We stayed for 1 week with Valerie and Christophe in their delightful gite in this truly tranquil part of Pitou Charente. The warmth of reception we received was among the warmest we have received on arrival in any gite with a hamper of local produce and fresh flowers waiting on the table. Truly delightful and the images really do reflect the charm of the gite with quality bedding and good standards of housekeeping and plenty of very hot water.
Disappointingly though, we did experience some problems and they were;
• Wireless broadband was not working on arrival and took 2-3 days to resolve
• On arrival the heating was switched off and since it was unseasonably cold, we were provided with 2 electric heaters, one of which exploded but was not replaced. At this point the central heating was turned on but only operated at blood temperature at best
• The dishwasher broke down on day 2 and flooded the kitchen floor. When it was examined by Christophe the filter was revoltingly filthy and clearly hadn’t been cleaned since last season. It didn’t work again and wasn’t repaired so we washed dishes by hand.
• The satellite TV system didn’t work so no UK TV, and again despite mentioning it, it was not repaired.
• The filter coffee machine only worked intermittently but given the above, we had given up at this point
Finally, we were somewhat surprised to say the least that on the last day of our stay, Christophe enquired if we wanted to pay the post stay cleaning fee of 50 euro – or would we prefer to do it ourselves! When I replied that we would certainly do it ourselves, we were presented with a selection of cleaning materials that Valerie would prefer us to use…
Given that we paid 700 euro for 1 week we were hoping for somewhat more luxury than this.
The Carrefour store in Archiac (about 5 minutes away) is well stocked and great for provisions. Locally there is a great little restaurant, again about 5 minutes away which is not mentioned in the visitor information pack called Aux Delices Du Terroir in Criteuil which is well worth a visit and is reasonably priced.