yes! we have high speed Wi-Fi for FREE!
Less than 1 mile from Ft. Sill Army Base. Close to the Wichita Wildlife Refuge and Medicine Park. Private house with large fenced yard, off-road parking, and very secure. Quiet neighborhood.
View our website for pictures and information! Hunterston Cottage, Lawton, Oklahoma!
Although we were new to VRBO in 2017, the home has been a successful guest cottage for almost 5 years privately and on other online platforms. We also have a FBpage for Hunterston Cottage where you can connect with us for additional photos and information.
TWO furnished bedrooms with shared hall bathroom include: QUEEN size Bed, fresh towels/ Bed linens, dresser, closet, and nightstand. The home has Central heat and air-conditioner. WiFi, locking bedroom doors, and security surveillance cameras. There is lots of OFF STREET parking in a the large, fenced yard.
In the common areas of the house there is access to a fully stocked kitchen --- refrigerator, microwave, blender, coffee maker, skillets, pots and pans, silverware and dishes, veggie steamer, juicer, food processor, etc.
Continental breakfast is INCLUDED in price -- fruit, hot/cold cereals, toast/jam, coffee, tea.
Guests have access to the complete and entire first floor. When you book, it's YOUR HOUSE during your stay - no other guests! The entire BnB is your family!
Entire main floor -- includes 2 bedrooms, bathroom, kitchen, dining room, living room, and porch coffee nook as well as the entire 1 acre yard and garden areas. No access to out buildings or basement apartment and laundry area -- laundry will be done by Hostess and returned folded for guests booked FOR AT LEAST FOUR NIGHTS. Set laundry at the top of the stairs in the provided basket by 11 am and send hostess a text. Laundry will be done and returned by 6 pm same day.
Each Bedroom sleeps 2 people (queen size bed) and in the living room, there are two large couches that each sleep one person. The couches are best for people less than 5'8" tall. Couches will have sheets and pillows for sleeping. I can provide a single size air mattress in the space between the dining room and living room if that would be preferred. Please ask in advance of your stay.
I am available for any assistance that you may need during the stay, and I am happy to advise you on the local sites to see, shopping, and travel tips if you are new to Lawton/Ft. Sill. If you like, I can also arrange transportation for sight-seeing or even guide you on a hike through the wildlife refuge!
The cottage is located in a quiet and safe area.
Pharmacy, department stores, grocery stores, etc, are all within 1 mile distance.
You can WALK to several restaurants or drive to many more.
Feel free to ask if you have any questions. I want to do whatever I can to make sure that your stay is comfortable.
House is well-maintained and with original art, antique furniture, and other antiques. This IS, above all else, a family home filled with several generations of heirlooms. Our oldest family heirloom in the house dates to the early-mid 1600s. Bonus points if you can identify it!! :-) PLEASE DO NOT move antiques, china, and other furnishings around. All the China is between 50 and 90 years old. Some pieces are very rare and valuable. Please also refrain from opening every drawer and door on all the antique furniture. Some of them stick and can easily be pulled off track. ((There's always that ONE snoopy guests who just has to go through everything and look in every cabinet ---don't be THAT person)).
If you enjoy art, antiques, and you will LOVE staying in this home. Please feel free to ask for information about anything you see in the Cottage! There is a LOT of history inside!
***Please note there is an apartment in the basement where I have an office, bedroom, and laundry room. I will -- as needed-- enter through the back door and descend the stairs to the basement during daytime hours. Unless there is an emergency, I will not need in there at night. The door to the apartment is locked and guests will not have access to this area. However, in the event of severe weather, I will meet the guests in the stairwell and escort them into the basement and stay there with them until any weather threats have passed. I have another small house across the street that I use for an office and storage. I stay in that home when guests are at the Cottage. I'm less than half a football field away if you need me! I will check in with you daily to do dishes/cleaning/maintenance as needed, do laundry in the basement apartment, etc. I also make breakfast/lunch at the cottage -- but I will try not to be there when you are -- but during the summer you will see me more as I have a large garden. Generally, time on site is limited as I do work as restaurant consultant, book editor, freelance writer, and ESL instructor online.
