Recent Reviews

  • Stunning rural location
    4 of 5

    This house has the most amazing views we have ever experienced! Just as the photos depict. The house itself is also an amazing conversion of old farm buildings. From the 1st floor main bedroom, study and ground floor living room you get breathtaking views overlooking the Douro River. Similarly the terrace and pool give you an amazing view point. The pool (approx 3-4 SQM swimming area) has very efficient filtration and stayed clean and free from bugs during our 2 weeks stay without much effort from us. We brought with us a couple of lilos which became my favourite thing to do, floating while gazing at the river with a glass of wine in my hand! The house is remote but perfect if you want peace & quiet! 90% of the time all you can hear is the sound of water, birds, cruising boats and church bells. The other 10% of the time you might hear loud conversations echoing across the valley or the odd crash, bang of house renovations or a dog barking. Nothing much to disturb the peace. You do need to prepare yourself for a driving holiday as most of the sight seeing is about 40-60mins drive away including Porto. We alternated our sightseeing with pool days. Marco de Canaveses is a 20min drive for shopping and stocking up at the supermarkets (the Continente is the best). Patricia is a lovely HomeAway owner and is happy to meet guests and greet you at the house. Her google coordinates (R. do Rio 771) and directions are very helpful. On arrival Patricia will tell you all about the house and give tips on what to visit. So even if you’ve had a long journey you need to pay attention because there’s nothing written down that remains in the house to refer to. Our sightseeing highlights: Quinta de Covela for wine tasting tour. The Pathways walk at Paiva, it’s good to take a picnic and water! Paddle boarding with Enjoy Douro. I haven’t given this property 5/5 stars as we felt the exterior looked a bit tired and needed improving and needed some additional comforts inside. In places the decking around the pool was in a very poor condition. Not as per photos taken at the beginning of the renovation. Also the ‘garden’ consisted of dead plants and could have benefited from some sort of irrigation. The green sun loungers were very aged and the 1 parasol wasn’t enough for a family of 4 and really needed replacing. The main bedroom lacked storage and a comfy chair/s. All bedrooms needed proper floor standing fans. This is an amazing place to stay and we would h

    Stayed: Sep 2018
  • Fantastic house in a beautiful location with a great pool and a very welcoming host!
    5 of 5

    We had a fantastic holiday (a group of 8) at this lovely Douro property. Alexandra could not have been more helpful; a organizing daily bread delivery, a private boat trip and even a home delivered restaurant meal. The house was very comfortable, and the pool table was big hit. As well as the outdoor pool, which was great, the delights of river Douro were just a short walk away.

    Stayed: Jul 2018
x