|Minimum Stay||1 - 7 nights|
Your booking will be backed by our Book with Confidence Guarantee when you complete your reservation online and finalise payment on HomeAway.Learn more
Built in authentic Swahili style, exquisitely finished and furnished, Forodhani House sleeps comfortably 10 to 13 people, in 5 ensuite bedrooms (3 double and 2 triple), all with stunning sea-views.
With lots of different areas to take it easy in (near the pool, in main lounge, garden, dining room, or on barazza beds/seats, shaded or not, at ground, 1st or 2nd floors, in little lounge bar, or on top top terrace), it is really the ideal place to spend holidays on the beach with family or friends (10 adults or 3 families), be lulled by the lapping waves and cooled by the gentle sea breeze which is so refreshing at these latitudes.
Here you will be able to relax (4 staff, among them a very good cook, to pamper you), enjoy the pristine white sand beach and its activities (sailing, swimming, snorkeling, windsurfing, fishing…), discover Lamu Old Town and Shela (the rich Swahili culture and its welcoming atmosphere)... take the most of Nature, which is truly at its best... and have fun too !
Forodhani house is white, with round or Arabic arches which frame sea views, sky at day or night, and sails sliding silently. Palm trees, ylang-ylang’s, frangipanes, bougainvilleas add some colors and scents.
And from Forodhani House, because of its particular location, the show is always there : you are having breakfast and you happen suddenly to see school of sardines jumping, trying to escape barracudas, or dolphins swimming up the Channel, or a friends’ dhow sliding from one arch to the other, or a fishermen boat coming from the open seas with load of tunas.
It’s both relaxing and so interesting !
We'll take great care of you ! Enjoy a really fantastic time !
Lots of points of interests around our/your Holiday Home.
To name but a few, all are in our 'welcome book' at home for you of course, but some also here below to give you an idea of what could be your daily cool routine here :
- Shela Marine Watersports : Dhow Sailing With Experienced Captains, Snorkeling or scuba diving in Indian Ocean on Coral Reefs, colorful fishes all around you, Swimming with Dolphins, yes, truly, and what I recommend strongly also is a/many Sunset Cruise(s), Always magic !
- Babu British : Guided Tours With Knowledgeable Native Tour Guides : The Old Town of Lamu is a Unesco World Heritage Site and a must-visit, walk through the streets of Lamu and have a look at these beautiful pieces of ancient Swahili architecture, art, and more. Also explore Takwa Ruins, the remains of an ancient Swahili Settlement.
- Join the Yoga Sessions during your holidays in Shela Village at Fatuma’s Tower (5pm) or at Banana House (9am) daily. They also regularly organize Yoga Retreats and Workshops. Back to the Living !
- Peponi Hotel Restaurant : 100 meters from Forodhani House, on the beach. Simply one of the best dining in East Africa ! A very cool place and terrace for a drink too. Love it !
- Aman Shop : Beautiful clothes, jewelery and leather work ! Aman recreates and adapts styles in pure cotton and silk for the modern consumer who seeks a similar aesthetic, at the same time looks for ease, comfort and pleasure. Don’t miss it ! It's in Shela Village.
- Gallery Baraka : A very fine collection of African arts and crafts, interesting masks, statues, pieces of furnitures from all Africa, Lamu Old Town. Kate the owner is lovely and knows so much about all Africa and Lamu of course too.
- Ali Lamu and My Eye Gallery : Beautiful Art and Paintings Collection, in Shela Village, also lovely bags, decoration ideas.... all done by fishermen with recycled tangas. Unique !
- Kijani Restaurant : The kitchen offers all types of fish, lobsters, crabs and prawns fresh from the sea, along with meat and fresh vegetables, together with African and Italian specialties. On Shela seaside too.
- Lamu House Restaurant : A nice terrace overlooking the Harbour of Lamu Old Town, with a nice menu combining the delights from the sea, prepared with a European touch while respecting the Swahili kitchen. Frank and Marianne run the Lamu House Beach Club on Manda Island, just in front of Forodhani House, across the Channel, a cool and lounge place to spend the afternoon, have lunch on mattresses on the beach.
And some words now about how to get to Forodhani House and Lamu...
- Lamu/Manda Airport : It is possible to fly to Lamu from Nairobi (both Jomo Kenyatta International Airport and Wilson Airport), Mombasa, or Malindi. There are several daily flights (Air Kenya, Safarilink or Fly 540) but note that the flights get booked well in advance - even out of season if you are unlucky. Planes land on Manda Island just across from Lamu town and Shela. Nassir, our Laleti Boat captain, will come and pick you up there to drive you home.
