For groups of up to 21 guests including children over 3 yrs
About Sue McGrath
Hi my name is Sue MCgrath and I have been managing Blo Norton Hall since 2009 where it was refurbished. With such a beautiful property my job is very easy, we love to rent it out so you and your families can enjoy the house for the many different events you would like to hold with a large group of people. Its great for Anniversary celebrations, catching up with old friends, Wedding receptions as you can put a marque up in the garden, families with children of all ages as they love hunting around in the gardens playing hide n seek and finding the secret play area in the woods. My staff and I also love to stay here as well as work here, its a very special place.
Sue McGrath purchased this Chateau / Country House in 2009
Why Sue McGrath chose Diss
Blo Norton Hall is not modern, but does have Wi-FI, you cant get a phone signal unless you stand in the center of the front garden, the furniture is antique and the floors uneven but what it lacks in Hotel sophistication it makes up for with character and it has bundles of it! I love it for its quirkiness and when children arrive their faces light up, for they see how great hide and seek is going to be. Its very special to me and I am sure it will become to you, some of our guests have been returning year after year, it grows on you.
What makes this Chateau / Country House unique
The house is about coming together and a celebration of family events. You find yourselves talking to each other because we do not have Hi tech equipment or X boxes, the phones don't work very well so you find communication becomes key, even the kids join in! We are not one of these places who hike up all the bank holiday rates, we have 3 rates and pass the discounts on to everyone, so you pay a low rate Jan - July, that's right no increase for Easter or May bank holidays, there's a summer rate and of course Christmas and New year. We believe that everyone should benefit especially those with young children. We hope you enjoy as much as I and my staff enjoy working and maintaining it.
100% refund for cancellations more than 60 days before check-in date.
Stayed here with family and friends ranging in age from 4 - 70 and everyone of us loved everything about this house .Full of character and surprises - 21 of us but more than enough space, cutlery crockery everything you need ,very clean, expected it might be cold at this time of year but quite the opposite .Excellent communication with owner and housekeeper for all our queries before we went .Booked caterers in for saturday night and had lovely meal.
Fabulous birthday weekend worth every penny .
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. So pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay. If you return in the future please do contact me so we can make sure you receive your returning discount.
Have a very Merry Christmas and Healthy New Year.
Sue and the Blo Norton Team.
Fab hen weekend
The house is lovely and has everything you need there was 19 of us on a hen weekend and we had a great time
So much potential - but ultimately disappointing
All the points made below have been reported to the owners who have responded positively and may well have dealt with many of them. However we had a disappointing family weekend. The Hall has vast potential , it is charming, quirky and atmospheric, however it currently feels a bit unloved and in need of more attention to detail. Our main concerns were:
• The level of cleanliness is inadequate. On first inspection it seems OK but as soon as you need to look under furniture as we did when trying to sort out the hornet infestation and in hiding clues for a treasure hunt there are lots of cobwebs and grime. The Hall is overdue for a deep clean.
• The garden and drive are overgrown. The initial impression of the Hall is dark and dismal as the drive is overgrown and dark, you cannot drive down it without your vehicle touching the bushes on either side of the drive. We were expecting a garden we could sit out in and play games, despite the drought for several weeks beforehand the grass was long and the bushes had grown so it was not possible to walk between them without getting wet or dirty.
• The details say there are 2 gas barbeques and a coal barbeque, there is no coal barbeque, both gas barbeques were filthy and only one had any gas. We found spare gas bottles but they were chained up.
• We had a hornet infestation (each about 1.5 inches). Worst affected was the Ghost Room where the occupants had to move out on the Friday night. Maintenance responded very quickly but there were still lots around the Hall for the rest of the stay. The problem seems much worse at night and I suspect it is the light that attracts them.
• We noticed many of the plates were dirty and discovered this was because neither of the dishwashers was working properly, the one at the far end of the kitchen is much the worse of the two. We rewashed most of them by hand.
• Three of our party reported being bitten by bed bugs, the couple in the bedroom on the second floor and one of the couple in bedroom 1.
Beautiful, quiet and secluded hall.
We had a lovely weekend celebrating a big birthday with all the family. The bedrooms are enormous, with almost all ensuite. Kitchen was large and well equipped for all 17 of us. 3 different sitting rooms meant plenty of indoor space. Gardens were lovely for exploring. Bbq was good with 2 bbqs and a huge table but it could do with a bit more space around the table and chairs. Weather was fantastic too. A really memorable weekend, thanks.
Beautiful building, was a real privilege to get to stay there. Would highly recommend
Amazing heritage property... the chance to live like a Lord for the week!
Spacious hall and gardens with a traditional feel. Great for a large family party! And remote from the village if you like to get away from it all ☺