interior is pleasing to the eye.
--Upstairs, a living room, dining room, and fully-equipped kitchen form a 'great room' with cathedral ceiling, heated by wood burning stove.
--Our charming sunroom, den, screened porch, and deck provide indoor and outdoor living areas.
--The tiny cabin/playhouse with deck in the woods sleeps one seeking solitude!
--We have a secluded outdoor shower, as well as two full bathrooms.
--Right off of 6A on the bay (north) side, we're a short drive to public beaches, ponds, scenic drives, historic Barnstable Village, and Cape Cod town center Hyannis.
The Story of an Upside-Down House: When we first found the property that now houses our architectural gem, the place was an overgrown briar patch without any apparent view of anything. But at the top of a tree at the highest point, we discovered a gorgeous vista of marsh, harbor and bay. An unusual idea was born: why not make the house upside-down, with the main indoor and outdoor living areas/master bedroom on the top floor and the other bedrooms/living areas on the bottom?
The stunning result: beautiful views from the upstairs living room and kitchen, which make a 'great room' with a cathedral ceiling, and from the 2nd floor screened porch off the living room, from where, drink in hand, we can watch the sun go down over the marshes. The great room was designed to give a feeling of space and light to the major living space of the house. The ceiling beams lift the eye upwards towards a ventilating cupola at the top of the space.
Because of the design, with comfortable living and sleeping areas on both floors, this house is well designed for large and multifamily groups, as there are private and 'away' spaces for all.
Outside, there is a large, grassy lawn, some sunny, some shady, with lots of room for outdoor games (badminton, croquet, etc.). Outdoor seating areas include a two-person hammock strung between two trees, second floor screened porch, and back deck with grill. We also have an adorable playhouse/retreat (with electricity and bed for one!), with wrap around deck in a wooded side yard overlooking the vernal pool.
The house and property are equipped with all amenities to make your stay comfortable:
* Quiet location with great view (large, wooded lot on a quiet cul-de-sac with a view over upper reaches of Barnstable Harbor.
* Sleeps 8 in 4 bedrooms (4 with queens, as well as an additional twin bed in 2 of the bedrooms, plus full-size futon in the sunroom). Baby crib, high chair available.
* In- and outdoor bathing facilities (2 full baths and an outdoor 'after-swim' shower).
* Fully equipped kitchen (including microwave, dishwasher, etc.; gas grill on deck.
* Classy and comfortable atmosphere (wood-burning stove in the living room); central air conditioning; dining room table and chairs for up to 10; eat-in, furnished screened porch; and oak floors/oriental rugs throughout).
* Entertainment/Communication (TV/DVD, DSL with Wi-Fi, CD player; computer/printer available; long distance phone).
* A variety of books, indoor and outdoor games, puzzles, toys, beach equipment provided. Lots of stuff for kids!
* Washing facilities (washer, dryer, ironing board and clothes line)