- Tawacal Buses : There are several buses also going up from Mombasa and Nairobi. The trips are a neat experience if you don’t mind the lack of luxury. There are several departures from both Malindi and Mombasa every day. The bus routes end in Mokowe, which is a few kilometers from Lamu Island. We can arrange your picking up there also to drive you by boat to Lamu and your holiday home.
Our guests feed-backs are so rewarding and encouraging ; hope sincerely you also would be able to discover this little paradise and see by your own eyes why they are talking about the place so greatly.
I just wanted to extend my appreciation to you guys and the team at Forodhani. Our stay in Lamu was absolutely phenomenal. The house was wonderful, staff very accommodative and Lamu, breathtaking. We shall definitely be back soon!
Hi Isabelle and all the crew of Forodhani house, wishing you another amazing year in Lamu, hoping to see you very very soon in your magic palace on the water, sipping Madafu upon glorious sunsets, this is the one and absolutely only place on earth where time truly stops and One can fully resource of positive energy, see you soon guys, very very soon !!! Frank Kylie Annalie and Cammie
Forodhani House overlooks the Indian Ocean waters.
I loved this place and these holidays, very caring and sweet staff, beautiful beach and sea-views, amazing location, the swahili people, their culture, their smiles... Come to Lamu and Forodhani you'll probably enjoy like us your best holidays ever.
Beautiful Holiday House, we warmly recommend it for its increbible location and service. The team was amazing, the cook very good. We enjoyed so much going for sunset sail just from the feet of the house.
We stayed 5 nights at Forodhani House. We had a great time and can thoroughly recommend this place. The rooms are great and very spacious. It was great to wake up to the sound of the Indian Ocean waves. The staff is very friendly. The food was great as well, especially the very fresh seafood options.
Forodhani House offers also excellent activities, such as snorkelling, water-sports and excursions. Babu was a great guide and we had a lot of fun while also learning a lot about the island and its culture. Overall we felt very well taken care of and can really recommend this place for everyone who likes to relax in a beautiful setting. I would recommend to stay a bit longer if possible
I booked Forodhani House to finish up a safari in Kenya. We arrived tired hot and dusty from a quite long journey but after a warm welcome at Mokowe (where we left our car) by the charming guests relation manager, and with complimentary fresh fruit juices and an introduction to the island, we were shown the whole house. It sits just along the beach. It was perfect. The Villa is large, very well decorated, clean, with lots of little touches to make our stay comfortable. We could feel the aches and pains drift away already.
I chose Forodhani House for its stunning location beach and sea-views but here this does not mean going without luxury. All showers are spacious with copious warm water and the beds had fresh crisp linen. The food cooked by our Chef, Amos, was always delicious and well presented with ample choice. Best of all was the friendly staff from the house to the water sports staff around and to the sweet lady who gave me one of the best massage in Africa. While we were there sardins jumped out of the ocean in front of us to escape bigger fishes, quite often when we were having breakfast, we saw once a kingfish jumping in front of us too, just 100 meters from Forodhani, we went to see turtles clutches on the island just in front too ! Wonderful wildlife also here, we didn't come for it, it was a great surprise !
Amazing House in Lamu, on the beach. Total relaxation. Fabulous views. Great service & food. Be prepared to relax and do nothing. A great place to stay if you want to fully chill out and just dream
Located on Shela Beach, in Lamu, off the East Coast of Kenya, Forodhani House is a beautiful beach front holiday house with truly stunning location and wonderful sea views. It's the perfect setting for relaxing with family or friends on the beach, discovering Lamu Old Town (Unesco World Heritage Site), the rich Swahili culture and its so welcoming, peaceful and magic atmosphere.
The Holiday House itself sits on the beach, at the beginning of the 12km pristine white sand beach of Shela and Lamu, with all comfort, breathtaking sea views and a direct access to the must-seen historical/cultural sites and all activities (visiting, sailing, swimming, snorkeling on coral reefs, wind or kite surfing, water skiing, fishing...).
Lamu Old Town and Shela Village are great for shopping and packed with museums, arts galleries and funny shops. Nature is at its best here (turtles clutch, swimming with dolphins, even whales watching on season).. .and you can have lost of fun too, good spots to have a drink, relax, talk with friendly people, dance if you wish to, on the beach or in 2 or 3 really trendy and cool places around !
There's sincerely a lot to enjoy fully relaxing and unforgettable beach holidays and have a fantastic time !
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event Price|
Xmas-NYear Season 2015/2016
17 Dec 2016 - 6 Jan 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
My Standard Rate
1 night minimum stay
for 1 night
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
A deposit of 50% is needed to confirm your booking. It is un-refundable. The balance is due 3 months before coming.
* Approximate monthly price. Actual pricing will depend on the days of the month you stay.