In the Dining Room -- THERE IS a printer for guests to use to print out boarding passes or other urgent matters. Super fast internet.
large MAPS of Lawton and Wildlife Refuge available to study (in the Dining Room)
There is no TV. We ask that our guests relax and interact with their traveling companions/family, other guests, read, or just sit outside (weather permitting) and just let go of the need to constantly be "plugged in" to technology.
((Games available -- Board games and card games))
The Hunter House is a treasure trove of antiques and original art.
Please enjoy but do not touch or handle!!! :-)
Relax, talk, unplug from the world!
It's an old hardwood floors creak when someone walks across them. Nothing we can do about that!
((Free WIFI but please no "streaming" or huge downloads.))
NO PETS - NO SMOKING ON PROPERTY - NO CIGARETTES CARRIED INTO HOME
--As of July 2018, the home has not had a dog in the home for over 15 months and there has been no cat in the home for over a decade.
Guests with pet or cigarette allergies should book with confidence!
Anyone who violates the no smoking/no pets rule will automatically lose their deposits and will be asked for additional funds to bring the home back to allergen free status.
House manual -- By booking, you agree to the following:
1. Please no smoking anywhere on the property---read that sentence twice. If you aren't going to follow it, please don't book. No alcohol on the property w/o host/hostess consent --not a problem if no one underage is present!
2. You may use any kitchen dishes/utensils. Please wash dishes and use in sink drying rack to dry (may also use dishwasher as a DRYING rack). ONLY Hostess will load/unload dishwasher to run unless agreed otherwise. Please let Hostess know if you will be cooking big meals. (not all dishes/utensil are dishwasher avoids damage and the guests having to pay for damaged items)
3. Only one load of laundry per day please! Leave laundry at top of Basement stairs in clothes basket (provided) by 8 am —-send hostess a text that there is laundry—-/and laundry will be cleaned, dried, folded and returned by 6 pm. (this is only available for guests who have booked at least 4 nights)
4. Towels and bed linens provided... If you need additional towels or linens, please ask. Shampoo, Conditioner, Shower and hand soaps provided. Blow dryer in bathroom and one in each bedroom.
5. Breakfast foods provided ( cereals, bread for toast, jam, fresh fruits, non-dairy milk/coffee creamer, water, coffee, hot tea, condiments). Please ONLY eat in the kitchen and dining room. No food in any other rooms.
6. No unregistered guests anywhere on the property without prior approval of host/hostess - visitors Welcome! We just need to know! :-) This INCLUDES following the rule of NO CHILDREN under the age of 12.
7. Please no moving any furniture, antiques, or personal items/decorations in the home. Do not touch or handle the artwork or china. This is first and foremost, a family home. Please no adjusting window dressings or Central Heat/AC. Contact Hostess for all adjustments.
8. We reserve the right to ask you to leave at anytime we feel that your behavior and/or actions so warrants.
9. Check out is by 10 am if not staying another night. Check in is between 3 and 9 pm UNLESS arrangements are made in advance of travel. Early check-in may be possible in some cases. Later check-in is generally not available.
10. Home is "shoe-free". Shoes will be left in the foyer so please bring socks, slippers, house shoes, or get a pedicure and go barefoot!
11. Please keep driveway gate closed when not entering/exiting.
PLEASE NOTE -- Home is more than 15 months (as of July 2018) without a dog in the home and over a decade since a cat was in the home. We regretfully cannot accommodate any service animals IN ORDER to continue to accommodate guests with severe pet dander/fur allergies.
If you have an allergy to pet fur and/or dander, please book with confidence.
Please also note that the home and the furnishings are also free from any tobacco or vapor smoking.
Anyone who violates these rules -- no animals, no smoke -- will be subjected to the cleaning costs by professionals to bring the home back to allergen free status.
Thank you for NOT doing anything that would cause the home to be compromised.