Dogs need a holiday too, and where better to take them than the beach, for long runs and a splash around in the sea? If you’re planning your coastal break and don’t want to leave your furry friend at home, we’ve sought out the best beaches and holiday homes that welcome you both. All of the following beaches are open to dogs year round unless otherwise stated.
How to have a ball on the beach with your dogs
- Check signposts (or local websites in advance) for any rules about areas where pooches have to be kept on a lead.
- Bring some balls or toys for a game of fetch.
- Factor in some rest breaks where you and your dog can rehydrate, refuel, and, if it’s sunny, enjoy a few minutes in the shade.
- Keep an eye on your dog if they have a swim—make sure they don’t go out too far.
- Discourage them from drinking seawater and eating anything they find on the beach (bring snacks to divert their attention from random morsels).
- Rinse them thoroughly before you leave (remember to bring a towel) or when you get back to your holiday rental to save them getting irritated by salt and sand.
- Pick up after your pooch to leave the beach safe and clean for other visitors.