- English, French
The owners moved from their home on mainland Brittany to the beautiful Ile d'Arz last year. They then purchased Maison des Pecheurs as a holiday rental.
Sue purchased this Cottage in 2018
Why Sue chose Île-d'Arz
The cottage is perfect for holiday rentals for couples or small families.
What makes this Cottage unique
The peace and quiet of the island with its traffic free policy is what attracts visitors here. The beach is never more than 4ààm away wherever you are on the island. Also it is very easy to take the boat to Vannes, services run every day throughout the year.
please check when booking, terms and conditions
Minimum age of primary renter:25
Max guests:4 (sleeps up to 4 adults)
Pet Fee 15€, dogs not allowed on furniture or upstairs and must not be left in the cottage alone
A Security Deposit is held and will be returned subject to satisfactory report at the end of your stay. Compulsory cleaning fee 50€
100% refund for cancellations more than 60 days before check-in date.
vacances très agreable ,ile apaisante et magnifique,location charmante.
La location a été aménagée avec beaucoup de gout et est tout à fait charmante .Par contre on voit que n'a pas été souvent occupée,manque des choses très simples mais bien nécessaire:une paire de ciseaux de cuisine ,un étendoire à linge de bonne taille,une petite table de jardin avec chaises,un peu plus de vaisselle pour ne pas mettre trop souvent le LV des prises multiple dans la chambre et enfin une grosse marmite pour faire le homard avec une pince !!Sinon super !!!!
HISTORY OF THE ISLAND AND FISHERMAN’S COTTAGE
Île d'Arz is an archipelago of nine islands and is a commune in the Morbihan department in Brittany in north-western France, only 6 kilometres (3.7 miles) to the south-west of Vannes.
It is located in the Gulf of Morbihan. Île d'Arz and Île-aux-Moines are the only two islands of the gulf that are also communes.
The main island has been inhabited since 4000 BC. Like other communes in the area, it has been populated by Celts, Vénètes, the Romans and the Bretons who all came for the fertile land the area had to offer. From the 11th century to the French Revolution in 1789, the island was split in two causing considerable tensions, with the northern part administered by the Abbey of St Georges of Rennes and the southern part by the Abbey of St Gildas of Rhuys. The island was mainly composed of farms, mills, two priories and a church. The marine trade and taxes enabled the inhabitants to get resources from the mainland and further develop the island. Since the revolution, the island has had a long tradition of being the home of many sailors and was recently given the nickname of "Island of Captains".
Jean-Marie Le Joubioux, the well known French poet, was born in Maison des Pecheurs to a poor family of fishermen in 1806. He was distinguished by the Rector of the island of Arz, who sent him to the small seminary and then to the Grand Seminary of Vannes. He was ordained a priest in 1828.
WHAT TO SEE AND DO ON THE ISLAND
In Île-d'Arz, the climate is warm and temperate. Here you are never further than 400 meters from a beach. Many of the beaches, particularly Plage de Brouhel, are safe and shallow and not affected by tides. This makes them ideal for swimming.
WALKING AND CYCLE ROUTES
The blue circuit for walkers is 16km and takes approximately 4-5 hours.
The red route is for cyclists. It is about 10km and takes approximately 1 ½ hours
Although there are no longer oyster farmers on the island several of the old farms can be visited.
MUSEE MARINS ET CAPITAINS
This museum describes the life of an island community facing the sea and sailing, offshore and wide, in the calm or the storm.
Come and discover the history, sometimes dramatic, of these sailors & captains in the great time of the sailing Navy.
CAPTAINS’ HOUSES – there are several Captain’s houses on the island. Formerly inhabited by families of seafaring captains who spent long periods of time at sea.
POINTE DE LIOUSE
On the South end of the island stands a singular megalithic ensemble. Three ruined dolmens are embedded in a large stone slope. These three graves were excavated in 1884, and delivered pottery, fragments of flint and axes, now preserved in the Museum of history and archaeology of Vannes. These objects allow these monuments to be attributed to the Neolithic period, between 5000 and 2500 B.C. The Central dolmen, which is best preserved, have some very eroded engravings. It appears around this are several scattered stones that could form the ruins of other megalithic structures.
LE MOULIN A MAREE DE BERNO
Built in the fifteenth century, in rubble with a two-sided roof, the small mill of Berno is on a convex embankment on the sea side, 320 meters long, the largest of the tidal mills of the Gulf. It was used in the manufacture of flour on the island until the year 1910. Abandoned, but restored thanks to the formation of an Association of enthusiasts, the mill has been rehabilitated. It is one of only two tidal mills in Brittany.
The island became common land in 1790. The Mairie and the school occupy the imposing building of the old Priory, rebuilt in the eighteenth century and inscribed on a historical monument by Decree of 15 January 1979. Its history is related to that of the nearby church. To give an idea of the richness of the island before the revolution here is an excerpt from 1720: “the prior of Notre Dame withdraws about 360 pounds of his tithing, 200 pounds of a vine, 165 pounds of the mill, 90 pounds of a barrel of wheat and 60 pounds of the farm of the land , a total of 875 pounds. "